ReefCleaners.org

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

I have never actually fed mine. They usually get leftovers from when I feed my coral. I was gone for a month where basically only the fish got fed and they are still there. There are a few coral acting strange but no total losses.

Today I joined the sexy shrim owners clan, this is the first time I have owned these shrimp and I love them already, I added 3 to my 4 gal pico, only 2 came out to show off.

Dsc_0299-1.jpg

Dsc_0293.jpg

Dsc_0294-1.jpg

Cute ladies. :)

I started adding Iodine to my tank (without testing, I know I know) and whamo, one of them has eggs! If it's warmer tomorrow I'll get a hatching tank together for them.

Does anyone get away with feeding them less than this (while preventing them from nipping at corals)?

Luck of the draw I think. I don't feed mine, but then they're in with seahorses so there's a lot of extra food in the tank.

I'm thinking about breaking down my 29BCHQI and going down to a 14BC... Stock list might go like this.

Sexy x 10 (at what point do they get territorial?)

Maxi mini x (a few)

CUC all snails

And my existing randall's pistol and yasha.

edit: Just read this...

I have 12 in my 8g!

Make that...

Sexy x 20 omgomgomg

Edited by kgoldy
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool thread! I kept about 5 of them in a 125g reef a couple of years ago....im just about to start up a 12g Aquapod in a few weeks I thought I'd give hem a shot again...I'm lucky enough to be able to get my own sexy shrimp, where I live you can snorkel for a few minutes and see lots of sexy shrimp. They are always under sun anemones or corckscrew anemones. :D

Has anyone had problems with them eating corals? I had never heard they were prone to pick on corals :S

• 2 weeks later...
Seamonkey84

I have a 2.5 gallon for my maxi minis and waiting for my shrimp. How many would be safe to put in? I was planing 3 but with them and 2 pom pom crabs being the only thing besides cuc ( 3 ceriths and 2 nassarius snails), would 5 shrimp be ok? I was thinking 4 but odd numbers are better. Oh, not sure how many maxi nems I'll end up with, may need to upgrade tank if I keep collecting. Or just more tanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Seamonkey84

Cant believe I forgot to post, got my sexies last Thursday! I got two of them so far and I thought I lost one during a rescape but she turned up. Now waiting for them to host in one of my maxi anemones. They now have 6 to chose from. I guess one of my pom pom crabs didn't make it through his first week as I found his body (or do molts smell a bit too?).

I want to add 2 of sexies in bc29 but am afraid they might eat coral and clam

also would 2 be okay? or would I have to shoot for 3?

Edited by mkizz

Damn you guys!!!!!!!! I want a sexy. My lfs sells them for $14 each! I'd like to have three, but forget paying that much!

Edited by Mitch619
brandolando4

dude i drove an hour south to get my sexies at 13 dollars a shrimp, my lfs where i live sells them for 23 dollars a shrimp!!

brandolando4

lol, u made me laugh so loud just now. Call petco and see if they will order them, they are 7 dollars at petco!