Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

C.A.D. 39 Gallon... Anyone have one yet?!?!

Gvtv44

supreme_spork
I left the lights on for a good 15 mins and the MH never turned on. From what Eddie told me the the ballasts are electronic so doesnt that mean that the lights should go on right away? There was no documentation with anything other than a tiny paper that came in one of the boxes and that was i think in chinese. Have not run the tank with water yet. Havnt had time and i'm not done getting everything i need yet(RO/DI unit, live rock, etc.) They changed the look of the glass cover aswell. Now its just 2 flat pieces of glass with rounded frot piece, with no handle to lift it. You pretty much have to push the glass back then get your fingers into the space in the front of the tank and lift the cover up. Again as i said earlier, the cover on the tank in the store fit nicely where mine leaves atleast 1 to 1.5 inches of space between the rim and the tank walls all around. Thats why i'm guessing I was given the wrong cover, maybe the cover for the 22g tank?? As far as the pump not fitting snuggly into the inlet of the skimmer i was planning on using plumbing tape on that anyway but with out any the pump eventually falls out, and that without the pump even being on. I was fully aware that this being a new model there would be issues but i expected them to be with the tank that they build and not the components that they buy from a supplier. But like i said in my other reply the day i picked the tank Eddie told me any problems with anything just come back and he'll take care of me.

For historical reference, these are some of the known issues from the previous model that CAD said would be addressed in the new model (e.g., component quality and fit-and-finish)...

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all I can say is interesting....will be ordering a 39 sig series some time this year...hopefully things get resolved...but I've dealt with Eddie and he seems like he'll bend over backwards to fix what's wrong.

but I've dealt with Eddie and he seems like he'll bend over backwards to fix what's wrong.

I have heard Eddie will do whatever it takes to make it right after you already have the damn tank. I think they could do more before it leaves the shop. Such as plugging in the lights and testing them, checking all the equipment to make sure everything fits right and is in perfect shape and even filling the tanks with freshwater to make sure nothing leaks and the drying them would be a nice thing to do. Then Eddie wouldn't have to be such a nice guy after things are shipped because everything would be right everytime. These aren't Tom deco tanks, they are $700 tanks. Nanonamor spoke of the top not fitting. I am just scratching my head wondering how something like that wasn't noticed at the shop. Hopefully every1 else is 100% satisfied.

X3, i was actually gonna use pvc glue to glue back the wall on the bottom of the skimmer that acts as a leg for the skimmer to stand on but then i'd have to sand the old glue off first so the pvc glue sticks to the plastic and decided im just gonna return it and get a new one. i shouldnt have to go through all that with something brand new and out of the box not even 30 seconds before things fall off lol As far as pump fitting snug...just gonna use plumbing tape anyway to seal it a bit and make sure it is in snug so i dont loose any pressure into the skimmer.

Oscar, planning on driving out there saturday so will keep all informed.

Just an FYI. Some of you may want to do a mod to the tank right off the bat to get the water level higher in the display area because the over flow teeth were cut too long and the there was atleast 2 inches between the rim of the tank and the water line. All depends on how high you like the water level in your display.

to be honest I'm totally with you Scarfish. Plus these tanks have been in "production since at least Dec. if not longer.)

is the skimmer made of acrylic? if so it should be kinda strong even with the acrylic solvent joint. did you hit it on anything or squeezed it real tight? i looked at the skimmer when i ordered the tank a month ago and it looked pretty decent in quality. i mean it isnt like my PM bullet 3 (with 1/4" thickness all around) but it does feel like real acrylic unlike their old skimmer that they showed me which was softer plastic.

i am picking it up on Thursday and i PROMISE i would post up pics lol.

Where are the pics of the 39g signature and pro tanks???? i want pictures. Eddie said he was shipping mine last Friday, then Monday, and now Tuesday... he said he needed a new drill bid to drill the sump holes in the cabinet. said the cabinet was solid wood 9gotta see to believe this) and that it was 2 inches thick.

fastandsneaky

Thanks to the great Chicago weather, the tanks delayed but got the stand. I got it setup and all but I was disappointed right from the get go. Some pieces and huge scratches that are very noticable and there were dents in some of the pieces. Does anyone think I can fix it with some wood stain? But I guess its better than the ikea wood stand but I dont think its worth the extra 60 bucks.

so far I have to say it.. I am glad I went with Solana 34G.. I was so close to send my money and buy CAD but I was thinking I will hold ... well I couldn't wait longer and decided to go with Solana.. and I AM LOVIN IT !!! Paid for just the tank $275 in LFS.. it was a great price.. everything is made nice and without any problems.. I am kinda "mad/upset" that so many of U spend money for CAD.. a lot of money and still have so many problems with it just at the beginning.. sad..

