SaltCritters.com

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

I too have a 12 footer... but its not a tank.

A 12 foot belt huh? That's too bad... You know nothing grows in the shade right? ;)

AHAHAHA :lol::haha: Kraylen never ceases to amaze me...

By the way Calvin, good work, keep on keepin on! :)

Thanks! I have some work to do on the stand (going to pour a self leveling platform to ensure even support the entire length) and then I'll post some more pics. :D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Where you located Kraylen, other than 602/480/408?

Reefone, yes... Will be doing 8x80w T-5's and a single VHO actinic down the center.

T-5 T-5 VHO T-5 T-5

Im located in Mesa, Arizona. 85210

Cool, I have a ton of co-workers in Phoenix and friends in Tucson. If you're ever in Colorado shoot me a PM.

I think it would look sweet with a bunch of these pendents to light it.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/20932...bZA7yio4DbYNCal

Except for the fact that it would take 7 of them $$$ and the top would be open for jumpers... :( That would look sweet, almost fast food style. ;)

Update time:

Slab is poured. Now just waiting for it to cure...

Here's the prep.

DSCN4400.jpg

DSCN4399.jpg

And the pour:

DSCN4401.jpg

DSCN4402.jpg

Definately tell it's thicker in the middle. ;)

Left:

DSCN4408.jpg

Middle:

DSCN4410.jpg

Right:

DSCN4412.jpg

Yes, the stand dips in the center about 3/16" which is more than styro can compensate for. This will basically give me a 12' cement shim under the styro. :D

I would never have thought of that! I would have ended up with a 12 foot busted tank! I am NEVER doing a DIY tank - there's just too much I would forget :(

Nice. I was wondering when you were going to mention the gap issue on this thread. Are you going to use anything to blend the concrete ends into the rest of the stand?

I think your tank is the most anticipated tank on my list of "regular lookups" :)

I really can't wait to see what you do with this beast! That and your DIY work is impeccable.

Self Leveling, man you are a genus. I have worked in the trades for most of my adult life and I never wouldn thought of that. next stand I build that is going on the list..................

AcroporaLokani

After the cement dries you may want to spray it with a spray bottle filled with water, your cement looks watered down which makes cement very fragile after it dries. By spraying it after it dries it lets it cure and then becomes stronger.

What type of cement did you use? They make a hight strength cement that can take a lot of pressure per square inch (in to the thousands of pounds) but its $25 for a 15 pound bag. It looks like you used S type cement is that correct?

Edited by AcroporaLokani

Well I guess it's a do over... I let the cement cure over night, and let's just say it's not meant to be cured over plastic. There was nothing for the cement to grab on to and it turned into the rocky mountains... Pretty interesting to see, but certainly not we I was expecting. Not sure what option I'll try next, perhaps just shave the stryo at the ends... Stay tuned for Plan B. :D

I think the memory foam would not be supportive enough. I have an idea that I think will work... I'll post some pics of the progress as it comes together.

Basement is almost finished (which means I can fill the tank when it's done) all that is left is the stairs so I hope to call for final inspection towards the end of the month! :D

Edited by calvin415
I think your tank is the most anticipated tank on my list of "regular lookups" :)

I really can't wait to see what you do with this beast! That and your DIY work is impeccable.

couldn't have said it better myself!!

Well I guess it's a do over... I let the cement cure over night, and let's just say it's not meant to be cured over plastic. There was nothing for the cement to grab on to and it turned into the rocky mountains... Pretty interesting to see, but certainly not we I was expecting. Not sure what option I'll try next, perhaps just shave the stryo at the ends... Stay tuned for Plan B. :D

Calvin.. got to love your builds..

I noticed on the photos you've feathered the screed out to zero thickness at the edges.. I've looked up a few water- and latex-based self-levelling flooring screeds online and they all state that they must be poured to a minimum of 10mm to guaruntee strength and a level surface. I looked it up because I've seen these screeds laid over plastic sheet before without problems. Maybe Plan B just means that you need to pour it thicker?

Al

i cant wait :D ........

i bet you can't either seeing its your tank :lol:

Thanks! Yeah, I'm really jones'n for some corals in my own house. :D

couldn't have said it better myself!!

Thank you very much!!! :D

Calvin.. got to love your builds..

I noticed on the photos you've feathered the screed out to zero thickness at the edges.. I've looked up a few water- and latex-based self-levelling flooring screeds online and they all state that they must be poured to a minimum of 10mm to guaruntee strength and a level surface. I looked it up because I've seen these screeds laid over plastic sheet before without problems. Maybe Plan B just means that you need to pour it thicker?

Al

Thanks Al, actually plan B is to cut out the drywall (OSB is under the dry wall) and then install some shims in the middle and lay 3/4" ply wood in the cut out and then styro covered with trim. :D I've been working feverishly on my basement trying to get it done (stairs and bannister are all that's left to build and install, other than calking the trim and painting the rec/tank room) as I can't think about putting water in the tank until the basement has passed inspection.

updates? :happy:

Not much... My cabinet doors that were supposed to be in last week was the wrong order, so my doors are supposed to now be here some time this week. Just one more thing I have to install in the basement. :D

Thanks for all ideas and feedback guys! I'll be sure to post some pics of the tank on the stand just as soon as I can get it leveled and supported!

I think the memory foam would not be supportive enough. I have an idea that I think will work... I'll post some pics of the progress as it comes together.

Basement is almost finished (which means I can fill the tank when it's done) all that is left is the stairs so I hope to call for final inspection towards the end of the month! :D

Have you considered using MAS Low Viscosity Epoxy? One of the reefers in my fish club used it to level his inwall tank. He made a dam out of aluminum duct tape as well.

PMing link to thread