Cultivated Reef

C.A.D. 39 Gallon... Anyone have one yet?!?!

Gvtv44

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received my stand from CAD Lights (DHL lost the first one)..

Check these pictures out, DHL damaged the box so badly that they had to make new corners for it and put banding around it to hold it together.

We'll see what kind of shape the stand is actually in..

post-27992-1204169395_thumb.jpg

post-27992-1204169386_thumb.jpg

post-27992-1204169403_thumb.jpg

Den,

Thanks for the reply. I agree the skimmer sounds superior to the finnex. I KNOW DHL, unless you're shipping large packages overseas is about the worst going. Any help on getting a clear picture or diagram of the back set up. I freely admit, I'd rather have 39 gallons than 32. I'm also in complete lust with the cherry stand. Though I currently only have FW, as one of my roomies says, "Each tank is a work of art and you don't want to detract from it." He was speaking in reference to not hanging a pc over one of my 55's. But total appearance of a set up is important.

However, if I'm going to drop 2K on a project, I want to make the most informed choice I can.

Thanks again man.

Rav

Rav-

If you are going to drop 2k then go with the Pro series. In the end you will be allot happier. You get more tank display space, A bigger sump/fuge if you so choose, and you can still get the return pump and skimmer from CAD if you want or go with something else.

I am not thrilled with their sump design so I didn't opt for that.

I did receive my tank right on schedule from DHL without a scratch and it is undergoing water integrity test now in my garage.

it truly is a work of art even with the blemishes like the over deep cut teeth on the overflow box. Bang for the buck in terms of light, skimmer, et al is there.

UH

TriggerHappyDude

Urchinhead,

If I get the Pro, would you suggest me sticking with their pump and skimmer from CAD?

I'm pretty sure I want the the Pro Tank and stand, but from there I think I want to customize...

Just not sure what to customize. Sounds like most are happy with the skimmer. But the pump?

I got the stand put together and it was a LOT easier than I thought it would be. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was not a single scratch or ding on it, after seeing the condition of the box upon its arrival I was sure it would be beat to %#%@$@^.

The really cool part was they packed plenty of extra parts (screws and stuff) for guys like me that manage to loose one or two during putting it together.

So far the tank has shown up without any problems at all, all equipment was been perfect and worked right out of the box and the stand is beautiful and went together very easily.. just waiting on the new flooring to be installed before I fill it with SW and begin running it..

Cheers

Urchinhead,

If I get the Pro, would you suggest me sticking with their pump and skimmer from CAD?

I'm pretty sure I want the the Pro Tank and stand, but from there I think I want to customize...

Just not sure what to customize. Sounds like most are happy with the skimmer. But the pump?

Honestly I am not in a position to comment either way on their skimmers/pumps.

I am going with a Tuze 9005 for $250 in the sump as a skimmer and a Mag 7 for $70 for the return pump in the sump as well as a Tunze 6025 for in the tank. The reason being is these are known quantities to me and I know who manufactures them. I believe the stuff from CAD is made in China by an OEM for CAD.

What this means to me is that I know that there is a relative consistent QC standard for Tunze/Mag due to their size and units deployed and track record which makes me more comfortable than a just out of beta unit from CAD.

I got the stand put together and it was a LOT easier than I thought it would be. I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was not a single scratch or ding on it, after seeing the condition of the box upon its arrival I was sure it would be beat to %#%@$@^.

The really cool part was they packed plenty of extra parts (screws and stuff) for guys like me that manage to loose one or two during putting it together.

So far the tank has shown up without any problems at all, all equipment was been perfect and worked right out of the box and the stand is beautiful and went together very easily.. just waiting on the new flooring to be installed before I fill it with SW and begin running it..

