ReefCleaners.org

C.A.D. 39 Gallon... Anyone have one yet?!?!

Gvtv44

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'm leaning more and more towards the finnex after seeing these pix....

Jeesh, Dont make that decision after looking at my photos. I am lucky I know how to turn the damn thing on!!! LOL!! :D

Seriously though what dont you like about the CAD?

thank you for the pics bud! i loved being able to see it.... they definatly did cut those slots to big lol... hopfully it might be fixed with the next wave of tanks.... otherwise i still think i will be getting it (i think i may go for the black stand tho lol)... cant wait to see what it looks liek with water/sand in it =) very nice bud quik question (To any of you guys who may know this)... will i have to look at getting powerheads? or will the flow be enough with what it has? thanks again for the pics!

Here's a link to my photobucket album.

Let me know if it works. Still dont have them all loaded.

Jason

Jason:

Thanks for posting the photos. You still have some duplicates posted.

It looks like the only "damage" you incurred was some of the black "sticky" peeled off. Is that correct?

Jason:

Thanks for posting the photos. You still have some duplicates posted.

It looks like the only "damage" you incurred was some of the black "sticky" peeled off. Is that correct?

Nope. Peeling that off myself. Going to put a full sheet on. There is going to be a fuge light on the back glass instead of on top. So all that will be cut out in the rear is where the is.

thank you for the pics bud! i loved being able to see it.... they definatly did cut those slots to big lol... hopfully it might be fixed with the next wave of tanks.... otherwise i still think i will be getting it (i think i may go for the black stand tho lol)... cant wait to see what it looks liek with water/sand in it =) very nice bud quik question (To any of you guys who may know this)... will i have to look at getting powerheads? or will the flow be enough with what it has? thanks again for the pics!

Hey,

You will want at least one power head. Depending on what you plan on keeping maybe 2. This will help break up the monotonous flow form the single output. May want to consider putting a hydor flo on the stock return. It will cut down on the advertised 500 GPH flow but will help to give a more random flow.

Just my thougts.

Jason

There is going to be a fuge light on the back glass instead of on top. So all that will be cut out in the rear is where the is.

Why shine the light through the back instead of from the top?

fastandsneaky
i dont know see why this tank cost 730 bucks.

It really isn't a bad price. A nanocube 28 HQI is 499.99, RSM is around 600. So for a 39 gallon AIO, its pretty good price because setting up a 40g breeder would be pretty hard to set up under that. I think anyways. Btw even though I've probably been through the most troubles with them, I'm still excited for it.

Curved glass, that thick costs money. Labor to assemble (pretty sure it was made in USA: NY) costs monies and, look all that it comes with. This and the finnex are in a class above all others- only real difference is looks IMO... I like C.A.D. ;):)B)

Why shine the light through the back instead of from the top?

Just personal preference. Didnt like the looks of the light sitting on top. No real reason.

supreme_spork
Just personal preference. Didnt like the looks of the light sitting on top. No real reason.

It's also more effective to shine a light through the back -- it exposes more surface area of the 'fuge to the light source.

burtbollinger

I'm just very concerned about build quality, I guess when I saw that peeling back it turned me off....but as you did it yourself....my bad...no biggie. Those giant slots also look very DIY...I don't know...

I have a few more weeks to decide finnex or cadlights, I'm just going to stay tuned to this thread and wait for more reviews to come in...

I know its silly, but I'm just really stressing over this finnex vs. cadlights thing...I dont want to make a decision I'll later regret.

thanks for posting your pix.

I'm just very concerned about build quality, I guess when I saw that peeling back it turned me off....but as you did it yourself....my bad...no biggie. Those giant slots also look very DIY...I don't know...

I have a few more weeks to decide finnex or cadlights, I'm just going to stay tuned to this thread and wait for more reviews to come in...

I know its silly, but I'm just really stressing over this finnex vs. cadlights thing...I dont want to make a decision I'll later regret.

thanks for posting your pix.

I had the finnex until I saw the CAD. Once I saw the CAD I just loved clean looks of it. The finnex was a nice tank.

I have sent an email with my thoughts on the tank, light, stand etc. with some thoughts on some improvements that could be made. Number one on the list was the overflow slots. Im not sure why there cut that deep. But I am sure this will be fixed on the next batch. Other than that the quality of the tank is top notch. All the seems are done very smooth and neat. I cant comment on all the accessories such as the skimmer, fuge light, uv sterilizer as I did not order them. But the tank, light and stand are very good quality. The light is a huge improvement over the old light. My old light was a joke. The ballast came not bolted into the housing. It was just floating around in there. The supply wire to the halide had chaffed through on the reflector. The moon light worked when they wanted to at first and then quit all together. The new light is well put together. It is a little on the heavy side due to all components being internal but that is minor. The other issues some may have are those that I described in the previous write up. If you are running a controller such as the Reef Keeper you are all set. Other wise you will have to unplug the moon lights from the power socket to shut them off and the halide plug also controls the fan. So when plugged into the socket if not on a time the fan will always be on.

IMO you will be alot happier with the CAD than the finnex. Again I had the finnex and it was a nice tank but looks wise the CAD is much nicer.

Just my thougts.

