Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

brandolando4

so ive read that some sexy shrimp will eat certain types of coral.

What corals should i avoid with sexy shrimp in the tank?

Keep them well fed and they shouldn't bother coral too much. Mine eat pellets like candy. They can and do sometimes munch on softies. Zoas mushrooms ect.

Seamonkey84

I was finally able to get mine special ordered through the Petco I work at, $10 without my discount. Only got the two now but waiting for three more.

Question for you all. I'm cycling a 1.7G pico atm and I plan to have sexies in the tank. I'm wondering what the max is you think I could get. 3 or 5? The only other stock is possibly a neon goby. So my choices are:

3 Sexies

5 Sexies

3 Sexies and a goby

So, do you think that 5 would be to many or that 3 and a neon would be to many?

how often is should i feed them?? every other day?

Every other day is fine, unless they start to feed on corals, then bump up the feedings!

Question for you all. I'm cycling a 1.7G pico atm and I plan to have sexies in the tank. I'm wondering what the max is you think I could get. 3 or 5? The only other stock is possibly a neon goby. So my choices are:

3 Sexies

5 Sexies

3 Sexies and a goby

So, do you think that 5 would be to many or that 3 and a neon would be to many?

5 sexies and a tiny goby would be fine, sexies don't add very much to the bioload. :)

People are over-pricing a lot of things. Live aquaria has them for $7 but prepare to get ####ed by the long dick they call shipping. lol

I got two of the 7 dollars sexies from liveaquaria and they were listed as "tiny". When I got them I thought "oh no". They were the size of a sharp pencil tip. I didn't know what else to do so I tried to release them in the tank after acclimating and my small coris wrasse said "thankyou very much...CHOMP". That joker got a 15 dollar surf and turf meal without the turf.

Think I should add my little guys to this:

IMAG0515.jpg

I feed mine twice a day cause they love my zoas. If you want to see what damage they can do check my tank thread, I think the pics are on pg. 4

Nor_Cal_Cuber
Think I should add my little guys to this:

IMAG0515.jpg

I feed mine twice a day cause they love my zoas. If you want to see what damage they can do check my tank thread, I think the pics are on pg. 4

Mine have eaten Zoas, two frogspawns and several mushrooms. PITA shrimp I call them now.

Seamonkey84
I got three, and I CANT GET THEM TO HOST! I would like them to host my maxi mini's, any tips?

My shrimps are on and off with the many maxi anemones I have. But either they are really shy or maybe my pom pom crab is more aggressive than I thought. I have/had 4 shrimps and now I can only ever see two. Unless they are getting eatten by the maxis while trying to host.

well 1 sits around and sometimes on one of my maxi's the other two like sitting on my duncans, only one has been accepting food. They are still new so I should give them some time.

**sigh**

After being a strong advocate of sexy shrimpies and their supposed non-coral eating ways I have to post that since the edition of 2 final ones, both larger then the others. Maybe female, maybe just older. They have all started eating my birdsnest. Then when that was dead, my acro's. Then to my monti. After removing all SPS from the tank, I finally caught all 5 of them eating my hammers. In less then 2 hours they killed an entire head. Fscking little bastards. ;/ They are all getting moved to a pico with nothing but zooa's and recordia. Somehow they never touched my zooa's in the other tank, though thats what everyone says they love to eat.

Just a note for future sexy owners. Be careful as with all shrimp and crabs. Mine were fine for 6 months+ then BAM.

Hi everybody! I currently have a 10 gallon freshwater tank up, and a 3 gallon betta fish tank up but I have ALWAYS wanted to have a tank for shrimp! I LOVE these little sexies! I was thinking of a 3 gallon tank? How many sexies could I put in here? Do sexies get along well with blue legged hermit crabs? Any other suggestions or tips for me? THANKS!

lawnmowerblenny

I'd just keep 2-3 in a 3 gal w/ no fish just corals maybe a mini nem, look at this months featured profile, he has 3 in his tank. and I think its 2-3 gal.

sexys have been know to be kept with almost every invert out there succesfully including mantis shrimp.....

thta being said a blue leg hermit would be no match for a sexy, for one they are incredibly fast and 2 I doubt a hermit would even be intrested unless the sexy was already dead...

I have a hard time seeing anything but a REALLY fast fish or spearing small mantis able to catch a sexy. They don't even look like they move, they teleport. Just 'pop' and they are 6 inches away on a rock. trips me out. Easy to net though. :D

igotreefermadness
sexys have been know to be kept with almost every invert out there succesfully including mantis shrimp.....

Was it a smaller species of mantis? I'm interested in keeping one.

I got a mini maxi to add to my collection yesterday and 3 leetle sexy shrimp.

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8236.jpg

I found one standing in one of my carpets this morning.

Edited by Sunstar

Does anyone else's sexies eat all of their Xenia? I can't keep the stuff alive for more then a week because of the constant picking. I feed the tank at least once a day and sometimes twice.