inTank Media Baskets

NRF's 46 Bow

Needreefunds

Needreefunds

So since some very cool NR members have asked that I do so, I humbly add a thread for my 46g bow front reef.

I will patch this together from a thread on a local forum to start with and then keep up to date as we go.

OK? good! :lol:

Hello folks! Been lurking here a bit since taking the "leap" into reefing. Started with a 12g Nano-cube. I had this 46 as a fish only setup, my first marine tank. Like many others I made quite a few mistakes yet somehow this tank survived. After the 'cube seemed to go so well I decided to convert this tank to a mixed reef. Originally it had about 3-4 inches of crushed coral substrate, coral skeletons, concrete and plastic wannabees for decor.A fluval canister, UV sterilizer and also a skilter filter/skimmer. Yes, I know.... ::). So I first swapped out the CC for reef sand. About a quarter at a time with several weeks in between. This seemed to work well for me and the poor clowns who lived through several sand storms. During this time I had some dry Marco rocks cycling in a tub in the garage (shed). After the CC was finally swapped out I added the marco rocks along with a few pieces of live rock. I swapped the 96w PC fixture for a dual 150mh Sunpod. Added two mj900 ( one with a hydorflo) and a koralia. I have a soapdish for some chaeto right now. I really would like to "clean up" this setup with a overflow and the largest sump I can stick under the stand. OK, enough blabbering onto some pics. Nothing special right now perhaps, but it has come a long way in the last few months. Coloring up nicely and the clowns seem real happy in their new digs.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

000_0150.jpg

Hey, I just found this one from the FO days...

100_4541.jpg

OK, some I just took. :)

029-1.jpg

027-1.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

015.jpg

So that's pretty much how it sits right now. Yes the back wall needs work. I would have painted the back at set up If I had known better back then. Hum, probably would have drilled it too! LOL.

Thanks all!

all of that ^^^^^^^ was posted on NJRC in August 07. I will try to post up most of the pics and the additions and bring us up to date.

I think that may be enough for the first post. More to come shortly. ;)

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Needreefunds

tankshots11-02-2007060.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007022.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007021.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007017.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007016.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007015.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007013.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007010.jpg

tankshots11-02-2007009.jpg

Picspeak. Who wants to hear me talk anyway! ;)

11-05-2007022.jpg

11-05-2007023.jpg

11-04-2007005.jpg

I caught my CBS out in front today and I had the camera handy.....

12-23-2007001.jpg

12-23-2007003.jpg

Some of the "crew"

12-23-2007004.jpg

12-23-2007051.jpg

12-23-2007050.jpg

Still with me guys??? :huh:

:unsure: guys??

:lol:

nice!

Hey sorry Shawn, didn't see you sandwiched in between my posts.

Thanks man!

AWESOME!!!! YEAH!!!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!!

:happydance:omgomgomg:flower::Domgomgomg:happydance:

I think this is the first time I've seen 3 clowns in a nano-tank, do they all get along well with each other?

That goni looks really nice, how long have you had it?

The clam looks super brilliant too, can post any close-ups of it?

Also, I KNOW you have more cool stuff in this tank, more close-up shots purty please??? :flower: :flower:

Needreefunds

I had been wanting to add a sump to this tank. After some hunting I liked the Tom Aquatics Rapids overflow. Had been watching eBay for several weeks, lost out on a few. I found a Rapids Pro PS3 system, which is basically a canister wet / dry filter with built in skimmer. This system also includes my much sought after overflow. So I throw the $99 opening bid on it and wind up winning. I had planned to sell off the filter and come out ahead, but after receiving it I figured I'd try to use it somehow. The thinking was if the skimmer is even decent I will have saved quite a few bucks and space under the stand. Bucks and space, two things most reefers could use more of. ;) So this is what I came up with. I added a 10 gal fuge to this canister like so........

Fuge002.jpg

Fuge003.jpg

Fuge004.jpg

Fuge006.jpg

Drilled the tank ( yikes first time for that. only a $10 10 gal tho LOL! ). And the filter for bulkhead fittings. Added a "t" fitting and ball valves to the return and also a ball valve and tubing between the tank and filter to create a slow flow through the fuge. So far so good. Skimmer is pulling some funk already and the whole set up is surprisingly quiet. Time will tell. At the very least I increased the system gallonage a bit as well as filtration capabilities. How can that be a bad thing? ;D More pics...

Fuge008.jpg

Fuge009.jpg

Fuge012.jpg

Fuge014.jpg

For a hobby where we hate leaks, I sure punched holes in a lot of shtuff!

