Pod Your Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Any one have any thoughts on when a tank is ready for sexy shrimp. I will be heeding to my LFS tomorrow to pick up some water and possibly 3 sexy shrimp. The problem I am having is I don't know if my tank is ready or not. My tank has been up for almost 2 months and the water parameters have all been good and stable. Is there anything in particular I should look for. Biggest concern is ill put them in the tank and it will turn into a house of horrors.

Thanks in advance.

Well I got a pair of sexy's today. They look awesome perfect size for my tank. I tried feeding them pellet food with my feeding tongs (boy do they move fast when startled) I need up just placed the pellets near them. How do you teach them to eat from the tongs.

post-68965-0-45856000-1372203378_thumb.jpg

post-68965-0-19652600-1372203396_thumb.jpg

post-68965-0-65102900-1372203404_thumb.jpg

Well I got a pair of sexy's today.

Both females it looks like.

How do you teach them to eat from the tongs.

I would wait for them to smell/see it and they will approach the tongs then grab the food.

Well I got a pair of sexy's today. They look awesome perfect size for my tank. I tried feeding them pellet food with my feeding tongs (boy do they move fast when startled) I need up just placed the pellets near them. How do you teach them to eat from the tongs.

At first, mine were terrified every time i put the turkey baster in to feed the anemone that they lived on, and they would dart into a tiny cave I cut into the live rock for them. Now that they've learned that its food, they run to the baster. I think its just a matter of them getting comfortable with you.

Cool so I will just wait it out and hope the eventually like the tongs. Also I asked the guy at the LFS what he'd fed them and he replied I don't they kinda just take care of the selfs.

I currently have Top Fin sinking crustation food main ingredients are fish meal, krill meal, and shrimp meal. Is this good to feed them or should I look for another type of food.

• 3 weeks later...
Shallow~Reef

I was hoping for like a group of 6 when I setup but not sure if they will eat my corals as I have read. Will feeding them stop their urges to do so?

Feeding them will help, but each sexy is different. Some never eat corals, others can't get enough, no matter how much you feed them. It's a risk, so don't put any expensive corals in there with them if you're not willing to take the chance.

• Like 1

Mine have been pretty good I feed them every other day and they haven't touched my corals except to dance with them. I was thinking of getting more but I might get a pom pom crab instead.

Shallow~Reef

Okay Thanks

Feeding them will help, but each sexy is different. Some never eat corals, others can't get enough, no matter how much you feed them. It's a risk, so don't put any expensive corals in there with them if you're not willing to take the chance.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...