SaltCritters.com

NRF's 46 Bow

Needreefunds

ummm..wha happeneded to the pix playa' playa'

I do really like the 46 bows and am contiplating switching my scratched up 40 long to this size

LOL......bryopsis is what happened..... :angry:

Gonna start a 46 bow huh?

Really.??......cool !

:rolleyes:

Wowwww Richie! Why have I not gone through this thread before now? :huh: Beatiful job!!!

Quick question though...I see you have 2 Ocellaris (I think) AND 2 Maroon Clowns? I love the Maroon Clowns too...but I thought they were aggressive little stinkers that will bully other clowns? Am I wrong?

Hey Alicia!

Gee, I dunno...... It gets buried now and then :happy:

Yes TWO clown pairs. :o I was a FO guy first and a SUPER NOOB FISH ONLY guy at that. I didn't know any better. They must be 4-5 years old by now. Just recently the Maroons seem to have paired up once again and are working the yellow paly's over something awful.

I think it is but by the grace of the reefing gods that they all get along. :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well......... I have had enough.....can't take it no mo.......gonna smash it wit a hammah......

Its everywhere, its ugly......its killin mah corlz......

Its the killer B.

Bryopsis has overrun this tank. A comedy of errors has caused this.

I mis-identified it early on as hair algae. I thought a combination of aging bulbs ( spectrum shift ) and DI resin in need of changing had helped to support the bloom. After it had progressed and my efforts to fight it back failed I then realized what it was.

So manual removal did nothing. I removed each rock and scrubbed in a bucket ( several times each ) And its back in 1-2 weeks full bloom.

Nasty and invasive is this.

So since I am no longer ashamed.....I will document my efforts to eradicate this nastiness from my beloved 46 bow.

Hopefully this may help others. Perhaps others may help me along the way.

So here we go. Research has shown nothing seems to eat this stuff enough to keep it under control, if at all.

I decided to try the method of raising the Mg.

I think I am at 1800 and could even be as high as 2000 :o :o ...Hard for me to know for sure. As many of you who use the Red Sea kit know, its range stops at like 1280 I think ( not in front of me right now ) But I tried to extend the chart out - do the math ( admittedly NOT a strong point LOL ) and roll with it. I tested, then used the calculator from BRS site and found how much I would need to raise it to 1800. I then added that amount - over a couple days .

Sooo....from my initial starting point, plus adding the "suggested" amount, plus using my half arsed extended Mg chart this is where I think I am.

After the first day major disappointment as I saw no die off, or change whatsoever.

BUT then

Today.....I am seeing a definite change. Areas have begun to lighten.

I am not sure if it will show in pictures, but I will do my best and post them here.

I also need to note here- Up to this point only an open brain coral looks mildly upset.

All other corals actually seem to be enjoying the raised Mg levels.

Stay tuned.

Well, this shot shows a bit of both, You can see where bot as thick, its turning pale. This spot was as green as the forest behind the froggy. We shall see. And pay no mind to that digi leather, gets upset when a clown farts near it. :D Actually, it has full PE right now.

007-7.jpg

Still only mild lightening of the growth here. Coral and fish seem fine.

Today I will be removing each rock and scrubbing AGAIN :angry: and we will see how that works.

I am planning to change my filtration methods on this set up.

I will be adding reactors for carbon and GFO. I have already switched my remora HOB skimmer ( which was awesome for me ) to my Tunze 9010 that was just sitting since I broke down my prop tank.

I still have the slow flow fuge plumbed with the rapids canister. Thinking about using the sump I made for the prop tank. It's a basic sump with a spot for the Tunze, bubble trap, smallish fuge section and then return pump section. Doing this will allow me to house reactors in the stand. Using the rapids along with the reactors is really pretty redundant methinks. The only thing I need to work into the changeover would be a method of catching detritus and other particulate. I always feel the need to have floss / pad / something to catch stuff. I suppose I will either DIY something where the overflow will dump into the sump for floss or a common filter sock.

Decisions....decisions..... :unsure:

Dang...sorry Richie. I had a really small patch of it I thought was remaining GHA from my cycle too...right in the front of my tank on an isolated rock with my GSP frag. It was a rock that I remember specifically getting from a crappy LFS and so I blamed it on that. Their rock always has aip or bubble algae or something yucky on it...I got got a few pieces from them in the beginning before I knew any better... But I plucked the little patch out by hand and scrubbed it and luckily it hasn't come back. My turbos and hermits have been picking more at the area...so maybe if there was any new growth they were able to eat it? I dunno... Anywho...goodluck!!!

Dang...sorry Richie. I had a really small patch of it I thought was remaining GHA from my cycle too...right in the front of my tank on an isolated rock with my GSP frag. It was a rock that I remember specifically getting from a crappy LFS and so I blamed it on that. Their rock always has aip or bubble algae or something yucky on it...I got got a few pieces from them in the beginning before I knew any better... But I plucked the little patch out by hand and scrubbed it and luckily it hasn't come back. My turbos and hermits have been picking more at the area...so maybe if there was any new growth they were able to eat it? I dunno... Anywho...goodluck!!!

Thanks Alicia. It seems if you get the entire plant, stem, base everything...it will be gone. The stem is very strong. My early attempts were not nearly aggressive enough. A light scrubbing and it looked clean. But when you really looked close there was enough matter remaining to re-grow. In two weeks it would look as if I hadn't spent three hours scrubbing and water changing. :angry:

I think if you got most of it and the crew hits it quick enough they can keep it under control if not wipe it out.