Fuge015.jpg

Fuge016.jpg

shtuff001.jpg

Spent the day trying to reorganize the spaghetti that my " Reef control center" had become. ( Please no laughing)

I had a wavemaker to install but knowing I needed to fix this mess made me put it off for weeks...

gettinridofspaghetti001.jpg

Found out I didn't have a nice piece of wood to use for a panel. Then I remembered saving a large cracked plexi cabinet door from the dumpster at work. ( Hey, I said NO laughing! ::) ) So with some help from my better half We wound up with this....

gettinridofspaghetti002.jpg

gettinridofspaghetti003.jpg

gettinridofspaghetti004.jpg

Now, is it perfect? No. Better and functional? Absolutely.

I also just had to post this shot. Gotta love bow fronts huh?

gettinridofspaghetti018.jpg

Hey everyone, look who finally made friends!

005-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

007-3.jpg

I watched her bring it a nice chunk of 'peeze while feeding today. It was really something to see in my living room. Awesome.

Needreefunds
AWESOME!!!! YEAH!!!!! WHOO-HOO!!!!!

I think this is the first time I've seen 3 clowns in a nano-tank, do they all get along well with each other?

That goni looks really nice, how long have you had it?

The clam looks super brilliant too, can post any close-ups of it?

Also, I KNOW you have more cool stuff in this tank, more close-up shots purty please??? :flower: :flower:

Thanks buddy. There are actually FOUR clowns in there. The two maroons aren't speaking however. I think she has even filed papers......

I tried loading more pics, but NR won't let me.... :( :(

I'll try here....

002-9-1.jpg

005-9.jpg

006-9.jpg

013-5-1.jpg

014-6.jpg

008-7.jpg

004-11.jpg

003-11.jpg

012-7.jpg

016-4.jpg

I know my camera skills are lacking, but I'm working on that too!

OK, so that pretty much brings you up to date. Well. except for the new Micro I picked up Friday...

009.jpg

Love it!

So, Weetie, Diane, Brett, Anthony, Jay, and the rest... there you go! :lol:

I hope you all enjoy the ride from here. Thanks guys.

Any questions or suggestions, fire away peeps!

The funny thing is every time you said don't laugh at your "control center" I found myself already laughing. Then laughing just a bit more when you told me not to. This is perfect. I love all the pics. Now I have something to show my friend who was looking to set up something a little bigger than mine. I keep telling him a 46 bow but he says he needs to see it first.

How is the viewing of this in the living room? Is it in the center of a wall so you can look in the sides too? Or is the right side along a wall and the left visible if you squeeze your head past the cd rack? He is going to put it in the center of the far wall from his bed.

-Jay

Needreefunds
The funny thing is every time you said don't laugh at your "control center" I found myself already laughing. Then laughing just a bit more when you told me not to. This is perfect. I love all the pics.

Thanks Jay!

Now I have something to show my friend who was looking to set up something a little bigger than mine. I keep telling him a 46 bow but he says he needs to see it first.

It may not be the best of choices for a reef ( with the depth ) but I like it very much. If I ever do upgrade I'm pretty sure I can fit a 72g Bow on this wall.

How is the viewing of this in the living room? Is it in the center of a wall so you can look in the sides too? Or is the right side along a wall and the left visible if you squeeze your head past the cd rack? He is going to put it in the center of the far wall from his bed.
Nah, you can see the left without squeezing, and the right is next to the couch. I wish it could be more of a center piece in this room, but no. It's near a corner and a doorway to another room. But the taper of the bow allows this with little difficulty. And I really think A 72 will fit here.

:o Shhhhh, the wifes walking past.. Hey babe... OK she's gone. Yup I will be upgrade...... uh oh ..whats up baby?..Nothin' just checking out something on NR..... I'll finish up later with the upgrade talk. Too risky right now.

A 72 will fit here.... I'll finish up later with the upgrade talk. Too risky right now.

It's later.... :D

Needreefunds
It's later.... :D

I'm just joking, It's all good here. My wife is very understanding and enjoys the tanks also. She even unpacks and acclimates new coral when she gets home before me! ( cool or what? ) BUT, I have to walk slowly with this next upgrade :lol: I know I can fit a 72 bow on that wall. Still in the planning stages and sometimes that is as much fun as having the tank itself! One day........

Cool tank :)

Thanks Monk!

Wow, Richie, I this thread is long overdue. I thought you'd never get around to it! At least it was worth the wait. :)

I love your pic-heavy posts! (Tho I could use a few more labels, hint, hint...If I have to ask what something is, I show how stupid I am. :D)

What gorgeous rics & zoas you have! And the colors on that new micro are outstanding.

