ReefCleaners.org

Calvin415's LED lit 12 footer

calvin415

noobofreefs

This is a LFS to me and they carry some rare stuff:

http://www.blueribbonkoi.com/webcart/products.php?cat=11

They have quite a few rare angels in stock and the pair of flame wrasses are amazing. I saw them in person and their colors are incredibly bright & John (the owner) said they only get brighter. He said he got most of this stuff on a trip to Hawaii.

Looks like everything's getting into the process! It looks great so far!

NOR

Edited by noobofreefs
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• calvin415

• jerzsky

• Boomboy

• lakshwadeep

Well you asked for a center piece...

Heres a more realistic center piece and a super cool fish as well, one that I've not seen much on Divers Den.

0521081-271.jpg

Amazing fish, but I thought these were a cold water fish?

Amazing. I am a fan of DIY. I see what looks like 1/8th - or a bit larger overhang on one of the pieces. What are you going to do about it. (Just curious)

Yes, the acrylic shop didn't cut everything perfect as I asked so I'll be trimming the entire sheet once it's polished up. The next one will be the same way (same batch) but the last two I've custom ordered out of Houston to ensure they are cut accurately. Either way, each piece will still end up being trimmed before welding.

This is a LFS to me and they carry some rare stuff:

http://www.blueribbonkoi.com/webcart/products.php?cat=11

They have quite a few rare angels in stock and the pair of flame wrasses are amazing. I saw them in person and their colors are incredibly bright & John (the owner) said they only get brighter. He said he got most of this stuff on a trip to Hawaii.

Looks like everything's getting into the process! It looks great so far!

NOR

Very nice stuff! Most is more than I want to spend, but a great site! Thanks for the link and feedback. :D

As for an update, I was able to finish sanding one side last night, 320 grit, 400 grit, 600 grit, 1200 grit, 1500 grit, 1800 grit, 2400 grit, 3000 grit, 4000 grit, and finally buffed clear. I'll be starting the opposite side when I have time, and then weld up the next piece and start the process over again. I'll post pics when I have the first piece finished.

The next one will be the same way (same batch) but the last two I've custom ordered out of Houston to ensure they are cut accurately..

What company in Houston did you order from?

LOL! Thanks Josh. ;)

A&C Plastics, they have an office here in Colorado and truck shipments up from Houston weekly. It should have left Houston yesterday and be here by tomorrow. Hope to have the next set ready to weld up by Tuesday.

Lots more pics and vids on that other site, but here's an update:

400 Wet

DSCN3955.jpg

600 Wet

DSCN3959.jpg

1500 Wet

DSCN3963.jpg

1800 Wet

DSCN3969.jpg

2400 Wet

DSCN3971.jpg

3200 Wet

DSCN3973.jpg

3600 Wet and 4000 Wet not shown, 6000, 8000 and 120000 are available...

Buffed Clean...

DSCN3978.jpg

Here's panel two being glued up...

First tape it off...

And if you're not sure how to tape, here ya go...

th_DSCN3980.jpg

And cutting off the excess...

th_DSCN3982.jpg

Clamping down just one side.

DSCN3984.jpg

Note the gap for the WeldOn 42.

DSCN3983.jpg

42 Gun.

DSCN3986.jpg

And Tape on the bottom to prevent the solvent from running out.

DSCN3987.jpg

Applying the 42

th_DSCN3988.jpg

Squeezing the pieces together

th_DSCN3989.jpg

And un-tape one side to see how the weld turned out (bubbles or not) Unfortunately this one has some small bubbles toward the end, so hopefully I can keep it in the sand to help hide them. :( Or it will become the bottom since I now have 2 more attempts.

th_DSCN3990.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I've been just swamped with work. I hope to get some more progress done this weekend, I now have all the acrylic I just need the time to work on building it.

• 2 weeks later...

What about a chevron tang? I have one and love. Nice fish, very pretty, doesn't get too large. They are also affordable and not extremely common.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, I've been SOOOOOOOO busy with other projects, but I just finished welding the last two pieces to complete all 4 16' pieces. :D I hope to get them all cut, sanded, and polish tomorrow so I can begin assembly of the tank some time next week. I'll get some more pics when I start the assembly process.

I really thought about a Chevron Tang but they are only colorful as juvi's... Adults are a drab olive color. :( I guess I could just take him out as an adult and get another small one? Not really responsible, but better than putting a Unicorn in right? Thanks for the thought. :D

All the acrylic panels are cut, so it looks like the tank is going to end up at approx 142x15.5x16.5 (outside dimension w/ 1/2" acrylic) putting it at almost 140 gallons. I still need to sand, polish, and buff the seams but they are cut to size and ready for assembly as soon as they are polished. I'll get post more pics (6 of us) cutting the 12' panels as soon as I get them uploaded.

This thing is going to be amazing. If you don't mind, could you share what a project like this would cost?

Actually I try not to think about the cost... :( The stand was minimal, say 100 for materials, although I still have to buy the wood and hinges to build the doors. The tank took 2 sheets of 1/2" for 500, then the ends and overflow (black acrylic) ran about another 75. 1 tube of weldon 42 was 45 plus 4 tips at 1.50 ea. I already had the weldon gun (245). Lights will be another 1000, skimmer will probably be about 500, I will build my own sumps (another 300-500) Return pump another 150, Dart for the closed loop 235, CO2 tank 100, regulator 200, Ca reactor (will build my own for about 150), plumbing is another 200, canopy I haven't priced yet, but hope to keep it under 200. Sand, Rock, and livestock will vary. Once setup, I'll look to add some additional equipment such as UV, Carbon and Phosban reactors, lots of fans, and I'm sure there is stuff I'm forgetting.

So materials only, not including tools, livestock, or down the road equipment I'm estimating just over 4 grand.

Edited by calvin415

LOL! It's alright, she get's to stay home with our boys so she can't really complain about the tank. Everything will come together in time, and with enough DIY work, and maybe some used equipment deals, maybe I can shave a little off those prices. Unfortunately, I don't think I can shave much off the lights... :(

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, here's a quick summary of the progress (not much)...

Overflow box is done...

DSCN4285.jpg

DSCN4288.jpg

DSCN4289.jpg

The second display panel is done with rough sanding, I hope to finish it tomorrow, then I can knock out the top and bottom and start putting it together!!! :D

DSCN4295.jpg

DSCN4303.jpg

DSCN4302.jpg