254030867_jzoTK-L.jpg

The inside of the cherry stand. Have a pic of the black one too but it is identical to the 34 G stand only its a bit bigger for the 39.

How did you get photos of the stand when it does not seem to be posted on the Cad website?

Thanks to the great Chicago weather, the tanks delayed but got the stand. I got it setup and all but I was disappointed right from the get go. Some pieces and huge scratches that are very noticable and there were dents in some of the pieces. Does anyone think I can fix it with some wood stain? But I guess its better than the ikea wood stand but I dont think its worth the extra 60 bucks.

Wood putty and stain should take care of things. Did you get the Cherry one or the black one? Also is that damn center baffle in there on yours? And if so is it removable? I ask because I am ordering the 39G Pro and stand and if that damn thing is in there it will be a no go on the stand.

TIA

UH

Ken at Ocean Reeflections sent them to me. I dont have the cherry stand nor did I order it. I went with the black one again myself. Not sure if Ken put them up yet on his website. He got them last night and sent them to me. Im not sure about the center brace. Sounds like fastandsneaky has the cherry stand. He should be able to answer about the center brace.

fastandsneaky
Wood putty and stain should take care of things. Did you get the Cherry one or the black one? Also is that damn center baffle in there on yours? And if so is it removable? I ask because I am ordering the 39G Pro and stand and if that damn thing is in there it will be a no go on the stand.

TIA

UH

Sorry to disappoint but the center piece has to be there because the shelves are two different pieces. I got the Cherry stand. There are predrilled holes in it but I ordered the Sig so I dont mind the center piece, but I'm not exactly sure if the sump is going to fit in there with it.

Sry to do back-to-back posts but people don't need to complain about how cheap the products are or what not. The way I look at it is that for 700 bucks, its a pretty good deal. Seeing as that if you really do want top of line products, you wouldn't buy an AIO tank, and buy all the parts separately. But I'm a noob so... :P

Sorry to disappoint but the center piece has to be there because the shelves are two different pieces. I got the Cherry stand. There are predrilled holes in it but I ordered the Sig so I dont mind the center piece, but I'm not exactly sure if the sump is going to fit in there with it.

Sry to do back-to-back posts but people don't need to complain about how cheap the products are or what not. The way I look at it is that for 700 bucks, its a pretty good deal. Seeing as that if you really do want top of line products, you wouldn't buy an AIO tank, and buy all the parts separately. But I'm a noob so... :P

No worries mate! I did allot of research on the 34G and the Finnex as well as doing a custom tank before I decided on the 39G Pro so I am not dissing the tank. I have already ordered the stand and 39G Pro and it should ship this Friday if all goes well. The only issue I have now is if the stand (I got the black one) has that center piece I am screwed in terms of a sump and will have to pass on it. Sigh.

Thanks for the info!

UH

fastandsneaky
No worries mate! I did allot of research on the 34G and the Finnex as well as doing a custom tank before I decided on the 39G Pro so I am not dissing the tank. I have already ordered the stand and 39G Pro and it should ship this Friday if all goes well. The only issue I have now is if the stand (I got the black one) has that center piece I am screwed in terms of a sump and will have to pass on it. Sigh.

Thanks for the info!

UH

hehe...I was just wondering, did you get the Pro with all the accessories or did you just buy the tank, sump and stand? I sort of tempted to return the Sig, but I'm not sure of the costs it will run me and would it be worth it IYO. And would you need an actually chiller or would you attach the fan to the sump?

hehe...I was just wondering, did you get the Pro with all the accessories or did you just buy the tank, sump and stand? I sort of tempted to return the Sig, but I'm not sure of the costs it will run me and would it be worth it IYO. And would you need an actually chiller or would you attach the fan to the sump?

First let me say that Eddie has been absolutely fantastic in his support and on top of the tanks being overall pretty damn good that was a major deciding factor for me.

