• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Oh, yeah... Sorry about that.

Yes, the pins (twisted wires) are inserted between the two pieces to allow enough solvent to soften both pieces before removing the pins and bringing the two pieces together. When the pins are pulled any excess solvent will squeeze out and help to seal the weld, while the two softened pieces become one as the solvent continues to dry. For our climate (Dry Colorado Air) I use WeldOn 3 and allow the solvent to soak for approx 1:15 (min:sec) before pulling the pins.

the pins do make a huge difference. Allows you to get a great, even seal. The only thing you have to watch out for the amount of weld on that now goes in there. It is easy to over do it opposed to the standard wick you usually get with thinner acrylic sheets.

I had a problem with the pins allowing too much weldon in and then after dropping the sheet it presses little weldon balls out into the inside 90degree corner which is impossible to sand.

looks awesome calvin. cant wait to see it with lights and water! kudos on the butt welds as well.

Thanks Dopamine!

Do this 4 times over the course of the day and this is what you have:

DSCN4365.jpg

DSCN4364.jpg

DSCN4366.jpg

Top and Bottom (plus flush cutting, sanding and polishing) are all that is left!!! :D

wow it coming along nicely. cant wait to see this thing full of water.

was that u i seen asking about 1000w bulbs on the other site? :D if so is that what ur going to run on this one too?

gulfsurfer101

You weren't kidding about really long. Looks good so far, can't wait to see how it turns out. Keep us posted on any progress you make.

You weren't kidding about really long. Looks good so far, can't wait to see how it turns out. Keep us posted on any progress you make.

LOL! Nope not kidding. :D Thanks, I'll be posting any and all updated here. :)

Here's some pics of the flip w/ my 3yr old.

I couldn't get any further away to try to get it all to fit, but that's almost 8' from left side to the seam (part un-masked) and then another 4' to the right side.

DSCN4370.jpg

I threw the top on it just to get an idea of how it will look.

DSCN4372.jpg

Reverse side.

DSCN4373.jpg

From the stairs coming down...

DSCN4382.jpg

WOW this is amazing.

your tank is going to be so awesome.

i think best part for you is telling everyone "ya i built it all myself" wow im so impressed with your skills i wish i had them.

cant wait to see more

I wish I had your skills.

Just practice and have patience, but more than anything just the confidence and courage to try. ;)

Wow, this is a great thread. Thanks for taking the time to bring us all along.

Thanks, glad you've enjoyed it. :D

OMG that is mammoth! Very impressive. I really wish I had the skills to do that - I struggle with my 24g AIO :(

Tagging along :)

LOL! See comment above. ;)

WOW, this tank is really coming along nicely.

Thanks!

cant wait to see the next step

Lots and lots of steps still to follow...

WOW this is amazing.

your tank is going to be so awesome.

i think best part for you is telling everyone "ya i built it all myself" wow im so impressed with your skills i wish i had them.

cant wait to see more

LOL! Thanks, yes that's always the biggest eye opener... Same thing happens on the current 225 I did. I think most people believe that aquariums magically happen and don't realize that people can actually build them. :D

Great build, hope you continue in the same vien!

Thanks!

Well I just spent an hour reading the thread at RC of the tanks at your dads house and you have some of the best DIY skills I have ever seen. Are you in the trades, or just a really good learner?

Looks great man, love the view from the stairs!

Thanks! It's my fav as well. :D

Well I just spent an hour reading the thread at RC of the tanks at your dads house and you have some of the best DIY skills I have ever seen. Are you in the trades, or just a really good learner?

LOL! No, I'm an analyst. :D Just love anything hands on.

LOL! Thanks, yes that's always the biggest eye opener... Same thing happens on the current 225 I did. I think most people believe that aquariums magically happen and don't realize that people can actually build them.

:lol:

i have never built an aquarium but i love DIY

although with my cash flow i can barely afford my 20 gallon diy lol

Thanks everyone! :D

AcroporaLokani, The 4 12' pieces cost me 500.00 (took 2 sheets of 1/2" to build) and the ends and overflow box were about another 75.00

I just got the acrylic for my sumps, and that's costing me another 170.00 but still have to order the acrylic tubing for the skimmer...