Coral Vue Hydros

NRF's 46 Bow

Needreefunds

lol the lazer show...I remember going to see Darkside of the Moon (side B ) at the Miami Planetarium and RUSH/Led Zep B)

ahhhh I used to get toasted :lol:

peach schnapps anyone? *bleck*

Comfortably Numb next vid :happy:

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lol the lazer show...I remember going to see Darkside of the Moon (side B ) at the Miami Planetarium and RUSH/Led Zep B)

Shrooms / Acid anyone? *bleck*

FTFY.

;)

:lol:

peach schnapps anyone? *bleck*

Still with ya buddy, keep talkin' B)

FTFY.

;)

Ya went back a lil' too far bro.....

Militant Jurist

Uh oh, no new posts in here all day? We can't have that!

2108340526_ec527dcf3e.jpg

Oops, wrong dark side of the moon... :o

I saw the coolest looking deep-water acro frag today. It was a yellowish-green color, and the branches made it look like a pine tree! It was $20, but I'm thinking of making a trip back to pick it up! I really should put the money into the 29g build, but with the amount of growth it would have by the time I've got the 29g up and running, it would be amazing!

Uh oh, no new posts in here all day? We can't have that!

2108340526_ec527dcf3e.jpg

Oops, wrong dark side of the moon... :o

I saw the coolest looking deep-water acro frag today. It was a yellowish-green color, and the branches made it look like a pine tree! It was $20, but I'm thinking of making a trip back to pick it up! I really should put the money into the 29g build, but with the amount of growth it would have by the time I've got the 29g up and running, it would be amazing!

Hmmm. tough call. Could always get it, grow the heck outta it and sell a couple frags and get the $20 back and then some in a couple months :P

Militant Jurist
Hmmm. tough call. Could always get it, grow the heck outta it and sell a couple frags and get the $20 back and then some in a couple months :P

Very true! However, I've said that about a couple of corals, and I just can't bring myself to frag some of them! They are so darn good looking as they grow bigger! I might finally start fragging some of my LPS though. I've been told that chalice is pretty easy to frag with a dremel and diamond blade cutting wheel, so I might give it a shot. My trumpet will be easy, if it ever starts pulling the flesh up and start making new stalks, rather than 5 head splits!

Got any sage advice for fragging LPS?

Very true! However, I've said that about a couple of corals, and I just can't bring myself to frag some of them! They are so darn good looking as they grow bigger! I might finally start fragging some of my LPS though. I've been told that chalice is pretty easy to frag with a dremel and diamond blade cutting wheel, so I might give it a shot. My trumpet will be easy, if it ever starts pulling the flesh up and start making new stalks, rather than 5 head splits!

Got any sage advice for fragging LPS?

Yes I totally understand the feeling. But its fun to share! Ya can make a few $$ and make fellow reefer buddies happy in the process. ;):P

I like to cut them from the bottom up trying to judge the point that the flesh is growing, then "snap" it the rest of the way through and then slice the flesh with a clean razor. This seems to keep loss of flesh to a minimum. The dremel wheel cutting through from the top burns too much IMO, but many seem to do it that way.

Militant Jurist
Yes I totally understand the feeling. But its fun to share! Ya can make a few $$ and make fellow reefer buddies happy in the process. ;):P

I like to cut them from the bottom up trying to judge the point that the flesh is growing, then "snap" it the rest of the way through and then slice the flesh with a clean razor. This seems to keep loss of flesh to a minimum. The dremel wheel cutting through from the top burns too much IMO, but many seem to do it that way.

Sounds easy! I'm thinking about fragging my chalice at some point in the near future. I'm probably just going to cut around the edges, and leave the center intact. That way, I get to keep the nice looking part, and still have some frags to sell, and some to put in the 29g eventually!

Do you dremel branching SPS, or do you use a bone cutter and snip? My green slimer is taking off, and probably will need fragging within a few months. Otherwise, it will soon hit the top of the water and start going horizontal. :naughtydance:

Sounds easy! I'm thinking about fragging my chalice at some point in the near future. I'm probably just going to cut around the edges, and leave the center intact. That way, I get to keep the nice looking part, and still have some frags to sell, and some to put in the 29g eventually!

