Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Thanks for the tips on feeding!! Mine always comes running when im feeding my corals, but never seems to grab any food!

Currently, my sexy is hosting a toadstool and occasionally a bubble coral...looking into anemones soon! So I can find him something a little more natural!

reef007.jpg

iphone013.jpg

I am wanting to get three sexies in my 6 gallon. My only concern is feeding. I feed my tank frozen brine, cyclopeeze, and pirhanna eggs. Would I have to feed my shrimp something else? And I have a domino damsel in my tank. Are they compatable?

jedimasterben
I am wanting to get three sexies in my 6 gallon. My only concern is feeding. I feed my tank frozen brine, cyclopeeze, and pirhanna eggs. Would I have to feed my shrimp something else? And I have a domino damsel in my tank. Are they compatable?

Piranha eggs? Where the heck do you get those?

As for the shrimp, they will eat anything (shrimp are typically scavengers, after all), but I would invest in some nice pellets for them so you can guarantee they would eat.

As for compatibility, damsels are aggressive and are not compatible with very much, plus they get pretty big for a 6g (6" long). You may be fine, but I wouldn't put it past one if it decides to have a taste.

My sexies love the brine shrimp, but I've found the pellets are a really good idea, too, especially since my clown goes out of its way to eat everything in sight. The pellets sink, so the sexies have a chance for a peaceful munch, especially when the pellets make their way onto the coral. Honestly, except for the trimma goby, every thing that moves for food in my tank loves pellets.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggetions out there on QT procedures for these little guys?

Also, I have a small nano box overflow from Glass Holes and while my rock structure is away from it, I do wonder if the sexy shrimp tend to venture down overflows. The teeth are small on the overlfow but these little guys could still make their way down it if they were looking for an adventure.

Edited by jmsalt1
jedimasterben
Any suggetions out there on QT procedures for these little guys?

Also, I have a small nano box overflow from Glass Holes and while my rock structure is away from it, I do wonder if the sexy shrimp tend to venture down overflows. The teeth are small on the overlfow but these little guys could still make their way down it if they were looking for an adventure.

Why would you need to QT them?

In the past, I have not QT'd inverts. However, I am sure QT for observation wouldn't hurt. Also, anything being introduced to your tank can carry unwanted pests even if they are not known to be a problem with that particular animal. I QT all fish and corals so will probably QT the sexy shrimp as well.

I get my 3 sexies in next week :D So stoked!! Just thought I'd share the news :)

Woo hoo!

You know what they call em' sexy shrimp ehh? Theyve allways showing their ass off! Stickin it str8 up in the air for the whole world to see lol! :lol:

They are called anemone shrimp, too, for much more prosaic reasons!

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben
I was thinking about getting a small 3 gallon pico reef. How many sexies could I have in that size tank?

How many can you afford to put in it? That's about the limit. They have an almost negligible bioload.

I have 8 sexy shrimp. 2 males and 6 females. There's usually at least one or two carrying eggs at any given time. I've really enjoyed having them in my 28g tank. They are very interesting to watch.

Here's a photo of one of the males on a sponge.

082712no6.jpg

jedimasterben
I'd say no more than 10 in a 3gal. You don't want to cram them in like clowns in a clown car.

Awww, come onnnnn. ;)

Kidding. Most people wouldn't purchase that many. When I asked my LFS for 12 of them they just looked at me like I was nuts. :lol: Even though I gave most of them away, I still have two left in my 80g and I see them swinging their butts every day. Whoever said they seem to disappear in big tanks. :)

jedimasterben
And you didn't give me any of them?!?!?! :angry:

You never asked or I would have given you some, dahling. :)

haha, thanks everyone! I think I'm going to get 5 to start

Enjoy them! They're the best! :wub:

I am getting ready to setup a either a Mr Aqua 7.5 cube or get a custom 12x12x12 cube built by micro reef's "I like that they come with lids and rounded corners" for my wife, I am setting it up as a reef tank with a DIY led and maybe 5-6 maxi min's and other corals and will have about 10-12 sexy shrimp in it and maybe a pair of ORA neon gobies or yasha gobies, just want a pair of fish that will live in harmony with the sexies and add some movement to the tank

I had 8 sexies in my RSM when I had it setup the last time and my stupid clownfish developed a taste for them and ended up eating all of them after about 5 months

I currently have 7 sexies in a 2.5g (1 male, 6 female). I wouldn't recommend more than 8 for that size, and even then you need to feed them well or they can get a little aggressive. Tho more often than not, they'll find their way over the overflow in search of food.

I also wouldn't recommend more than 2 males for a 3g or smaller. I only keep one because two just fight and one eventually jumps out of the tank.

If you do put a lot in a small tank, try to keep them near the same size. Otherwise the small ones stay small while the big ones hog the food. I actually had a couple tiny males that I didn't need, so put them in my display tank instead of the breeder. The display provides a more abundant bounty of nutrients, thus that little male turned female and quickly grew larger than any other sexy I have. I put her in the breeder and now she's queen. :)

And FYI, I believe Pj86 has successfully breed them to adulthood. Hopefully I will soon. It's a difficult but fun project. The key is to just make it a habit and give yourself a lot of time to finally get things right. As it is with most things worth doing. ;)

And FYI, I believe Pj86 has successfully breed them to adulthood. Hopefully I will soon. It's a difficult but fun project. The key is to just make it a habit and give yourself a lot of time to finally get things right. As it is with most things worth doing. ;)

My fave fantasy is that my pair will produce some who live to adulthood even with me doing nothing :P -- yes, I know it's a fantasy! I do enjoy having them in the tank!

I am considering adding my koralia hydor nano back into the tank -- tucked behind rock at the bottom where I won't see it. Are there any problems with sexies and greater flow/turbulence?