• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Well since one piece is 8' and the other is 4' I don't think the seam can be in the middle huh? ;) LOL! Since I will also have a seam on the bottom and on the top, I will have to stagger the seams to keep them from aligning... That means the two viewing panels will match and the top and bottom will match to ensure the seams don't line up on a weld.

Well since one piece is 8' and the other is 4' I don't think the seam can be in the middle huh? ;) LOL!

oops. i guess i missed that part :slap:

oops. i guess i missed that part :slap:

LOL! Don't worry about it. ;) If I can find the guts, I might try to weld up the first butt joint tonight. If not, I'll just spend the time fixing the crack in the front of the stand. :D

First butt joint is curing... I'll unclamp it tomorrow night, and start sanding. 3 more welds to go (have to do 1 at a time), and then we'll see how they look. :D

Yeah, drywall... :unsure:

Thanks, hopefully it will hold up with the kids... Then we can get something better when they are older.

Just ordered all the bulkheads, valves and true union valves for the CL pump... :( Ouch!

While we're on the topic of planning, I do want a single center piece fish for this tank, anyone care to make some suggestions? I think I've narrowed it down to either an Angel or a Tang, but still want something very unique, or at least an attention getter. Angel choices are Emperor, Regal, Magestic, Tangs choices are Powder Blue, or Lieutenant aka Tennenti but not sure how well they will fit... I have plenty of swimming room, but turn around room might be a little tight. :( Another concern is reef safe with the Angels, I know it's risk no matter what, but it's a fish I've always wanted and never gotten one. The Emperor is what got me into the hobby 17 years ago and I still have never had one. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Really, it's up to you. Don't listen to what other people say (as far as the 'tang police' and other such comments), just get what you want and I know you have enough experience that you will know if the fish is thriving or not. I say go with the Emperor Angel

^^^ His tank is gonna be around 140 gallons, so he's pretty clear on what he can safely put in the tank. Plus with it being sooooooooooooooo long the 'tang police' can keep their mouths shut.

Yeah, drywall... :unsure:

Thanks, hopefully it will hold up with the kids... Then we can get something better when they are older.

it will hold up like nails. i have the same thing in my basement and it holds up good with my kid and the dogs.

i vote purple tang.

The laminate will hold up great, my mom has it in her house (4 kids plus their friends, and 2 dogs). My best friend manages a flooring store and I've done some part time work there, laminate is exactly what you want for your situation.

About the fish, get the emperor angel. You'll regret it if you don't.

LOL! You guys are too funny. :D Thanks for the feed back on the laminate that's just want a wanted to hear.

I love purple tangs reefone, but feel they are pretty common. Either way, I'm considering it, my Dad loves them! :D

Here's some updated pics and description of what I've done, if you're following my thread on that other site you'll see the same stuff so don't kill yourself re-reading it. ;)

First was the prep work not pictured where I routered the end of each piece to clean it up and ensure it was perfectly square with the adjacent edge.

Next was the setup, this step involved taping off the pieces to keep the WeldOn 42 from getting on the surface of the acrylic (not crucial but less sanding in the end) and then clamping everything in place.

Once everything was ready, I unclamped one side (shorter side for ease) seperating them approx 1/8-1/4" and ran a piece of tape along the joint on the bottom to keep the 42 in the joint. Once the 42 was applied, I squeeze the pieces back together (not too tight, you don't want a dry joint) and reapplied the clamps to ensure the pieces were in perfect alignment. Then remove the tape on the bottom holding the solvent in, and then the tape protecting the surface. This will allow you to see into the joint to ensure it's bubble free.

To get maximum strength with 42, it's recommended to cure the joint at 158*F for 4 hours within 24 hours of gluing. I don't have an easy bake oven yet, and I believe the strength of a standard temp cure to be enough but I hope allowing it to cure for 48 hours in a spring time garage (very warm) will help. In my practice welds with 1/2" material, the standard temp cure was strong enough to keep me from being able to break it by hand. Using 1/2" materials for all 6 sides, plus full euro and cross bracing I feel this tank is already being over built and additional curing should not be needed.

Okay, enough words huh? Here's the pics...

Here's my setup.

DSCN3935.jpg

A little closer.

DSCN3936.jpg

From the side.

DSCN3938.jpg

You can see the solvent drips, this is actually already cured for almost 48 hours, you can see how clear the solvent sets up.

DSCN3940.jpg

And the joint before sanding or polishing. All imperfections are on the surface and should sand clear with a little work.

DSCN3937.jpg

TheChosenReefer

YAY!!!! The tank is being built been following your progress I love the idea. My only worry is the joints will give in the future but it seems you are a risk taker. Also that is some thick plexi glass

theres that Gem Tang I saw a few days ago on Divers Den.....

Thats definately a centerpiece lol!............A $3500 one!

YAY!!!! The tank is being built been following your progress I love the idea. My only worry is the joints will give in the future but it seems you are a risk taker. Also that is some thick plexi glass

??? Why would it give away? I was already able to pick up the sheet to turn it over, even at 1/2" thick when it's 12' long it bends like it's 1/8" and the joint held up just fine. I bet if I tried to break it, it would actually break in the acrylic, not on the joint. WeldOn 42 is a 2 part epoxy that is even stronger than solvents (WeldOn 3 or 4).

As for the Gem tang... :huh: sorry. :lol:

Edited by calvin415

Here's some pics of the initial sanding, I'll continue to sand down the joint until it's clear as original and attempt to take pics of each step.

DSCN3943.jpg

As for the strength of the joint, maybe this will provide you with a little piece of mind. Remember 1/2" material is used for tanks up to 24" tall without any bowing (will bow a lot before it breaks) and this will only have approx 14-15 inches of water in it.

DSCN3944.jpg

DSCN3945.jpg

This is more bowing than this tank will see in a lifetime.

jokercykoe

Awesome build thread. Loved your other long tank, and I'm sure this one will blow that one out of the water.

Following along eagerly. Good luck :D

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Unfortunately, I'm out of 400 grit W/D so I wasn't able to do too much polishing tonight. :( Here's where I'm at:

Just so you can compare, here's 120 grit dry...

DSCN3943.jpg

Here's 200 grit dry...

DSCN3946.jpg

220 wet...

DSCN3947.jpg

and flipped taking the other side from 200 dry sanded to 220 wet...

DSCN3948.jpg

Next will be 400 wet and so on... Just need to get more 400. :(

Well you asked for a center piece...

Heres a more realistic center piece and a super cool fish as well, one that I've not seen much on Divers Den.

0521081-271.jpg

Amazing. I am a fan of DIY. I see what looks like 1/8th - or a bit larger overhang on one of the pieces. What are you going to do about it. (Just curious)