Top Shelf Aquatics

NRF's 46 Bow

Needreefunds

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, I have some hair algae of some sort in my frag tank where the tangs never go. I raised my mag levels to over 1500, more due to not testing than on purpose ;) Anyway, the hair algae dying off is what indicated to me that the mag might be getting high. I tested the mag, and it was 1500. The stuff dies more every day. I think I will keep my mag levels this high for a while.

Make sure you use a good mag test kit like Seachem. Most other mag kits I have used read around 200 points higher than they should, especially when CA levels are high.

Needreefunds

05701.jpg

That was yesterday, see the patch of bryopsis?

00101.jpg

This is this afternoon. :happydance:

The crew seems to be making progress. The BRS Mg supplement may not kill it off like the Kent product, but the aggressive manual removal coupled with the high Mg levels seems to have slowed the growth enough for my CUC to keep it at bay, if not knock it out totally. We shall see. Right now I feel much better about this tank and I have high hopes it can become what it once was. Hopefully the trend continues and I can aqua scape the way I would like instead of putting rock in such a way that I can watch bryopsis patches. <_<

A few more just cuz...

002-15.jpg

00301.jpg

008-13.jpg

04801.jpg

02701-1.jpg

...the last one makes me giggle. :P I really dunnowhy. :happy:

And getting down to one frag rack will be nice too. :happy:

That last shot is really funny. Im glad to hear that the cuc is getting the killer B under control. Keep up the good work buddy.

Needreefunds
:happydance:

Iknowright?? :P

That last shot is really funny. Im glad to hear that the cuc is getting the killer B under control. Keep up the good work buddy.

:P lol, it's like yin-yang and watchyoulookin' at??

Thanks buddy, I'm tryin. Really seems to be turning around.

fingerscrossed

Needreefunds
The one in the back looks mighty jealous and grumpy. :lol:

Nailed that one purty good...bites hard too....lil' bastage. :P

Bite him back. :P

:lol:

My female black clown bites like a b***ch when I clean the tank. I whack her with the algae scraper over and over but she keeps coming back. She is a fearless one!

If I just hold my hand still, she ignores it. B)

Good news NRF on the killer B!! Looks good. That fiji looks better than its mom. Mom is being overran by an RBTA :P Need to get that 210 running and move it now that the weather is turning.

Needreefunds

My female black clown bites like a b***ch when I clean the tank. I whack her with the algae scraper over and over but she keeps coming back. She is a fearless one!

If I just hold my hand still, she ignores it. B)

Good news NRF on the killer B!! Looks good. That fiji looks better than its mom. Mom is being overran by an RBTA :P Need to get that 210 running and move it now that the weather is turning.

The female will push the male away from me when I'm in the tank. Almost as if she knows I mean no harm, is pretty comical actually. :D

Fiji is very happy lately, I love it. With so many changes to my system it's hard to tell what made it perk up, I'm jusy happy it did.

It would be great if you could get some pics of you adding the supports, but I know that's far from being a priority... :P

Thanks for checking up on me Brett. :)

• 1 month later...
Needreefunds

A few update shots here too....

Bryopsis looks to be eradicated, but only time will tell for sure. I am slowly lowering Mg levels via WC's.

I think some Acans and Favites struggled through this treatment, although those that I relocated to my RSM recovered rather quickly ( surprisingly so actually ).

022-8.jpg

024-7.jpg

027-6.jpg

028-6.jpg

031-5.jpg

032-3.jpg

Needreefunds
I love the overall effect of this reef, very lovely. :)

Your plate looks so healthy, I'm obsessed with mine. :o

Thanks Anne!

I was checking out your tank, that plate of yours looks like a volcano! :P Its very pretty.

This one, while a bit "drab" looking is still a fav of mine

Thanks for the kind words. :)

LOL, I couldn't resist taking that photo while my plate was eating a piece of krill.

I'm still a noob, I saw a plate with the same coloration as yours when I bought mine and thought it was beautiful--but I was afraid it wasn't supposed to be that color, and was actually dieing. :o Now I know better, and if I see another one like that, I'm getting it! :P ...though I think I'll still be a noob for another 5 years, so much to learn! :blush:

:D

~Anne

Needreefunds

Yup, the more we know the more we know we don't know, ya know?

:P

I wish I had more available real estate on my sand bed cuz I love plates too.

Ah well, perhaps a re-scape in the future. Right now this poor tank has been through enough.

Working to get it back to where it was before the Bryopsis took over. With a little luck in time it will get there.

Yup, the more we know the more we know we don't know, ya know?

:P

Absolutely. :D

I finally posted pics today! :) And the plate looks normal in these shots ;) --though not as orange as he does in person.

Wondering where you shop (LFSs) in NJ? I'm in Manhattan, hubby is in Jersey every day. :)

Needreefunds
Absolutely. :D

I finally posted pics today! :) And the plate looks normal in these shots ;) --though not as orange as he does in person.

Wondering where you shop (LFSs) in NJ? I'm in Manhattan, hubby is in Jersey every day. :)

Are you following me ? :lol:

Aquatic Obsessions in Avenel is great.

Ocean Gallery II ( now a sponsor here ) has done great things this past year to cater to nano- reefing.

They have added like four new frag tanks and a rather large ( guessing like 210g ) grow out tank for their colonies and frags.

I also like to stop in The Pet Shanty located on Rt 22 as is OG II.

These are my fav LFS that really are "local" to me lol.

:ninja: Shhhh, my hubby could read this, yanno. ;):P

...umm, it wuz Kim's fault..... :happy:

Archived