Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

what does it say? I see them fine, it's hosted on photobucket.

Hmm, I can see them now :rolleyes:

Awesome shots! WOW! :wub:

Here are some video clips that I shot of my sexy shrimps, yesterday.

- Sexy shrimp

- All the sexy shrimpies! (Music: by my girlfriend :flower: )

Best seen on YouTube in 720p HD!

I absolutely love my sexy shrimp. I had a male/female pair and when I came home from Thanksgiving at my mom's (I was gone for 3 days), the male was M.I.A. I was very surprised as they were doing AWESOME for many many months. When I switch over to the cube tank I will certainly be adding more. I love sexy shrimp

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my newest sexy shrimp. Sorry for the photo quality, but that's the edge of a 2 inch hole it's perched upon, so it's pretty darn tiny.

Grew this one myself and have lots more on the way. :)

simple_trinket.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome! What a cutie. :happy:

That's 23 days post hatch and zero days post metamorphosis. The body shape is sexy, but the markings still look larval. No spots and no butt wiggle as of yet either.

I already have two dozen with as many on the way. I'll move them to a grow out tank in two weeks and keep you updated on their progress. I hear it takes quite awhile to grow them large enough for most aquariums.

I could send you a few when ever you think they're ready for you. :)

Here is my newest sexy shrimp. Sorry for the photo quality, but that's the edge of a 2 inch hole it's perched upon, so it's pretty darn tiny.

Grew this one myself and have lots more on the way. :)

Congrats on your victory!!!

Butt wiggle! butt_dance-2181.gif

I wanted to give you an idea of their scale. That's a normal sized toothpick in the video.

At last count I have 60. Still more on the way. :)

And sorry for the jiggly cam. I was holding a toothpick in one hand, the camera in the other, and a flashlight in my mouth, all while trying to keep it in focus.

lnglostsurfer

Wow this is an incredible thread. I didn't even want sexys until now. I looked through as much of the 63 pages as I could (which was about 3 pages) and am curious as to how much flow they can handle. I know I saw someone (Lani?) mention something about an Aquaclear mini on full blast but I'm not sure how much power those have. I don't currently have a ton of flow but there's no telling what I'll upgrade next :D

this seams like a good place to ask this, has any one kept sexys with pistol shrimp? would it even be possible to do this?

They probably won't bother each other!

Wow this is an incredible thread. I didn't even want sexys until now. I looked through as much of the 63 pages as I could (which was about 3 pages) and am curious as to how much flow they can handle. I know I saw someone (Lani?) mention something about an Aquaclear mini on full blast but I'm not sure how much power those have. I don't currently have a ton of flow but there's no telling what I'll upgrade next :D

Ime, sexies can handle just about any a kind of flow. They usually find a spot that feels most comfortable to them and stay there. :)

Thanks for sharing...sexy shrimps are one the most beautiful inverts in our hobby but I hav too many zoas...Cant risk it...

Found this thread and want to contribute. My new sexy (only 1 for now as that's all they had) and he has decided to host my hammer. I actually bought a rock flower anemone for him, but he has decided to disappear into a crevice in my LR so until he comes out this will do.

post-79022-0-28629600-1363358260_thumb.jpg

I plan on getting a couple more because they're so entertaining. They will more than likely the only shrimp I'll have in my 13g.

Justin_Luke

ok so i have an EcoPico 5.i gallon nano setup and i have a huge blue mushroom (3 1/2 inches in diameter) in it. Do you think sexy shrimp would host that?

What's the story on Sexies munching corals? I've never seen this but others have stated it. Is this a common occurrence? Are there particular corals to be concerned about?

jedimasterben

What's the story on Sexies munching corals? I've never seen this but others have stated it. Is this a common occurrence? Are there particular corals to be concerned about?

Sexy shrimp eat corals. Corallimorphs, LPS, SPS, doesn't matter. Only stuff I've never witnessed them eat are anemones and ricordeas. They usually start off eating the skirts off of zoas, and mine quickly moved on to more expensive corals.

Sexy shrimp eat corals. Corallimorphs, LPS, SPS, doesn't matter. Only stuff I've never witnessed them eat are anemones and ricordeas. They usually start off eating the skirts off of zoas, and mine quickly moved on to more expensive corals.

It's not that I don't believe you. I absolutely do. What I don't understand is why I've never seen it, why they are always sold as reef safe, and why my own have never bothered my frogspawn, watermelon mushroom, heliopora, birds nest, pocilipora, and perhaps a couple others. 2 rather knowledgeable LFS in my area have never made mention of it or complained. So you see, while I do believe you, it's hard to reconcile with everything I know about these shrimp. You say there aren't any subspecies and that their dietary habits are all the same. But something does seem different, no?

ok so i have an EcoPico 5.i gallon nano setup and i have a huge blue mushroom (3 1/2 inches in diameter) in it. Do you think sexy shrimp would host that?

They would probably spend some time of the mushroom but they like to move around a bit.

And Whys, I've only ever seen sexies eat zoa skirts.

jedimasterben

And Whys, I've only ever seen sexies eat zoa skirts.

I shoulda sent you mine - they probably would have trained yours pretty good ;)