As to what you should do, my answer is that it depends on what you want to do in terms of the tank, what room you have for it, how much flexibility you want in terms of build out, and what your budget is. For me the 39G Sig didn't work because after you take away the 5 gallons for the HOB sump its down to 34 gallons, I didn't have room to work on the HOB where the tank will go, and I wanted the flexibility to design things the way I wanted and to go with the parts I wanted. It will be about $400-$600 more than the price of a Sig but worth it to me in order to get what I want.

I will be going with the CAD fan as I will have a controller to monitor tank temp and do things like turn on the fan and shut off the MH lights followed by PC lights if things get too hot so I don't think I will need a chiller.

I have ordered just the Pro and the stand at this point and I changed my mind on the lights based on what I saw here and may be changing my mind on the stand depending on the shelf situation.

I am doing this in phases as I can't afford to do it all at once.

I will be going with:

39G Pro tank $310

Stand $130

Mag 5 for return pump $60

Tunze 9002 or 9005 skimmer for in sump $152/$285

Custom designed sump (I can't quote price here at request of supplier but *ALLOT* less than the stuff you see out there now commercially)

Current 24" Outer Orbit 150w HQI MH, 65W PC HO, LED moonlights $340

Tunze 6025 for in tank flow backup powerhead in case of drain clog or power outage $70

UPS for Tunze 6025 and heater (free)

Aqua-Silencer Standpipe $20

Tank fan $30

Some form of controller either DA RKE or ACIII $600

20 lbs live rock $90

20 lbs live sand $20

Misc plumbing $30

Shipping $300

Total cost: $2,150-$2,300(rounded) plus sump

Now if you pull the controller and all of the live rock and live sand out out of the mix that price goes down to $1,300-$1,500(rounded) plus sump which is about $400-$600 over what you are going to pay for the AIO 39G Sig. But again I am going with what I want to have across the board including a great tank and to me that is worth the money. They also have a very good sump for a good price but again I wanted to customize mine so I am paying extra for that.

OK, got some word from Eddie on the stands. According to him, bear with me, as I had a lot going on around me trying to hear him over the phone, anyway, the stand- if you ordered the PRo is either already altered to accept a sump, or that brace in the center is not necessary(load bearing). Also, they have pre drilled out the 2 holes on the top of the stand for the Pro model for the plumbing. It sounds like they are being shipped today- fingers crossed.

Urchinhead, you mentioned some bulkheads/cap to plug the holes. Here's what I think I want to do for now, what do you think- I will cap off these 2 holes, until I gain enough sump knowledge, then find the perfect sump setup when the time is right. Seeing it's an overflow, when it comes time for a sump, I won't have to empty the tank, just have the water below the overflow level to uncap the holes and connect a sump. Now, because I don't know a thing about the bulkhead/cap, can you link me to a place with the sizes/parts I need? You mentioned on pg 3 that I would need a 1" and a 3/4". I talked to Eddie and he said, whatever this means,- 1" Drain, and 1/2" return. Did you make a mistake on the 3/4"? Thanks for your help.

Urchinhead, you mentioned some bulkheads/cap to plug the holes. Here's what I think I want to do for now, what do you think- I will cap off these 2 holes, until I gain enough sump knowledge, then find the perfect sump setup when the time is right. Seeing it's an overflow, when it comes time for a sump, I won't have to empty the tank, just have the water below the overflow level to uncap the holes and connect a sump. Now, because I don't know a thing about the bulkhead/cap, can you link me to a place with the sizes/parts I need? You mentioned on pg 3 that I would need a 1" and a 3/4". I talked to Eddie and he said, whatever this means,- 1" Drain, and 1/2" return. Did you make a mistake on the 3/4"? Thanks for your help.

Ace-

The only problem I see is that in order to plug those holes you will need a bulkhead which will extend beneath the bottom of the tank so you need to make sure you will have a way to handle that either with a stand hole or something else. Try MarineDepot.com and look under plumbing and then bulkheads for reference. They come with the tank btw. Just make sure to go with the option you want in terms of plumbing as it comes with slip fittings and you have to ask for threaded. I am going with threaded for ease of use.

I would still make use of the overflow box if you can as it is a good place to put things like a skimmer and pumps without having them in the main display.

Nope, you are right it is 1/2" not 3/4" I somehow got 3/4" stuck in my head. I don't know why.

Archived