Do you dremel branching SPS, or do you use a bone cutter and snip? My green slimer is taking off, and probably will need fragging within a few months. Otherwise, it will soon hit the top of the water and start going horizontal. :naughtydance:

:lol: Yeah, just snip the SPS. Actually they usually get fragged accidentally while doing tank maintenance or while gluing in other frags :angry::P

Militant Jurist
:lol: Yeah, just snip the SPS. Actually they usually get fragged accidentally while doing tank maintenance or while gluing in other frags :angry::P

Must be nice to have that problem! ;) My SPS aren't quite yet big enough to be getting in the way just yet.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I really think this is going to happen. Might take some time but that's fine.

This tank, the NC 12 and 5.5 will be rolled into a 72 gal bow front. I need to simplify my husbandry requirements and I think that should help. I have been wondering if I may be fighting old tank syndrome in the 46, various algal blooms in the 12 and while I really love the little 5.5, I would need the space its stand occupies for the upgrade.

So, needs---- Well.....everything. lol. But really, the only thing I can realistically use from the existing setup is maybe the skimmer ( Tunze 6010 ) and icecap 660. Possibly could "gut" the Sunpod and retrofit it into a hood, but I am leaning towards going all T5 on this one. I would like a canopy on this too as I like the clean look. My sump is only a 10g- would hope to sneak a 20 in there. Would love to somehow stuff a small qt under there as well, but doubt that is possible.

Since there is plenty of time to hash this out it would be cool to hear any thoughts as we move forward.

Investigating 72 reef ready options right now.

This thread will take on the feel of a build thread ( much shenanigans as well I'm sure :happy: )

I hope you will keep following along. :)

Militant Jurist
OK, I really think this is going to happen. Might take some time but that's fine.

VICTORY!!!

party.gif

So, needs---- Well.....everything. lol. But really, the only thing I can realistically use from the existing setup is maybe the skimmer ( Tunze 6010 ) and icecap 660. Possibly could "gut" the Sunpod and retrofit it into a hood, but I am leaning towards going all T5 on this one. I would like a canopy on this too as I like the clean look. My sump is only a 10g- would hope to sneak a 20 in there. Would love to somehow stuff a small qt under there as well, but doubt that is possible.

Are you going to be building the stand? If so perhaps you could do a build tall enough that you could have room for a mini-shelf over part of the 20g sump, and put the 10g QT over it.

This thread will take on the feel of a build thread ( much shenanigans as well I'm sure :happy: )

I hope you will keep following along. :)

Of course!

VICTORY!!!

party.gif

Are you going to be building the stand? If so perhaps you could do a build tall enough that you could have room for a mini-shelf over part of the 20g sump, and put the 10g QT over it.
Thinking about it, that's for sure. Would be cool to build to suit, but without a garage or basement its a tad difficult....but not impossible. Its the bow shape that troubles me. While a fairly handy person, not sure could pull this off

Of course!

Thanks, more fun that way. :P

Militant Jurist

Thinking about it, that's for sure. Would be cool to build to suit, but without a garage or basement its a tad difficult....but not impossible. Its the bow shape that troubles me. While a fairly handy person, not sure could pull this off

Hmm... that's a good point. Bending the wood to fit is possible, but without the tools or space it becomes quite the task indeed!

WHOO-HOOOO!!!!!!!!!

A 72 Bow is 48" long, right?

Just asking cause I'm always running across good deals on light fixtures, wanted to know what size to watch out for.

YAY!!!!!

I have to live vicariously through someone, yanno. :D

:happy:

WHOO-HOOOO!!!!!!!!!

A 72 Bow is 48" long, right?

Just asking cause I'm always running across good deals on light fixtures, wanted to know what size to watch out for.

Yes ma'am. -_-

Thanks L. :)

Militant Jurist
YAY!!!!!

