ReefCleaners.org

The Unofficial Sexy Shrimp Thread

Lalani

Partially Submerged

Have you checked the first post of this thread? The best way to feed sexies is to spot feed them with tweezers are tongs, ime.

Yes, and I followed El Fab's feeding guide. Using nice and long tweezers and little shrimp pellets. It works reasonably well with two of them. The third just darts off. I'd prefer some stationary feeding solution.

Pistol/sexies can coexist even in smaller tanks (had a dozen sexies with watchman and pistol in 7g AIO cube) Sexies are ninjas. Way faster than any pistol. Besides, pistols stay in safe distance of their home/burrow. Except at nights, when they usually scavenge through the sand bed and live rock. As to alternative feeding methods that might help sexies get their fair share of nutrients, try 3/4" glass or pvc tube with suction caps to attach it to tank wall. Keep most of the tube (length is up to you) submerge with only an inch or so above water line. Sprinkle food of choice and let it slowly sink. Sexies will learn to feed out of this "feeder" tube in no time. Eventually, they will get bold enough to enter the tube as soon as you submerge it in the water. It also helps keep waste at minimum. As to one inch gap between top covering the tank.....I wouldn't worry about it. You should be fine.

So would a group of 3 be too small for them to be comfortable in a fluval spec V? I'm just worried about bio load

They produce minimum bio-load. I wouldn't keep just one or a pair. More the better. They get along just fine in small or large groups.

Yes, sexies can jump out of the tank. I've found 1 or 2 dried up on the carpet in the past :/

Ack I might need a lid then lol

On a side note, picking up my trio in a few hours hopefully :P

UPDATE: So unfortunately, Operation Sexy is being put on hold :( LFS couldn't find any... sigh. Will try again this weekend.

• Like 2
Partially Submerged

As to alternative feeding methods that might help sexies get their fair share of nutrients, try 3/4" glass or pvc tube with suction caps to attach it to tank wall. Keep most of the tube (length is up to you) submerge with only an inch or so above water line. Sprinkle food of choice and let it slowly sink. Sexies will learn to feed out of this "feeder" tube in no time. Eventually, they will get bold enough to enter the tube as soon as you submerge it in the water. It also helps keep waste at minimum.

Great idea, I'll do that. Thank you!

• Like 1

UPDATE: So unfortunately, Operation Sexy is being put on hold :( LFS couldn't find any... sigh. Will try again this weekend.

that's a real bummer. i hope they can get some

for you soon.

• Like 1

hello all!

this morning, i found a sexy nibbling on something.

one side was dark brown, like a shell, the flip side

was white "meat". i have NO idea what it was. i checked

the zoas near it, it didn't look like coral at all. so strange.

the grub was the size of maybe 1/3 of my pinky nail. here

it is munching on the white flesh of whatever in a brown shell.

sexyeating.jpg

and here's my sexy pair hanging by my mushroom coral this

morning. this mushroom coral hasn't opened fully in some time. =(

no idea why not. one bit is curled up, as if something is bothering it.

it survived my Jar of Death pretty well, so not sure why it's not

been happy.

sexypair.jpg

Toybuddha

To feed the sexys that are easily scared, I use a syringe with hard tubing to draw up the food and release it just over the sexy's head so it sinks down right on top if them.

I don't target feed my sexies at all. They have learned to grab the food when I drop it in themselves. They are good scavengers.

• Like 1
Steensj2004

Yup two stay on my green one 24/7, the other two wonder, one to my hammer skeleton and the other to my frogspawn skeleton. The all four hang out near the Nem fairly often.

