Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Never acclimated any of mine! Just float and drop.

Really? Wow...the only thing I have been told that didn't need to be drip acclimated was coral lol. will keep this in mind. Thanks Lalani :) .

Never acclimated any of mine! Just float and drop.

You've got guts :bowdown: I can't handle the thought of just plopping them in like that; I even drip my snails -_-

Really? Wow...the only thing I have been told that didn't need to be drip acclimated was coral lol. will keep this in mind. Thanks Lalani :) .

Well, there are some things that need to be acclimated: anything sensitive like nems, clams, and some other inverts. I did acclimate a white spot anemone shrimp just to be sure, but sexies are tough little buggers!

• Like 1
Steensj2004
Cool, I have packs of mysis/brine and NLS pellets. I agree mine is greedy too heh, he's always trying to take food from my nass

I need to get a syringe though, where do you get them? I'd ask my chem teacher for one but I'm not sure if they're allowed to give out supplies like that

Pharmacy, it's actually a child's medicine syringe.My GF can also get me them from work(vet)

Well, there are some things that need to be acclimated: anything sensitive like nems, clams, and some other inverts. I did acclimate a white spot anemone shrimp just to be sure, but sexies are tough little buggers!

Very good to know. I'm sure I will acclimate lol.....to new to this and if I kill them the day I get them my wife will kill me because of the money I am putting into this :lol:

• Like 1

Sexies are pretty hardy (for a shrimp). Acclimate for a peace of mind but if your water isn't a sewer, they should be fine (temp acclimation might be the only thing I would stress about to prevent the shock). Question of keeping sexies in groups comes up every so often but yes, you can keep them in groups without issues. As far as food is concern, well no worries...... They will eat just about anything without any complaints. Things to consider: over flow (as they might try to explore the dark side), tankmates (be careful what you put in sexies tank as many, even inverts safe species wouldn't mind such a tasty snack. Be aware that sexies might pick on your corals. Some might say "keep them well fed to diminish their taste for pricey snacks" ...... well, just consider yourself warned. Other then that, cool little guys. Great to see more ppl with sexy fever.

20131212_092714_zps8598ad1a.jpg

• Like 3

I have to hand feed my Pom-Pom.All crabs are opportunistic feeders, and will go after stuff they might not normally go after when huingy. I found my Pom-Pom Misses food at feeding time to other, faster moving livestock. I hand feed mine, I use my tongs and dangle some food near his hideout. He always comes out to grab chow when he smells food now.

so yeah, can i come and be fed at YOUR house?

ha! that is like the buffet for champs! i don't think

the lunches i pack for my kids are that good. 8) thanks

for replying!

okay, WEIRD QUESTION: can you overfeed sexies?

are they like goldfish?

i dropped a double pellet in and it's the size of

two of its heads, i'm worried of overfeeding. ha!

i saw the larger sexy hogging it happily.

Yeah I was worried about sexies getting sucked up the intake lol. I'll try to get big ones. The slits in the AC70 are a little wide but not enough to be too much of a concern. Also, can sexies jump? I think I read somewhere about one getting out of the tank somehow.

Steensj2004

Yeah I was worried about sexies getting sucked up the intake lol. I'll try to get big ones. The slits in the AC70 are a little wide but not enough to be too much of a concern. Also, can sexies jump? I think I read somewhere about one getting out of the tank somehow.

I wouldn't seat this, mine have never left the lower half of my tank/rockwork anyway.

so yeah, can i come and be fed at YOUR house?

ha! that is like the buffet for champs! i don't think

the lunches i pack for my kids are that good. 8) thanks

for replying!

okay, WEIRD QUESTION: can you overfeed sexies?

are they like goldfish?

i dropped a double pellet in and it's the size of

two of its heads, i'm worried of overfeeding. ha!

i saw the larger sexy hogging it happily.

LOL, My fish eat well.....

As far as overfeeding, not, not really. You CAN overfeed the tank and cause water quality issues, so be mindfull of this. I like to spot feed stuff as opposed to just throwing food in. When I randomly throw stuff into my tank food goes uneaten, and rots. It only takes me about 15 minutes to prep, feed, and clean up anyway. Not every polyp gets fed every day, any I am sure I miss a sexy occasionally, maybe even another tank inhabitant. I throw stuff into the water colum for my Mimic Blenny, but other than that I hand feed.