I will keep fighting the good fight here. The sad thing is....man this tank was looking simply beautiful right before this. :( seems like a long time ago tho

Oh noes, not the B word!! omgomgomg:(

Iknowright.... :tears:

I am sorry you have the B word in your tank..I don't want to say it out loud it skurrs meh :scarry:

Keep up the hard work, I am sure you will win the battle!

dam da B to hell !!!!!!!! toooo hell !!! :shakingfistsatsky:

at least you have a 46 wit da watah in it :)<_<

I am sorry you have the B word in your tank..I don't want to say it out loud it skurrs meh :scarry:

Keep up the hard work, I am sure you will win the battle!

dam da B to hell !!!!!!!! toooo hell !!! :shakingfistsatsky:

at least you have a 46 wit da watah in it :)<_<

:lol: Hey Thanks Maria.

I got about half yesterday and I am going back in soon. :P

How is that wall looking?

I hope everything turned out well today Richie, good luck with the B man.

Thanks Randy. Not too bad but its VERY difficult to get it all. Even with heavy scrubbing. Looks good but then after the rock it back in the tank you can see very fine strands. Kind of clear looking. They say that's all it needs to hang on and grow back. I am hoping that the scrubbing along with the high Mg will be enough to beat it back.

The reactors should be here and installed by next weekend.I will try to get some shots today before round two starts LOL. That way if it does grow back you can see how quickly it recovers.

How is the pico today? Is the crew making any progress on the diatoms? They will take care of it in time I'm sure.

Hopefully the reactors and the Mg will be the 1-2 knockout punch. Yea the extra CUC really helped I added some conchs from fragglereef and as soon as they hit the water they were cleaning furiously. Ill shoot some pics today of the tank and my frag tank build. Thanks for the help Richie

Sounds great Randy! And no problem buddy, I do what I can.

OK, just so I will have a reference point.

I just finished installing my dual reactor from BRS ( via xbwolfx lol ). Decided to hang it on the side of the tank and drilled one hole thru ( :scarry: ) the side for a clean looking install. Pics later....

oh, also I already see signs of new growth.... <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Needreefunds
Did you take care of that B man?

The fight continues buddy, reactors are running. Did a heavy manual removal Sunday and refreshed all filter media ( floss, phos pads, chemipure X 2 large ) heavy rock scrubbing again followed by a 10 gal water change then changed the media.

Here is how we look today. Some spots here and there but the growth is much slower.

012-8.jpg

013-9.jpg

016-5.jpg

(PSST! yo! look right behind ya- eat that shizz will ya?? ) he does pick at it, there is simply too much for him to control.

017-4.jpg

021-2.jpg

here shows some starting to come back and also my poor struggling acan hillae

022-2.jpg

:(

031-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

I have been thinking of getting some Kent tech-M and adding this with each water change as it seems this is the product that most people have success with

Needreefunds
glad your figi leather looks better than mine.

Thanks dt, hopefully yours pulls through, ( but mebe snip a piece of jussincase )

Nice Fiji!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Looks alot better Rich! that blenny is cute

send me that leather :ninja::flower:

Thanks Maria, I really like that one you picked up as well.

Oh, and that guy above your there.....he hookdedd me up wit dat.

Shhhh, no tell no one tho!

:P

Needreefunds
Are those Weet's Angel's Food Cakes in the first couple of pics? :)

Herrow Lanlan! No ma'am, IIRC those were from Brett.

They continue to get more pink under my lighting.

The yellows were also from Brett.

Needreefunds
Ah, k, they look great anyways. :P

How you doin', Richie?

Thanks Buddeh :happy:

I'm good, How U doin?

Enjoying your modship so far? :P

( gee, wazznt so hard as ya thot wuz it? :lol: )

Herrow Lanlan! No ma'am, IIRC those were from Brett.

They continue to get more pink under my lighting.

The yellows were also from Brett.

Really! I didn't recognize them. What did I call them? Daytrippers? Green Eyed Girls? Pacifici Pinks or something? It's cool to watch zoas morph...

I think my son finally got another fiji frag going other than yours. If I remember right, I cut yours off, threw it in a bag right away and shipped it to 'ya with the rest of your order and you got it to live. Good work!

My son put his frag in one of those new plastic tee shaped reef plugs that are hollow in the tee part. He trapped the frag in the tee portion using nylon thread over the top of the openening and it lived.

Needreefunds
Really! I didn't recognize them. What did I call them? Daytrippers? Green Eyed Girls? Pacifici Pinks or something? It's cool to watch zoas morph...

I think my son finally got another fiji frag going other than yours. If I remember right, I cut yours off, threw it in a bag right away and shipped it to 'ya with the rest of your order and you got it to live. Good work!

My son put his frag in one of those new plastic tee shaped reef plugs that are hollow in the tee part. He trapped the frag in the tee portion using nylon thread over the top of the openening and it lived.

LOL, geez its been so long I really don't recall if you were naming them back then.

Good to here he had some luck with a Fiji frag. Guess I just got super lucky with that one. And yes, you were nice enough to add the fiji frag for me to give it a try. Funny how some of the 'free-bee" frags are some of my favorite and most hardy corals.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post those links Brett. I will check them out shortly.

Little cool update on the bryopsis fight. I added a few emerald crabs last weekend. One was a bit on the pink side. Well the pink fella was munching away on some bryopsis patches last night. I watched while he picked off and consumed several large branches. I just checked out that same area before lights out and it looked to be totally clear. The linear blenny picks at it as well. I really think if I keep up with the manual removal as it sprouts back up I may actually have a chance.

Archived