And your clowns look so at home--I really like the maroons (or maroon--not sure if I've seen both or just the same one again and again...). How long did you have the 'nem before the one clown hosted it? I would love to watch that nem-feeding behavior of theirs!

Sweet job with the Rapids Pro/fuge work--I'm impressed! What a great addition!

(And BTW, if you're ever out this way, can I get you to work on the spaghetti behind my TV? LOL.)

--Diane

Needreefunds
Wow, Richie, I this thread is long overdue. I thought you'd never get around to it! At least it was worth the wait. :)

Well Thank You Diane, and thanks for giving me one of the needed kicks in the keester to get me started.

I love your pic-heavy posts! (Tho I could use a few more labels, hint, hint...If I have to ask what something is, I show how stupid I am. :D)

I shall try to do better from here on out! ;)

What gorgeous rics & zoas you have! And the colors on that new micro are outstanding.

Like you, I was hooked on Rics and zoas from the start. I hope they continue to thrive as they have so far.

The micro was from a "local" reefer. About 65 miles round trip was well worth it for the price I paid. I feel so lucky to have snagged something with this coloration.

And your clowns look so at home--I really like the maroons (or maroon--not sure if I've seen both or just the same one again and again...). How long did you have the 'nem before the one clown hosted it? I would love to watch that nem-feeding behavior of theirs!
Yes, two Maroons. the little guy stays in the hole in the upper rock near the yellow fiji. It took the Maroon about two months or so before she hosted. The other clowns never showed any interest to host anything in this tank.
Sweet job with the Rapids Pro/fuge work--I'm impressed! What a great addition!

(And BTW, if you're ever out this way, can I get you to work on the spaghetti behind my TV? LOL.)

--Diane

Thanks for all the kind words Diane. As for the spaghetti....I can always help get rid of spaghetti!! ;)

Needreefunds
Needs more coralz, what kind of lighting is over the tank?

Well, then you need to send me some of yur cool stuff! ;)

Sunpod 2 x 150mh

I have been looking for ways to add some actinic supplementation to the 'Pod and still have it look like it should be there.......Insert idea here_________________________________________________________.

Also considering getting a canopy and building my own light configuration, and sell the Sunpod.

But then again, I would like to upgrade, but that might be awhile, so i should upgrade the lighting for now, but, but......( sound familiar????? ) :P

Thanks for stopping by dtfleming!

haha, yea i know, Thats why im thinking of switching to a Ushio 14 or 20K bulb. hard to make actinics look like they should be there with the pod. hence why my frag tank is ghetto with a pod and 48W t5ho fixture.

Needreefunds
haha, yea i know, Thats why im thinking of switching to a Ushio 14 or 20K bulb. hard to make actinics look like they should be there with the pod. hence why my frag tank is ghetto with a pod and 48W t5ho fixture.
I was thinking of trying to hang a couple t5's from the inside of the legs, but I dunno. Been checking out different kits but It's just tough to judge by a picture as to the actual size, ya know? You just don't know whatcha got until it's in your hands. :huh::lol:

I remember buying a skimmer once early on and when it was delivered it was HUGE. LOL.

Maybe I need to talk to Stoney for some ideas.

And that's another thing, the bulbs. The pod came with 14k's , I also have a 14k pod on my frag tank, but it has a Phoenix bulb. I'd swear there is quite a color difference between the two. I will replace the Currents with Phoenix when the time comes.

yea thats what I have over the frag tank is a Phoenix and not to happy with it. 250W has the stock bulb that needs to be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
Needreefunds

Here are some shots of ( oh boy, I don't remember, either AOG or DAYTRIPPERS ) in this tank.

Just to review, lighting is a 2 x 150w MH Sunpod with the stock Current 14k bulbs

056.jpg

057-1.jpg

And here are some frags I made this weekend, but they are now in my prop tank, under a 150w MH Sunpod with a 14k Phoenix bulb, same coral, but can you see the color difference between the two bulb brands?

036-1.jpg

038.jpg

( sorry about the blurr ) I know it really doesn't show with my horrid photo skills, but the colors are really sharp under the Phoenix and sort of washed out under the Currents. My Wife is of the opinion that everything tends to take on a similar pinkish brown tint in this tank, and I tend to agree. Gotta find a cool way to DIY some actinics on this tank.......

and some random shots just because......

