• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Yeah, I decided to say "Screw It!" and keep the end clear... Instead I'm going to run the CL through the bottom and the sump return will come up through the overflow and then pipe along the length of the tank so I can have it still force water toward the overflow from the column side.

I finished sanding out the 2nd display panel last night and now it's time to get the bottom and top done. The top will take a while... Here's the rendering of all the cuts I have to make.

Top-1.jpg

not yet... i've been trying to think of ways to seal it back together. I want it to look seamless... i'll have to go over those old PMs and see what you told me before. Been really busy lately!

Keep up the good work man.

Dude thats going to be so beautiful... What kind of timeline are you looking at on this? I would love to do something like this in my house, never worked with acrylic though, but I guess its just another trade to add on to the ever growing list :P

I don't have a timeline, other than get it built and setup as soon as I can. At this point I just have to finish sanding the top and bottom pieces then cut out for the bracing in the top. Once that is done I'll start putting it together. After that, the sump will need to be built, then the skimmer will need to be built, then a canopy, install the lights, plumb everything, and then I can fill it. Going to take a while, but every step will be documented, so if there is something you anticipate wanting extra detail on, let me know and I'll take it step by step and maybe even video/s if it's necessary.

-E

I don't have a timeline, other than get it built and setup as soon as I can. At this point I just have to finish sanding the top and bottom pieces then cut out for the bracing in the top. Once that is done I'll start putting it together. After that, the sump will need to be built, then the skimmer will need to be built, then a canopy, install the lights, plumb everything, and then I can fill it. Going to take a while, but every step will be documented, so if there is something you anticipate wanting extra detail on, let me know and I'll take it step by step and maybe even video/s if it's necessary.

-E

I'm definitely interested in how your going to cut out the top bracing part, I'm not very familiar with cutting plastics/acrylic. I'm gonna follow this thread, this is too cool of a project.

Thanks guys, I haven't decided on a pump yet, but due to the amount of pipe it will have to travel, I'll likely go with either the Pan World or the Eheim.

Sorry for the slowness of the build, but here's an update:

-All 4 12' pieces are now sanded, polished, and cut to length.

-I have my becketts for building my own skimmer.

-Cabinet door mount has been assembled and is ready for paint.

-Cabinet doors are ordered and will be here in approx 10 days.

-Construction on the top for euro and bracing has begun.

Here's some quick pics, more details on the top will come, I plan to show two methods (without and with a jig).

DSCN4306.jpg

DSCN4308.jpg

DSCN4309.jpg

DSCN4310.jpg

As soon as it's ready... I know that's pretty foggy, but I have so much to do still that I can't even tell when it will have water in it. :( Even once it's built, I can't tell you when water will be in it as I have to have the basement signed off (inspection) incase they try to make me install electrical boxes in the tank stand. Code here requires an electrical box within 6' of any spot on the wall (12' between boxes) and I don't have any boxes in this stand. I'm hoping they will allow me to classify it as furniture as I have no intentions of installing electricity under the tank. *fingers crosses*

Left to do:

Finish basement:

-Hang 2 more doors

-Finish installing trim

-Finish the stairs (build pecan stair treds)

-Install stair hand rail

-Install stair banister

-Replace glass on broken window ;)

-Install vent covers

-Install door hardware

-Install closet doors

Aquarium:

-Finish building top of tank

-Assemble tank

-Build skimmer

-Buy return and skimmer pump(s)

-Build sumps

-Assemble cabinet door unit (w/ locks for kids)

-Drill for plumbing

-Install plumbing

-Build canopy

-Install lighting

-Buy rock and sand

Edited by calvin415

Alrighty... So here's my two techinques, the first is without a jig and would probably apply to most nano tanks, as they don't need any cross bracing (well most)... Please mind the pics, I'm still in the process of finishing the top but wanted to show you the steps.

First, mark out your area...

DSCN4309.jpg

Next, drill out each corner with a 1-2" radius (2-4" diamater) hole saw, this step is important as the curve really strengthens the bracing. I've seen many tops crack in these corners when they are cut to a square or small radius.

DSCN4310.jpg

Next is to router from tangent to tangent along the edge of your access hole. First is clamp a straight edge alone the line to give your router a guide, or you can move it in a little for a quick rough cut and allow for an easy and clean final pass.

DSCN4335.jpg

Rough cut

DSCN4333.jpg

Final pass

DSCN4334.jpg

Do this for all 4 edges.

DSCN4332.jpg

And you're done.

DSCN4331.jpg

Okay, so here's the steps with a jig. First you have to build the jig, and this is done by using the same method we just did but with MDF or another suitable material. Then position the jig where you want the access hole.

DSCN4323.jpg

Drill a pilot hole...

DSCN4324.jpg

DSCN4325.jpg

Here is the router bit I use... It's a flush trim bit, but with the bearing mounted on the bottom instead.

DSCN4329.jpg

I run an initial pass as a rough cut and then a final pass to remove the last of the material. This final pass reduces chipping and heat on the bit as there is less material to remove.

DSCN4330.jpg

And done.

DSCN4331.jpg

Be warned... I vaccumed between each shot, as you, your router, your acrylic, and work space will be covered in this!

DSCN4337.jpg

Top is done! :D Stay tuned for assembly shots...

DSCN4343.jpg

DSCN4340.jpg

DSCN4346.jpg

I also got my ATO reservoir today in the mail... 15g w/ bulkhead in the bottom.

DSCN4344.jpg

1 end is done.

Here's my prep:

For pins I use 2 strands of copper wires, twisted together.

DSCN4352.jpg

DSCN4354.jpg

Clamp the end at a 90* angle, and ensure it's also 90* to the edge.

DSCN4349.jpg

DSCN4350.jpg

Apply your solvent (I use WeldOn 3; in our climate 4 evaporates too quickly). I'm using a 16g syringe I got in the mail this week, it was supposed to be a bottle not a syringe so I'm trying it out. I think I'll be calling Tap to ensure I get a bottle next time, as I don't like the inconsitency of the plunger. Sometimes it's easy to push, sometime it's like a rock.

DSCN4357.jpg

DSCN4359.jpg

Once it's soaked and pins are pulled I apply 2 clamps. I don't tighten them much, just enough to keep them from falling. Once I have this side done (both ends), I can just use weights for the other side.

DSCN4363.jpg