• Like 1

since my pom pom crab died today :( , i'm

considering adding another sexy shrimp

to my pico. i only have 2 sexy shrimps and

2 snails--though to be honest, i haven't seen

the second snail in a while. =O

i need to research emerald crab as i have

a few bubble algae. not sure if good for such

a small tank.

antsypants

thor-amboimnensis-cleavage-tattoo.jpg

Lol

:haha::haha::haha: it's too bad not many people will get the reference, still hilarious though

since my pom pom crab died today :( , i'm

considering adding another sexy shrimp

to my pico. i only have 2 sexy shrimps and

2 snails--though to be honest, i haven't seen

the second snail in a while. =O

i need to research emerald crab as i have

a few bubble algae. not sure if good for such

a small tank.

Oh no :( you're certain it's not a molt? Also, good call, if it truly is dead, as it seems like sexies do well in odd groups. Btw, if your crab is dead, there might not be something to eat the snail if it too is dead which might cause some problems so I'd look into making sure there isn't a rotting snail under your rock or something :lol:

Oh no :( you're certain it's not a molt? Also, good call, if it truly is dead, as it seems like sexies do well in odd groups. Btw, if your crab is dead, there might not be something to eat the snail if it too is dead which might cause some problems so I'd look into making sure there isn't a rotting snail under your rock or something :lol:

yeah. i fished it out. it had molted when it first went

into the tank, and it looked completely different this time.

the carapace was dark with its meat and stuff. so sad. :(

i'm leaning toward NO on the emerald crab. seems

like they might get aggressive. so maybe just another sexy

for me.

i'll nose around for the snail some more. aye. it's only

been "missing" a day or two, and i'm NOT looking real hard.

antsypants

yeah. i fished it out. it had molted when it first went

into the tank, and it looked completely different this time.

the carapace was dark with its meat and stuff. so sad. :(

i'm leaning toward NO on the emerald crab. seems

like they might get aggressive. so maybe just another sexy

for me.

i'll nose around for the snail some more. aye. it's only

been "missing" a day or two, and i'm looking real hard.

Emeralds are iffy for me too. Some people say they're nice, others have mean ones. Is the bubble algae bad?

• Like 1

O..M..G!!! I just picked up my sexy shrimp and they are so ADORABLE!!!!!!! But I am scared now....

If I am lucky they are only about a 1/4" in size, just little things. You don't think my firefish or goby will eat them do you? :wacko:

I even picked up an anemone for them and my porcelain crab. Maybe they will go to him and stay safe there.

• Like 2

Emeralds are iffy for me too. Some people say they're nice, others have mean ones. Is the bubble algae bad?

no. bubble algae not so bad. i count like 5 or 6.

there are two bigger ones, and i have both red and green.

ha! but i haven't bothered to do anything--since i just lowered

phosphates to a good level recently.

O..M..G!!! I just picked up my sexy shrimp and they are so ADORABLE!!!!!!! But I am scared now....

If I am lucky they are only about a 1/4" in size, just little things. You don't think my firefish or goby will eat them do you? :wacko:

I even picked up an anemone for them and my porcelain crab. Maybe they will go to him and stay safe there.

CONGRATS!

i hope they do okay. i was shocked by how small mine

were too. and my larger one is 1/2 inch!

i have freshwater shrimp and my ghost shrimp is like 10 times

bigger than my sexy shrimp. =O

good luck, dave!!! and enjoy them!

• Like 1
antsypants

woop woop! pics :D sexies and firefish should be fine, especially if they've got a nem to hide under :)

no. bubble algae not so bad. i count like 5 or 6.

there are two bigger ones, and i have both red and green.

ha! but i haven't bothered to do anything--since i just lowered

phosphates to a good level recently.

Ah well if you get a siphon going, you can have someone hold it while you pluck them out and make sure to siphon around the area to be sure the spores get sucked up. Kinda like at the dentists when one of them pokes inside your mouth and the other sucks up your saliva lol :)

• Like 1

Ok, here we go, First....

Anemone

Anemone.jpg

Sexies in the bag...

InBag.jpg

Sexy #1

Sexy1.jpg

Sexy #2

Sexy2.jpg

Sexy #3

Sexy3.jpg

Sorry for the pic quality, had to use my phone as my camera decided to die a while back lol.

• Like 1