Cheers

so are u guys happy with overall setup or not?

so far i love it! its gorgeous

ive been looking at the different aio setups and so far this one [cad 39 sig] has my attention. sum of the guys posting seem to have had some problems but it sounds as if customer service [eddy] is great. care to clue the new guy in. thanks so much

well i dealt with him for some questions i had about when i can pick up the tank. he is very responsive and took all the time he needed to make sure i knew what to do with setting up the tank. i also dealt with a guy named Joe, he works in the warehouse and helped me explain what each one of the components are and where it goes. all in all i got excellent service by all of them. they really take all the time you need with any questions you have before and after you purchase the tank. they also have a great coral selection in the retail store that you can pick up the tank from. i bought my new colt coral from them tonight.

like i said when i ordered the tank, i dont even get this kind of service at my BMW service dept after i got my car.

well i dealt with him for some questions i had about when i can pick up the tank. he is very responsive and took all the time he needed to make sure i knew what to do with setting up the tank. i also dealt with a guy named Joe, he works in the warehouse and helped me explain what each one of the components are and where it goes. all in all i got excellent service by all of them. they really take all the time you need with any questions you have before and after you purchase the tank. they also have a great coral selection in the retail store that you can pick up the tank from. i bought my new colt coral from them tonight.

like i said when i ordered the tank, i dont even get this kind of service at my BMW service dept after i got my car.

i really appreciate the info. from my understanding the lights can be hung. did yours come with necessary hardware to do so ?

I don't think they do, judging by other's responses, and lack of info on hanging on the CAD mfg site... I am sure it can be bought at your local hardware store though ;)

:welcome: !!! BTW :)

ive been looking at the different aio setups and so far this one [cad 39 sig] has my attention. sum of the guys posting seem to have had some problems but it sounds as if customer service [eddy] is great. care to clue the new guy in. thanks so much

Most of the problems that you have read about had nothing to do with CAD Lights, most of the problems came from DHL. I called Eddie a few times and I tell ya.. the guy is more helpful than any company I have worked with in the past..

I don't think they do, judging by other's responses, and lack of info on hanging on the CAD mfg site... I am sure it can be bought at your local hardware store though ;)

:welcome: !!! BTW :)

when i spoke with eddy he told me you could hang the lights, i just didnt know if he was telling me this to buy his new product. i am still very inerested in more about this product. not much info out there but a couple of sites. would like to get more opinions from you guys. thanks again

i really appreciate the info. from my understanding the lights can be hung. did yours come with necessary hardware to do so ?

Mine came with all the hard ware to either use it on the tank or to hang it from the ceiling..

Mine came with all the hard ware to either use it on the tank or to hang it from the ceiling..

really, thats a + for the cad ! i think it would look astonishing set up with the lighting hung from the ceiling.

very clean! Dmattlin, have you been happy with your purchase?

Hey Stoneman,

I would highly recommend one of the CAD tanks. I have 2 now and another one coming. I have one of the 34 gallons that they used to sell. I had it customized with holes for a closed loop as well as the drain and return for the sump drilled. The components such as the light and skimmer that came with the 34 gallon tank were not so good to put it nicely. But the tank itself was and is beautiful. The seamless and bowfront design is great. The silicone job on mine is perfect.

I also bought one of the new 39 signature series tanks. I have not put salt water in it yet but it is also a beautiful tank. Silicone job is done neatly. The new light is 100 times better than the light that came with my 34 gallon. I didnt get the skimmer cause I was a bit unsure of whether it would be a good buy or not. But after talking with another member of this forum Rehype who has a 34 gallon tank also and bought the new skimmer I feel that the skimmer would be and will be a good buy. I am going to order one for the 39 gallon tank.

I have the pro tank on order now.

I had a finnex tank prior to the 1st CAD tank I bought. It was a nice tank. But once I saw the CAD tank I had to have one. I like the looks of it alot. Like I said the seamless design and being rimless on top of that just looks good.

I also have a Red Sea Max 34 gallon tank which is now for sale so the 39 can go in its spot.

Buy one you wont regret it. As long as DHL gets it to you in one piece that is!!!

Jason

Ok...Finely got a tank delivered in one piece! Fed-X delivered my tank yesterday. I got it all set up and tranferred everything over. The tank is absolutly BEAUTIFUL!!!