I have to live vicariously through someone, yanno. :D

I think there's going to be a lot of folks living vicariously though you, NRF! Just hope that you don't end up vicariously liable.

/ bad legal joke

:P

I wish I could go for a larger tank like a 72b or even a regular 75g. Unfortunately, the space in my house just wouldn't allow it, on top of not having the money for it! What's sad about the space issue is that I live alone in a 1400+ sqft house, and still I don't have enough room. Anyways, until I build a bigger home in the country a few years or more from now, I'll be enjoying yours for my large tank fix!

I think there's going to be a lot of folks living vicariously though you, NRF! Just hope that you don't end up vicariously liable.

/ bad legal joke

TGFT
I wish I could go for a larger tank like a 72b or even a regular 75g. Unfortunately, the space in my house just wouldn't allow it, on top of not having the money for it! What's sad about the space issue is that I live alone in a 1400+ sqft house, and still I don't have enough room. Anyways, until I build a bigger home in the country a few years or more from now, I'll be enjoying yours for my large tank fix!

Still wondering about a 75 or even 92 corner, but would be looking at a side of the corner for the most part. It would be next to the couch and facing away from the center of the room. NG methinks. 75 is nice, certainly, but 72 bow is reef sechsay IMO.

Militant Jurist
TGFT

Still wondering about a 75 or even 92 corner, but would be looking at a side of the corner for the most part. It would be next to the couch and facing away from the center of the room. NG methinks. 75 is nice, certainly, but 72 bow is reef sechsay IMO.

I've never had a bow, but from the pictures I've seen, they are indeed sechsay! I tend to stick with my regular boxes though, because I can more readily make the stand for it.

Are the dimensions for the 72b roughly the same as the 75g, in terms of height and depth?

What's sad about the space issue is that I live alone in a 1400+ sqft house, and still I don't have enough room.

What means this? 1400 sq feet, one person, and not enough room? Come to NY, I'll show you how we live in Manhattan...

you'll be bringing barnyard animals into your house when you go home. :lol:

TGFT

I really think it depends on the dimension of the space you're putting the tank into. As for bow/standard, if you're looking into the side I wonder if the bow might = a distorted view.

*^ this was my initial, reasonable response. However, my dog just peed on the floor, so now I'm thinking get the biggest tank possible and skip all other pests--errr--pets.

Militant Jurist
What means this? 1400 sq feet, one person, and not enough room? Come to NY, I'll show you how we live in Manhattan...

Well, I have quite a few things for one individual. I've got a dining room full of bookshelves, a living room with a lot of seating, a piano, and a 29g tank, a dedicated office with my 20L for my hopefully-soon-to-be-started legal practice, a small spare bedroom, and the rest is space taken up by the kitchen and bathrooms. The space goes quickly!

:lol: I would definitely be having barnyard animals! Once I'm able to build a house, I want to do so on about 25 to 50 acres! There's a few horses in that plan. ;)

*^ this was my initial, reasonable response. However, my dog just peed on the floor, so now I'm thinking get the biggest tank possible and skip all other pests--errr--pets.

:haha:

That sucks though.

I've never had a bow, but from the pictures I've seen, they are indeed sechsay! I tend to stick with my regular boxes though, because I can more readily make the stand for it.

Much easier I'm sure.

Are the dimensions for the 72b roughly the same as the 75g, in terms of height and depth?

IIRC yes they are.

Thing is, believe it or not, the taper on the end will help quite a bit with entry through a very nearby doorway.

I really think it depends on the dimension of the space you're putting the tank into. As for bow/standard, if you're looking into the side I wonder if the bow might = a distorted view.

LOL @ barnyard animals :lol:

I do tend to be viewing from the side, but actually enjoy the slight distortion. I have not looked at a 72 for some time, but I think its a more graceful bend. Decisions....decisions. :P

Militant Jurist
Thing is, believe it or not, the taper on the end will help quite a bit with entry through a very nearby doorway.

I love it how things work out like that! :D

Archived