SaltCritters.com

davidr2340's NC24 DX...

davidr2340

I have to go to Tacoma today anyway, and your pics made the decicion to make a slight detour!!! I'll probably just get some coral food there, some RO water, etc...OH Hell I'm in trouble! omgomgomg I 'm sure it will be difficult to hold back. I promise I'll bring my lobster bib so I don't make too much of a mess! :P

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey David,

How's your heat with the SunPod? Are you running a chiller?

I'm considering the Nova Extreme Pro over the SunPod for heat issues and because I'm not going to have SPS. I only have a couple LPS, mushrooms and xenia.

I ask about heat because I upgraded to the Maxi Jet 1200 and it puts out quite a bit more heat then the JBJ pump. I went from 76-78 with all factory to 80-82.xF with a MJ1200 w/hydor flo and Koralia Nano.

I left the feedling lid in the front cracked open about a 1/2" last night and got the main tank down to 79.0 and at the back at the pump is 79.7F. I'll see what it heats up to today with the lid cracked open. I have my stock lights on from 12:15PM - 8:15PM.

Again your advice is most welcome.

Hey David,

How's your heat with the SunPod? Are you running a chiller?

I'm considering the Nova Extreme Pro over the SunPod for heat issues and because I'm not going to have SPS. I only have a couple LPS, mushrooms and xenia.

I ask about heat because I upgraded to the Maxi Jet 1200 and it puts out quite a bit more heat then the JBJ pump. I went from 76-78 with all factory to 80-82.xF with a MJ1200 w/hydor flo and Koralia Nano.

I left the feedling lid in the front cracked open about a 1/2" last night and got the main tank down to 79.0 and at the back at the pump is 79.7F. I'll see what it heats up to today with the lid cracked open. I have my stock lights on from 12:15PM - 8:15PM.

Again your advice is most welcome.

Hey,

I have zero issues with the Sunpod (except for summer when the house gets HOT!). Tank stays between 78.5 - 80.5 day or night right now. It is much more stable since I added my fuge light on the back.

I run the MH for 11hrs a day as well...

I would love to have a chiller just for the peice of mind... But funds just don't allow that! -_-

Keep me posted!

Wow.... What a pleasure it was to read thru your thread. I just started My JBJ 24 Nano Cube. I am a total noob. I am curing my LR now and how my Live sand in there. Same as yours. My tank is stock.. What I got in the box.

did you take out the bio balls? Also any other modifications you recommend? Also what is that basket you have on the side of the tank? Sorry again I am a noob. My tank has been running for a week and my PH is low. Any direction would be great.

Again Your tank is awesome. I only hope my comes out as well.

Wow.... What a pleasure it was to read thru your thread. I just started My JBJ 24 Nano Cube. I am a total noob. I am curing my LR now and how my Live sand in there. Same as yours. My tank is stock.. What I got in the box.

did you take out the bio balls? Also any other modifications you recommend? Also what is that basket you have on the side of the tank? Sorry again I am a noob. My tank has been running for a week and my PH is low. Any direction would be great.

Again Your tank is awesome. I only hope my comes out as well.

Hey there! Thanks for the compliments, it always means a lot too me!!! -_-

Congrats on the new tank!

Yes, I took out the bio balls from day one!

The first mod I would recommend would be to switch out the stock return pump, and replace it with an MJ1200. I did this when I set the tank up, and I'm still happy I did!

The basket I had on the side was for Chaeto... I have since moved this to the back middle chamber.

Feel free to ask away!

11 hours.... dang that seems like 2-3 times to long from what I understand. Do you do this because you have no other bulbs to run? Make's me thinking running my stock setup for 8 hours isn't to long now.

Also, after the light cycle today the main tank was 80.6 and the rear at the pump was 81.1F.

net change for the main is 1.6F and the rear at the pump is 1.4F

Not to bad with the lid propped up. So I might just look at venting the front lid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11 hours.... dang that seems like 2-3 times to long from what I understand. Do you do this because you have no other bulbs to run? Make's me thinking running my stock setup for 8 hours isn't to long now.

Also, after the light cycle today the main tank was 80.6 and the rear at the pump was 81.1F.

net change for the main is 1.6F and the rear at the pump is 1.4F

Not to bad with the lid propped up. So I might just look at venting the front lid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There are quite a few folks that run their MH that long... It might be a bit long, but everyone in my tank seems to like it, and I don't have an algae problem.

I don't think those temp swings are that big at all! Mine used to fluctuate about 3-4 degrees before I added my fuge light, and I saw no ill effects.

I noticed my temps went up a little more after the lights turned off, well because the fans do too.

I disconnected the fans from the balast this morning. I went to use the variable transformer I got from nanotuners for the led moonlight fix. I stopped using it since I started using the fish bowl inovations moon light with lunar cycle(i really like these!). Since I don't use it, and when I hooked it up to the fans it popped. No more variable transformer! Anyways I tried using that because I have the fish bowl inovations led with lunar cycle and didn't need the JBJ LED's. Lucky for me I don't throw to much out in the way of old electronics. I got one of my transformers that was rated at 12V 1.1A for the fans. The fans only draw 110mA. I hooked those up and wouldn't you know they actually spin up faster then from the JBJ balast and transformer. I'm very pleased to say the least. So now I need to get an additional timer to program the fans so they stay on longer then the lights to cool down the hood after the lights turn off. I think 20-30 minutes should be plenty.

I appreciate your help David, please let me know if I'm hijacking your thread. I'll try to keep my questions to a minimum.

I noticed my temps went up a little more after the lights turned off, well because the fans do too.