PM me if you have any other questions, need more detailed pics etc.

Jason B)

burtbollinger

thanks for the write up....look forward to more from you as you move forward with the tank...please keep updating this thread.

will those overflow slots alter the funcionality of the tank in an adverse way?

thanks for the write up....look forward to more from you as you move forward with the tank...please keep updating this thread.

will those overflow slots alter the funcionality of the tank in an adverse way?

The slots being cut so deep would have kept the water level too low. On mine Eddie made a quick patch with some plastic. So this will bring the water level up and all will be well. If you look at the pics in my photobucket album you can see the backside of the slots with the clear plastic glued in place. Maybe not the greatest looking job but will function just fine.

Hope to be putting the water in this one next weekend.

Well....I got mine yesterday finely! 10 days in shipping, DHL lost it once. And they broke it! Tank arrived cracked on the corner overflow. DHL also managed to smash in the side of the light where all the switches and fan is. What a joke! Cad also accidently sent me another light instead of a stand. So, the second light arrived in good shape. So, now all I need is the glass tank and a stand. Eddie has agreed to split second day shipping with me so.....I should have the new tank and stand by Thursday!!! What a guy!

One thing about Eddie, I have called the number off the cadlights site sooooooooo many times, not ONCE has Eddie not picked up. THAT is pretty remarkable in my opinion. Also remakable, he hasnt said, "Would you quit callin' me every 10 freakin' minutes!!!!!!". :P

Also must say that the skimmer on this sig tank appears to be pretty decent. It looks a TON more better than I would have ever thought. It looks very stout and is an AWESOME design. Havent seen it perform yet but, I have no doubts about it. Also the lighting fixture is top notch. Mine firest right up and looks VERY cool. The tank itself is VERY nice looking. Great silicon job and the acrylic back wall looks good. The pumps seem very good also.

All in all, a very very cool tank. Cant wait to get it set up. Will have pics to follow of componets and such after new tank and stand arrive.

Dennis

fastandsneaky

Gratz on the arrival, but sorry on the condition. But yea, that's out of Cadlights control. I think you and me where the only ones who hadn't got their shipments. But, I switched to the pro series so hopefully ill be happy with the last minute change. I'm hoping my tank comes tomorrow but when I called DHL they said because of the size it might be delayed.

Well....I got mine yesterday finely! 10 days in shipping, DHL lost it once. And they broke it! Tank arrived cracked on the corner overflow. DHL also managed to smash in the side of the light where all the switches and fan is.

Dennis

How far was your unit being shipped, and what was the quoted delivery time? I am hoping my unit has either been shipped or is about to.

fastandsneaky

Well for me, I live in Illinois, and it was sent out on a Thurs and received the tracking number that night and I was suppose to receive it on Monday but they lost. When I talked to Eddie somone else and me were the only ones who had problems. You should call Eddie to see if he sent it out or call DHL and get a tracking number.

You should call Eddie to see if he sent it out or call DHL and get a tracking number.

Did Eddie automatically send you a tracking number when it went out the door?

fastandsneaky

He said that as soon as it is scanned itd be sent, but the first time I had to call him to remind and yesterday he said he'd send it but I had to call DHL. If you call them 1. 1800-CALL-DHL 2. Say "Representative" 3. Then say "No" 3 times 4. You'll be connectd and you can just give them your name and the CAD zip code (11234) and your own zip. I called DHL so many times I dont even listened to the automation anymore hehe

My tank shipped out on 2/8. It arrived to me on monday 2/18. DHL lost it and couldnt find it for about 3 days. When it arrived, the tank was cracked. Cad also sent me two light fixtures instead of one light fixture and one stand. So, I worked out a deal with Eddie to send me a tank and stand second day. Should get it tommorrow.

Kinda funny story. Eddie said he would send me the tracking numbers for the new tank being shipped second day. Never received them. Called Eddie last night, 9PM New York time. He says ya, I didnt send you the tracking numbers, what's your email? I gave him my email. He said, "I'll send the numbers right now.". I said ok, thanks. Guess what.......never received the tracking numbers. Hmmmmmm.... So, I called DHL myself. DHL confirmed that the items were shipped out and that they were comming second day and I should have them Thursday. We'll see.

To answer the above question, I live in Oregon. The tanks ship out of the Bronx, New York. DHL estimated transit time is 5 days. But, since the package is so heavy (which I can vouch for....it is EXTREMELY heavy) it can add additionl days in transit. Just the glass tank alone ways 90lbs. Heavy duty!

Dennis

supreme_spork
Kinda funny story. Eddie said he would send me the tracking numbers for the new tank being shipped second day. Never received them. Called Eddie last night, 9PM New York time. He says ya, I didnt send you the tracking numbers, what's your email? I gave him my email. He said, "I'll send the numbers right now.". I said ok, thanks. Guess what.......never received the tracking numbers. Hmmmmmm.... So, I called DHL myself. DHL confirmed that the items were shipped out and that they were comming second day and I should have them Thursday. We'll see.

Where funny = unacceptable from anyone else -- I don't know why you guys let Eddie get away with so much. He might be a helluva guy, but honestly...

And why the heck are they still using DHL with the history of delivery problems they've had?

::shakes head::

Archived