• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

I appreciate the offer but I think I have it under control, just need to take the time to do it. That is once I know what I'm doing.

Need some more input... 1 overflow or 2?

GrandeGixxer

I would just do the 1 overflow. With the 2, you aren't really going to gain anything, but you will ba wishing you had that side to look through every time you look through the tank. For the C/L, look into a 4 way from Ocean Motions. Even with the dart, you might be disapointed with the flow out of 6 outlets at once. I think the pond liner will be fine.

Have you thought about a single overflow in the center? You could make it about 3"x6" and build some rockwork around it to cover it up. That way, it wouldn't even look like you have an overflow... might need to enlarge the dimensions, but at least with water flowing over 4 sides, the chances of overflowing the tank would be minimized

I've had ocean motions before and they work great, but I don't think it's going to be a big deal for an LPS tank. If it was SPS, definately would need the random flow, but it's just to keep things from settling... Even with 50% head loss thats like having a maxijet 1200 every 2 ft.

Want to try to hide as much as I can so center overflow is out. Guess I'm now torn, hopefully I can get some more votes to help the decision.

No, that's what the 225 is for. ;)

Well, the flooring got here today (60 boxes of it) 42 of them are in the basement (12 can be seen the other 30 are in the bottom corner). :D Boy did that suck moving it down there. Anyway, the primer is still wet so please mind the uneven look.

DSCN3919.jpg

Thanks mskurdah! I don't want to extend the column width, as I may need to remove everything down the road and that would be a lot of work to remove (and build now that it's all done). If I go with 2 overflows the ends will be black acrylic for a clean look, but just torn on which way to go. I may just take the advise and do a water test with one and then see if I need a second. Thanks for the comments. :D

Acrylic for the side panels has been ordered. Delivery is either late today or tomorrow. Once the perimeter is built, I'll order the acrylic for the top and bottom.

Thanks, I'm not sure if Bullnose is the right term or not, I know it is the term for tiles but out here we call rounded corners "rounded corners", pretty original huh? ;)

Acrylic for the two viewing panels is in the garage waiting for me to perfect a perfect butt joint so I can have my two 12' pieces needed. Once I have those I will create the perimeter and I hope to have some additional funds by next week to order the acrylic for the top and bottom (also will have to be butt jointed to create the 12' sections). As for the basement, I just need to paint the ceiling so I can install the flooring, shouldn't take more more than a day or two. I will be taking time off from work this week, Wednesday thru Monday so I hope to get some progress made. :D

Once the tank is built, the next step will be coming up with the funds for all the equipment, doors, trim, furniture and another HD Flat Screen. Got the BMW sold and money is in the bank, but another car will be needed down the road. :( Man, the waiting game sucks.

Edited by calvin415

No, sold the BMW so we could buy something with more room, but don't need another vehicle for about another 10 mo or so...

Shadowrider

The level of creativity and talent for woodworking and carpentry of the people on this forum continues to amaze me. I'm anxious to see the finished project, inhabited by all manner of reef denizens. I'm a total noob at setting up and maintaing a "large" tank but I've had a 29g bio cube running for about a year now. I'm sure I'll be relying on the prodigious amount of knowledge around here to help me provide a good home for my aquatic friends.

This is an awesome idea. I love long tanks, and this takes it to the extreme. Good lookin' wood-work so far.

I think 1 overflow with the return at the other end + CL will be plenty of flow for LPS. You'd regret not having the 3rd viewing panel if you went with 2 overflows. You'll also be happy with the 40" height. My 40b stand that I built is at 40". That's a 16" tall tank and I think it's about perfect. A 15" tall tank should be great too. I don't check in here at N-R much lately, work has been busy and the last thing I need is the inspiration to spend more money on fish tanks right now, but I'll be checking in to see the progress of this monster frequently.

Good work, as always, calvin415!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate the kind words... Here's an update, the floors are installed... Next will be trim, but not sure on an ETA as I want to start building the tank sometime soon. The acrylic (2 8' pieces and 2 4' pieces to become 2 12' pieces) is stacked on the stand. :D

DSCN3931.jpg

Thanks lalani, the rounded corners were a must have when we built the house, so naturally we continued it into the basement. I think it really adds the finishing touch, now if only installing trim around the rounded corners was a easy. LOL ;)