• Like 1

Yes, sexies can jump out of the tank. I've found 1 or 2 dried up on the carpet in the past :/

Whoa, didn't know that. I've never seen mine let go of a rock surface or coral. The thing really likes to have his feet planted.

Can't speak of their jumping abilities as my (sexies) tank has an acrylic top. But I would take Lalani experience into consideration for sexies tank setup. In my experience (I had a dozen of them at one time) they will explore every corner of your tank and then some. Yes, they will mostly scoot around lower half of the tank but that isn't the rule. I have gorgs and vertically scaped Tonga LR and those are one of their favorite hang out spots. Even stream spinner isn't off limits for their adventurous amusement.

Whoa, didn't know that. I've never seen mine let go of a rock surface or coral. The thing really likes to have his feet planted.

Ah, well if you watch it enough, when they get spooked by something they jump so fast it looks like they teleport to the other side of the tank. Great jumping ability!

• Like 2

Ah, well if you watch it enough, when they get spooked by something they jump so fast it looks like they teleport to the other side of the tank. Great jumping ability!

Now that I'd like to see lol. I think my pistol shrimp would probably eat them though. Also I've never drip acclimated anything...ever. Oopsies?

Now that I'd like to see lol. I think my pistol shrimp would probably eat them though. Also I've never drip acclimated anything...ever. Oopsies?

I think if I switch out the biorb to a 10gal for the maxies, I'll add some sexies. I miss them!

And you're such a daredevil :P

I think the white spot was the only thing I've ever drip acclimated actually. Hmm.

You think the pistol would eat the sexy?

They have sexies for $9 at my LFS and they're literally less than 1cm in size right now. TINY!! I really want one simply for the amusement haha.. but I'm too concerned about my big pistol getting aggressive.

Nah, unless the tank is really tiny (which wouldn't be suitable for a pistol) the pistol and sexies wouldn't bother one another. And if the sexies get too close, like I said, they move really quickly and could get out of the pistols range.

Just one sexy won't be very entertaining, that's one reason to get 3 or more, they tend to be more active in groups.

• Like 1
Partially Submerged

If you were to build some kind of a feeding station for sexies, what would you use? I have three in my 3g Picotope, and spot feeding isn't working so well. Any food I just put somewhere for the sexies to pick up is immediately attacked by my nassarius snail and the bazillion bristle worms I seem to have. Could I train the sexies to feed in a small open-top baby food jar or something like that?

i only have the two sexies right now. they

are buddies, it seems. and i've lost shrimps in

this pico tank. it's an aqueon zen nano and it

has a glas top but with 1 inch gaps. it's enough

for shrimps to jump out of an also lost a tetra that way. =(

any advice. is there netting i can buy maybe?

i know the sexies seem to bottom dwell more, but

i did see one dart in alarm super fast on first day--so

it is capable of jumping out of a tank, yes.

As far as overfeeding, not, not really. You CAN overfeed the tank and cause water quality issues, so be mindfull of this. I like to spot feed stuff as opposed to just throwing food in.

your lucky fishies and critters!

yes, i was spot feeding as well. just had two

pellets stuck together and worried it was too much.

but they are gone this morn, so assumed something ate

them. ha! thank you!

• Like 1
Steensj2004

i only have the two sexies right now. they

are buddies, it seems. and i've lost shrimps in

this pico tank. it's an aqueon zen nano and it

has a glas top but with 1 inch gaps. it's enough

for shrimps to jump out of an also lost a tetra that way. =(

any advice. is there netting i can buy maybe?

i know the sexies seem to bottom dwell more, but

i did see one dart in alarm super fast on first day--so

it is capable of jumping out of a tank, yes.

your lucky fishies and critters!

yes, i was spot feeding as well. just had two

pellets stuck together and worried it was too much.

but they are gone this morn, so assumed something ate

them. ha! thank you!

I am weird about feeding and my water quality.I have waaaaaaay to much money in my stuff to slack on it,lol. I spend on average an hour doing maintenance/working every day on my tank after work. Feeding (by hand). Turning up the MP10 to stir up any uneaten food, etc.

I have a Pistol -Goby pair with my Sexies. They never bother each other, occasionally something will get to close to the Pistol's den and I'll hear a snap. My sexies are NONE to adventurous. They stay by my RF Nem and the LPS like Frogspawn/Hammer Skeletons.