I disconnected the fans from the balast this morning. I went to use the variable transformer I got from nanotuners for the led moonlight fix. I stopped using it since I started using the fish bowl inovations moon light with lunar cycle(i really like these!). Since I don't use it, and when I hooked it up to the fans it popped. No more variable transformer! Anyways I tried using that because I have the fish bowl inovations led with lunar cycle and didn't need the JBJ LED's. Lucky for me I don't throw to much out in the way of old electronics. I got one of my transformers that was rated at 12V 1.1A for the fans. The fans only draw 110mA. I hooked those up and wouldn't you know they actually spin up faster then from the JBJ balast and transformer. I'm very pleased to say the least. So now I need to get an additional timer to program the fans so they stay on longer then the lights to cool down the hood after the lights turn off. I think 20-30 minutes should be plenty.

I appreciate your help David, please let me know if I'm hijacking your thread. I'll try to keep my questions to a minimum.

Right on bro!

Ask away... Don't worry about hijacking my thread... It get pretty borning in here most of the time!!! :happy:

On a side note...

I PICK UP MY NEW (USED) TANK TOMORROW!!! The 24 gallon NCdx will be sold after I set up the new tank! It's going to be kind of sad to see 'er go... Oh hell, who am I kidding??? :happydance:

And... I just found out the family got me an MP20 for my birthday coming up in March!!! :happydance:

Get a yellow tang to eat it all up. When I had my 125 gallon I couldn't keep caulurpa or any other plant as it would devour everything.

I don't want to put a tang in that small of a tank... even for just a short time.

I had caulurpa spread in my 24 already. I picked it all out by hand as close to the rock as I could get it. I haven't seen any signs of growth and its been more then a week. Stick with chaeto, it won't get all screwey like caulurpa can.

I had caulurpa spread in my 24 already. I picked it all out by hand as close to the rock as I could get it. I haven't seen any signs of growth and its been more then a week. Stick with chaeto, it won't get all screwey like caulurpa can.

Well... My Caulerpa came in on a frag, and spread very fast. I have been plucking it every water change for the past 5 months or so... I'm loosing the battle, and I'm sick and tired of weeding!!! omgomgomg

Well... My Caulerpa came in on a frag, and spread very fast. I have been plucking it every water change for the past 5 months or so... I'm loosing the battle, and I'm sick and tired of weeding!!! omgomgomg

It likes your metal halide. More light and it grows like crazy. You don't want a tang, how about a fox face? Try turning your light cycle down for a bit while you find something to eat it.

Sweet! Only $300 + extras....damn I should have jumped on it. Oh well, didn't have the $$$ at the time anyway. Congrats on a killer deal! B):happy:

That rock is very tempting, I like the fact it has cool sculpture, no pests, and cheap. Do you know anyone on this forum that has this rock or similar and shown it's growth progression?

'Grats on the new tank bro!

I feel ya on the caulerpa problem. I fought it in my cube for a long time, finally got it under control only to have red bubble take over :angry: I decided to go with dry rock in my new tank and just supplement with several "clean" pieces from the cube and recently broken down prop tank.

I know these things often ride in on frags etc, but I figured may as well start fresh and give myself a chance at least.

I went with eco rock from BRS during the recent group buy as I needed other things from them.

Reefcleaners rock looks awesome as well, and you know you can not go wrong buying from John IME.

Good luck with the new tank David, looking forward to watching it come together. :)

Sweet! Only $300 + extras....damn I should have jumped on it. Oh well, didn't have the $$$ at the time anyway. Congrats on a killer deal! B):happy:

That rock is very tempting, I like the fact it has cool sculpture, no pests, and cheap. Do you know anyone on this forum that has this rock or similar and shown it's growth progression?

It was a sweet deal IMO!

I'm looking forward to trying the dry rock as well! I think there have been a few people here that have used it...

'Grats on the new tank bro!

I feel ya on the caulerpa problem. I fought it in my cube for a long time, finally got it under control only to have red bubble take over :angry: I decided to go with dry rock in my new tank and just supplement with several "clean" pieces from the cube and recently broken down prop tank.

I know these things often ride in on frags etc, but I figured may as well start fresh and give myself a chance at least.

I went with eco rock from BRS during the recent group buy as I needed other things from them.

Reefcleaners rock looks awesome as well, and you know you can not go wrong buying from John IME.

Good luck with the new tank David, looking forward to watching it come together. :)

Thanks bruddah!!! :happydance:

DAMN IT!!! I didn't even think about BRS!!! I did the GB as well!!! :angry: Oh well... gives a chance to support John!

Extras...

2-8-09001.jpg

Oh hai new solana...

2-8-09002.jpg

Well, This ORA Birdsnest colony went from this...

2-1-9011.jpg

to this on accident this morning!!! :mellow: Excuse the frag rack I built this morning. As you can tell, I won't be going into the rack making business anytime soon!!! omgomgomg

2-8-09013.jpg

Emerald...

2-8-09006.jpg

Random...

2-8-09012.jpg

New Duncans, three angry heads!!!

2-8-09014.jpg

2-8-09016.jpg

2-8-09019.jpg

Everyone is still a little angry, as I had just finished my Sunday water change!!!

The Emperor meets the Emperess! Very nice side by side comparison shots! Now you have to get used to running around that corner a bit wider to get to the bathroom! :haha:

The Emperor meets the Emperess! Very nice side by side comparison shots! Now you have to get used to running around that corner a bit wider to get to the bathroom! :haha:

:lol:

I think it's going to be in a different spot than the old tank. I want it where the old one is, but I have to set up the new and cycle it before I can take the old one down... :angry:

:lol:

I think it's going to be in a different spot than the old tank. I want it where the old one is, but I have to set up the new and cycle it before I can take the old one down... :angry:

Have a couple friends come over and lift the old one out of the way for you.

Archived