Top Shelf Aquatics

NRF's 46 Bow

Needreefunds

Militant Jurist
This works for me...but who tells my hubby? :blink::happy:

Just let the tank do the talking! One day, he'll come home, and there will be a new tank sitting there that says "Trick or Treat! This is my treat... you don't want to know what the trick would have been!"

That, or you can just deny that it's new! "What are you talking about? That empty tank has always been there!"

:lol:

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just let the tank do the talking! One day, he'll come home, and there will be a new tank sitting there that says "Trick or Treat! This is my treat... you don't want to know what the trick would have been!"

That, or you can just deny that it's new! "What are you talking about? That empty tank has always been there!"

:haha: I like the way you think MJ. I can see it now. " I don't know honey. I thought it was odd, but the guy on the 17th floor was giving out picos instead of Snickers." :ninja:

Militant Jurist
:haha: I like the way you think MJ.

Glad to help! B)

I can see it now. " I don't know honey. I thought it was odd, but the guy on the 17th floor was giving out picos instead of Snickers." :ninja:

Sounds like a good story to me! You could make it perfectly plausible too..... the guy at work, with the economy having gone south for for long, just decided he couldn't afford it anymore, and his loss is your gain!

whistling.gif

75, 90, 110 --all have the same footprint? :huh: Never realized this.

110 must be a bugger to light....huh Brett?? :happy:

Hey Richie. Yes, mine is challenging to light! But it is not the 110 you are thinking of. Mine is 60x18x24. The 60 makes it hard to light because all of the high end reflectors are desgined to cover 2x2. I will be switching to LumenBright minis or mini wides on mine, but either will result in a ton of light wasted out the front and not quite enough coverage left to right.

In hind sight, I would have gone for a 24 inch wide tank. I always want more room front to back in mine. Either 48x24x24 (120?) or 72x24x24 (180). The 210 that is in progres is 72x24x30.

Get LumenBright reflectors if you go 30 inches deep. They will probably be able to light the bottom fine for LPS with 250W bulbs. You can grow SPS in the top :) Best MH reflectors on the market!

Here is the RC LumenBright thread. Awesome reflectors! There are some par readings near the end as well as scattered throughout.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1531096

Good luck Richie!!! I can't wait ot see whatever you do.

Any progress on your evil little plan?

minime.jpg

Wheels are still turning.

Still gathering info - n - stuff. :happy:

Hey Richie. Yes, mine is challenging to light! But it is not the 110 you are thinking of. Mine is 60x18x24. The 60 makes it hard to light because all of the high end reflectors are desgined to cover 2x2. I will be switching to LumenBright minis or mini wides on mine, but either will result in a ton of light wasted out the front and not quite enough coverage left to right.

In hind sight, I would have gone for a 24 inch wide tank. I always want more room front to back in mine. Either 48x24x24 (120?) or 72x24x24 (180). The 210 that is in progres is 72x24x30.

Get LumenBright reflectors if you go 30 inches deep. They will probably be able to light the bottom fine for LPS with 250W bulbs. You can grow SPS in the top :) Best MH reflectors on the market!

Here is the RC LumenBright thread. Awesome reflectors! There are some par readings near the end as well as scattered throughout.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1531096

Good luck Richie!!! I can't wait ot see whatever you do.

Thanks for the kind words and info Brett. I appreciate the input.

One more thing. If you go with LumenBright reflectors, they need a lot of clearance between the bulb and the water to be at their best. Something like 18 inches between the bulb and the water.

Still gathering.

Really leaning towards the NEP for this one. Although I do have an Icecap 660 to play with :unsure:

Love my MH shimmer, but also love the ability to play with bulbs combos and T5 efficiency.

Believe it or not I am also thinking about running a reg 75 with my Lifereef overflow. :huh:

While I have never had a reef ready tank- like all the cool kids lol - I wonder about seal failure and such. Plus I would actually wind up with more room available with the Lifereef.

Also should anything get into the box I can simply remove it to retrieve fish, snails and such if need be. Not so with the full length Megaflow set up.

This is taking forever..... Can't decide on anything lol.

Hey, I ordered sand today. That's sumptin....right?? :huh:

:happy:

What kind of sand did you order? :D

I love my T5s, never had metal halides, but love the colors I can get. Though I do think I prefer reef ready for my next (imaginary) tank.

Again, I believe it's better to take your time so you get what you really want. This hobby is too pricey--and the tanks are in too central locations in our homes-- for big impulse decisions. ;)

What kind of sand did you order? :D

The Bahama aragonite from Marco rocks. I will seed it with a few cups of sand from the 46 and the Nano-cube.

I hope if I break it down on a Fri evening and set up the new one the cloud will clear before the weekend is out. lol. Not looking forward to tubs and buckets all over :D

I love my T5s, never had metal halides, but love the colors I can get. Though I do think I prefer reef ready for my next (imaginary) tank.
Not yet set in stone mind you but I am leaning heavily toward the T5.

Reef ready is rather sexy innit? :happy:

Again, I believe it's better to take your time so you get what you really want. This hobby is too pricey--and the tanks are in too central locations in our homes-- for big impulse decisions. ;)

Impulse? What's this, like, week 4 of this already? :P Not counting the two years off and on before that :lol:

Seriously though...

You are absolutely correct Anne. -_-

It's great to have so many of you guys following along and helping me muddle through it all.

Deleted User 6

I HAD A LOT OF BOURBON TONIGHT! HOT TODDIES!

so, in other news, when is this new tank going to be born? what's all this "take your time" nonsense? just buy the biggest thing that fits in your living room that still lets you walk through it and call it a day.

what's all this "take your time" nonsense? just buy the biggest thing that fits in your living room that still lets you walk through it and call it a day.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Mmm, this does seem like a perfect night for hot toddies... :P

I HAD A LOT OF BOURBON TONIGHT! HOT TODDIES!

so, in other news, when is this new tank going to be born? what's all this "take your time" nonsense? just buy the biggest thing that fits in your living room that still lets you walk through it and call it a day.

:P

Hot toddies?? :huh: Wassup D,ya been sick? :mellow:

Deleted User 6

nope...i just like my bourbon in a hot apple cider. you got a problem with that? because if so, i'll stop drinking them. that's how much i value you're opinion :)

nope...i just like my bourbon in a hot apple cider. you got a problem with that? because if so, i'll stop drinking them. that's how much i value you're opinion :)

Not at all bud, not at all. Just a bit jealous is all. :happy:

Those are great for a sore throat.

enough about me. how are you, richie? did i hear right that 500 gallons is the minimum size you're considering?

You are buzzed aintcha? :P

I'm fine thanx :happy:

500??? :o

Wish I had the room. But, 75 will be cool.

Might even build the stand mahself....dunno on that either. -_-

Militant Jurist

You should definitely DIY the stand. You can do it for much less moolah than to buy one. If you use 2x4s and the right design, it will be stronger than anything you could buy. Then, there's the plywood for the external finish. I don't think I'll ever buy a tank stand ever again!

Archived