Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

and i thought i was negative!. i realize most will die especially since this is my first time trying but im gonna have to be a little more positive then u here :)

So sure? My comment was clearly positive, yet you chose to quote the other. Look within. ;)

Personally, I find it productive to have little expectation one way or the other. You will undoubtedly succeed, so long as you want to.

ShrimpyPooh
So sure? My comment was clearly positive, yet you chose to quote the other. Look within. ;)

Personally, I find it productive to have little expectation one way or the other. You will undoubtedly succeed, so long as you want to.

yes your response was positive thank you. debating when to put my girls in the tank i set up for the babies, both of them actually have eggs but im waiting till i see the babies more developed in the eggs before i do so. any suggestions

• 3 weeks later...
Goby Angyl

Will Yellow Polyps eat Sexy Shrimp?

I did a search and there's no mention of "Yellow Polyps" on this whole topic... On this whole forum the only mention of yellow polyps with sexy shrimp is in a couple of stocking lists for tanks larger than my 10 gallon and one is just asking if the list sounds good so I have no clue.

My 10 gallon has a nice, nearly fist sized colony of yellow polyps and I'm thinking of adding a group of around 5-7 sexy shrimp at some point.

Right now the yellow polyps are the only threat. The only other predators are a female boxer crab (getting "Wasabi" a mate), some really big gray banded micro-brittle stars, dwarf red tip hermit crabs, and the 3 gobies.

1 Jaguar Goby, 1 Green-Banded Goby, and 1 Yellow Clown Goby all named after ninja turtles. :P

Corals are clove polyps, discosoma mushrooms, a kenya tree, and star polyps.

Yellow polyps won't hurt sexy shrimp, they are anemone shrimp after all. ;)

If anything the sexies might snack on the polyps.

jedimasterben
Will Yellow Polyps eat Sexy Shrimp?

I did a search and there's no mention of "Yellow Polyps" on this whole topic... On this whole forum the only mention of yellow polyps with sexy shrimp is in a couple of stocking lists for tanks larger than my 10 gallon and one is just asking if the list sounds good so I have no clue.

My 10 gallon has a nice, nearly fist sized colony of yellow polyps and I'm thinking of adding a group of around 5-7 sexy shrimp at some point.

Right now the yellow polyps are the only threat. The only other predators are a female boxer crab (getting "Wasabi" a mate), some really big gray banded micro-brittle stars, dwarf red tip hermit crabs, and the 3 gobies.

1 Jaguar Goby, 1 Green-Banded Goby, and 1 Yellow Clown Goby all named after ninja turtles. :P

Corals are clove polyps, discosoma mushrooms, a kenya tree, and star polyps.

The opposite will more likely be true. Keep your sexy shrimp well-fed or else you'll find they'll make a meal out of the skirts on the polyps. None of my zoas or palys have skirts anymore.

Goby Angyl
Yellow polyps won't hurt sexy shrimp, they are anemone shrimp after all. ;)

If anything the sexies might snack on the polyps.

I forgot that they're Anemone Shrimp! :o

The opposite will more likely be true. Keep your sexy shrimp well-fed or else you'll find they'll make a meal out of the skirts on the polyps. None of my zoas or palys have skirts anymore.

Wow! :D Guess they need more eats!

Thank You For The Advise And Such Fast Replies!!

Edited by Goby Angyl
  • 3 weeks later...

I have three sexy shrimp. One of them is HUGE and is not curvy anymore :rolleyes: but looks sort of squarish/straight. This shrimp doesn't match the pictures of the gravid shrimp pictures on this thread, what could be up with it?

jedimasterben
I have three sexy shrimp. One of them is HUGE and is not curvy anymore :rolleyes: but looks sort of squarish/straight. This shrimp doesn't match the pictures of the gravid shrimp pictures on this thread, what could be up with it?

Pics?

I haven't found this anywhere. Are barnacle blennies compatible with sexy shrimp?

Well I know they stay small (max of 1.5-2 inches) but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't go after shrimp. When I ordered the sexies to begin with I ordered 4, the lfs bought five and put them in a goby tank they forgot had a tiny (and I mean TINY, like half an inch or less) as some adult hawks they were selling had spawned and that was one of the fry. That tiny hawk killed three sexies in the four hours before I arrived to pick them up. Naturally the lfs took the loss and reorded sexies for me, but that's how's that tiny doesn't necessarily mean safe. And I know barnacle blennies can be voracious eaters.

jedimasterben
Well I know they stay small (max of 1.5-2 inches) but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't go after shrimp. When I ordered the sexies to begin with I ordered 4, the lfs bought five and put them in a goby tank they forgot had a tiny (and I mean TINY, like half an inch or less) as some adult hawks they were selling had spawned and that was one of the fry. That tiny hawk killed three sexies in the four hours before I arrived to pick them up. Naturally the lfs took the loss and reorded sexies for me, but that's how's that tiny doesn't necessarily mean safe. And I know barnacle blennies can be voracious eaters.

But they do not attach sexy shrimp. I had one with a dozen sexy shrimp in my 55g. Nothing has even paid them any attention.

SalinityJones

I've had my cute little Sexy Shrimps for about a week now, a female and two males in my 15 gallon tank . I noticed today that one had molted - and now I seem to have two females and a male! One male appears to have joined the other team with the molt. S/he is smaller than the other female but now has the characteristic female body shape and broken white stripe. S/he also appears somewhat green now rather than orange. Prior to the molt he was a little shrimp (heh) with the slimmer male body and solid stripe.

Can they change like that or am I seeing things? Such drama in my little tank! :-)

:welcome: to NR and the sexy club!

I've never seen them change like that, but maybe you have some really young ones and their structure alters as they mature... maybe someone who breeds them would be able to answer that for you. The green color will go away though, they often do that around molting time. :)

Can they change like that or am I seeing things?

Yep! I just had one do the same thing. Incidentally, she was very pregnant as of yesterday. I haven't seen her today, so she's probably ready to pop.

The green color will go away though, they often do that around molting time. :)

And while they're sleeping. It's kind of odd.

Edited by Whys
dixie reefer

I just started my 10 gal and I wanted to add some ss after it's done cycling. What other kinds of shrimps can co-exist with ss?

jedimasterben
I just started my 10 gal and I wanted to add some ss after it's done cycling. What other kinds of shrimps can co-exist with ss?

Any.

I've heard that coral banded shrimp are really aggressive but I have no experience with them. The majority of shrimp are fine with sexies but you don't want to pack too many into a 10gal tank.

3-5 sexies and a skunk cleaner shrimp would be a good match.