Goni / Alvea

005-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Cool micromussa from Mvite, for some reason it looks better in this tank than it did under the prop tank lights

017-1.jpg

This Acan Hillae I got from Mvite awhile back. While trying to remove it from the frag plug I broke it into three. This one was the largest and as you can see it is rounding out beautifully. The other two frags are hanging out in my prop tank. ( actually you can see them in the third pic of this post )

018-1.jpg

I'll round out this little post with a GBTA shot that, well, I just don't know what it was trying to say to me.......

001-3.jpg

:o

Needreefunds

Forgot to add this one. This guy is very hard to catch on film ( ooops, showing my age there......)

003-2.jpg

I've since cleaned up the caulerpa ;)

Thanks for looking!

:)

'Bout time for an update, Richie. :D Just what I love--lotsa pics!

Gee, I think that first zoa is beautiful under both lights--maybe because those close-ups are just so brilliant.

I'd say that's definitely a Goniopora you have there (24 tents)--have you had it long? I thought these were supposed to be difficult (except for some of the red ones)!

Good lookin' clam!

LOL at that GBTA!

RE the postscript--did you mean the brittle star was hard to catch a pic of? They are secretive, aren't they? Until they max out your tank's carrying capacity like mine have. . .<_< Three sweet corals in that pic!

--Diane

Needreefunds
'Bout time for an update, Richie. :D Just what I love--lotsa pics!

Dats how I sux ya in D! :happy:

Gee, I think that first zoa is beautiful under both lights--maybe because those close-ups are just so brilliant.

Brilliant? My pics? Are you sure you are responding to the correct thread?? :huh:

No, really, I didn't mean to suggest that they were unattractive zoos. I just see more, lets say, "detailed coloration" under the Phoenix. Different hues of red / maroon / grey, whereas they appear to "glow" under the Current bulbs. As you can tell, I am struggling to convey what I see :(

I do love them in either tank tho!! :P

I'd say that's definitely a Goniopora you have there (24 tents)--have you had it long? I thought these were supposed to be difficult (except for some of the red ones)!

Thanks for the ID Diane. It was actually sold to me as an Alveapora, but I was never sure ( until now :happy: ) I took it as far as finding out the difference was in the number of tents 12 or 24??, but the person I was speaking to was unsure which was which. Then I sort of, well, got lazy and moved onto something else on NR that particular day. Ever have that happen?.... sort of get sidetracked on NR? ..No? ....Just me I guess......

As for how long, just about six months I would say. What really got me was a beautiful Maroon clown that was hosting it in the LFS, pretty much set the hook in me. So I thought I'd take a chance. Looks to be doing well, no?

Good lookin' clam!

Why, Thank You M'Lady! It does seem happy here.

LOL at that GBTA!

I just barely got that pic before that last bubble tip inverted. I durn near wet meself when I saw it tho!

RE the postscript--did you mean the brittle star was hard to catch a pic of? They are secretive, aren't they? Until they max out your tank's carrying capacity like mine have. . .<_<

Yes, the brittle star is always in the shadows. It usually is under the largest rock under the Goni and sends about 4-5 arms out through the holes in the rock waiting for food. Without a doubt the ugliest creature in this tank, yet probably the most interesting to observe. ( When it will let you that is ).

Three sweet corals in that pic!

I love that little section. That would be an Orange crush and an Acan from Mvite, and that huge red 'shroom from Dickie52. B)

Thanks for the thoughts and kind words Diane, they are very much appreciated!

--Richie

Thanks for the ID Diane. It was actually sold to me as an Alveapora, but I was never sure ( until now :happy: ) I took it as far as finding out the difference was in the number of tents 12 or 24??, but the person I was speaking to was unsure which was which. Then I sort of, well, got lazy and moved onto something else on NR that particular day. Ever have that happen?.... sort of get sidetracked on NR? ..

I have no idea what you're talking about.

--Yeah, right! :lol:

As for how long, just about six months I would say. What really got me was a beautiful Maroon clown that was hosting it in the LFS, pretty much set the hook in me. So I thought I'd take a chance. Looks to be doing well, no?

Yes! :)

Yes, the brittle star is always in the shadows. It usually is under the largest rock under the Goni and sends about 4-5 arms out through the holes in the rock waiting for food. Without a doubt the ugliest creature in this tank, yet probably the most interesting to observe. ( When it will let you that is ).

Gee, I don't even think they're ugly. Eye of the beholder, I guess... :D

--D

Needreefunds
Gee, I don't even think they're ugly. Eye of the beholder, I guess... :D

--D

I meant ugly in a real pretty sort of way!

:rolleyes:

Very cool to watch though. I like how they "conveyor belt" the food particles from the tips of the tents into the body with such a delicate touch. Seems even flake food makes it all the way in its entirety.

Archived