I just snapped some quick picks. The room is dark and only the T-5 Actinics are on so.....not the greatest pics. Also took a pic of the hanging parts to suspend the light from the ceiling (which Im doing this weekend). I do have a couple issues but they IN NO WAY sway my opinion of this cool setup.

The skimmer looks really good and performed pretty good for me in my little rubbermaid tub. However....when I put it into the cadlights tank, the water level was a little higher which made the skimmer contantly overflow. The skimmer seems to be very dependant on the water level in the fuge. It also makes a lot of sucking air sound thru the air intake hose. I have ordered a new Remora skimmer and will be going with that now.

The T-5 bulbs are really nice. I've only had VHO actincis before but I must say, I like the T-5's MUCH better. Everything absolutly glows. I am not however thrilled about the 14K halide bulb. It appears more 10K'ish. Fine for SPS proably but my focus is on softys and LPS. I have ordered a replacement Radium 20K bulb for the fixture. Also, the hanging hardware included by Cad seems very nice. I will be using it to suspend the fixture this weekend. Should look really sharp.

The only other issue that I see is the surface skimmer teeth for the refugium. The water overflowing into the fuge is a bit noisy. I think getting the new skimmer and being able to raise the water level in the back area will pretty much eliminate this issue. I also had to build a little egg crate shelf to hold some blue filter material in the primary overflow compartment. If you're using the included bioballs, the blue filter material simply rests on top of them. Since Im not using the bioballs, I had to build something to quit the overflow and hold the prefilter material.

All in all, even after ALL Ive been thru trying for the past 3 weeks to get a non-broken tank delivered to me and all the calls to Eddie and so forth, I am VERY satisfied with this nano tank.

Dennis

DSC_0001_resize-1.jpg

DSC_0002_resize-1.jpg

DSC_0006_resize-1.jpg

DSC_0010_resize.jpg

DSC_0008_resize-1.jpg

Hey Stoneman,

I would highly recommend one of the CAD tanks. I have 2 now and another one coming. I have one of the 34 gallons that they used to sell. I had it customized with holes for a closed loop as well as the drain and return for the sump drilled. The components such as the light and skimmer that came with the 34 gallon tank were not so good to put it nicely. But the tank itself was and is beautiful. The seamless and bowfront design is great. The silicone job on mine is perfect.

I also bought one of the new 39 signature series tanks. I have not put salt water in it yet but it is also a beautiful tank. Silicone job is done neatly. The new light is 100 times better than the light that came with my 34 gallon. I didnt get the skimmer cause I was a bit unsure of whether it would be a good buy or not. But after talking with another member of this forum Rehype who has a 34 gallon tank also and bought the new skimmer I feel that the skimmer would be and will be a good buy. I am going to order one for the 39 gallon tank.

I have the pro tank on order now.

I had a finnex tank prior to the 1st CAD tank I bought. It was a nice tank. But once I saw the CAD tank I had to have one. I like the looks of it alot. Like I said the seamless design and being rimless on top of that just looks good.

I also have a Red Sea Max 34 gallon tank which is now for sale so the 39 can go in its spot.

Buy one you wont regret it. As long as DHL gets it to you in one piece that is!!!

Jason

do you know how long the suspension cables for the lighting system is?

thanks for your opion jay-sun.

stoneman

Thanks jay-sun. The cables are 41" long. Im not sure if they are going to be long enough for me but...we shall see.

Dennis

hey dennis,

if the suspension cables are 41in. and you have standard ceiling height [96in.] tank stand is 29.5in. tall, tank is 20in., that will leave you 5.5 in. of space from the top of the tank and this is not including light fixture height [ couldnt find size parameters for light ] That should leave you with plenty of space!

that is if your ceiling is 8ft.

stoneman

really, thats a + for the cad ! i think it would look astonishing set up with the lighting hung from the ceiling.

very clean! Dmattlin, have you been happy with your purchase?

Yes, verry happy...

I would recommend it to anyone..

Archived