Coral Vue Hydros

davidr2340's NC24 DX...

davidr2340

Nick's Reef
I'm curious about something.

Other than the fact that it's a cool thing to be able to do, what is the real point of the Night Mode on the Vortech?

I've never heard of slower flow at night being of benefit to reef tanks.

Mebbe I needs more edumacation. :wacko:

me 2 weetie

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NanoReefNovice

I heard about it, most controllers have the option. I guess the idea is that is gives the inhabitants and calmer time to sleep?

I heard about it, most controllers have the option. I guess the idea is that is gives the inhabitants and calmer time to sleep?

Yeah, I get that, but do currents in the Ocean slow down at night to give Reef Inhabitants a Nighttime Rest Period? :huh:

I'm closely watching to see how that dry box works for you. I'd love to get my Vortech off the side. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks!!! I will keep you posted for sure!!! Thanks for stopping in!!!

David, finally I'm able to upgrade, it's a 40 breeder. I have a link in my sig. Don't have tank yet but will next week at this time! :) Oh ur tank looks good as well!

Nick bro... That's awesome!!! I sooo want a 40 br! I can't wait to see what you do to it!

I'm curious about something.

Other than the fact that it's a cool thing to be able to do, what is the real point of the Night Mode on the Vortech?

I've never heard of slower flow at night being of benefit to reef tanks.

Mebbe I needs more edumacation. :wacko:

Coolness factor does it for me! I'm a fairly simple creature!!!

I've heard of no benefit...

Maybe because in a natural enviroment the fish have more placed to hide and relax from predators at night. So a calmer flow in our tanks is less stressfull and/or makes it easier for them to take a rest.

Just a thought....

Maybe because in a natural enviroment the fish have more placed to hide and relax from predators at night. So a calmer flow in our tanks is less stressfull and/or makes it easier for them to take a rest.

Just a thought....

That's a damn good thought too!!!

NanoReefNovice

Just a thought....

+1, i was thinking that in a natural environment is more diverse w/ calmer and more turbulent places in which fish can choose to eat and sleep. Im just rationalizing though, have not read any literature that proves this.

I just realized I said, "placed", when I meant places. Man I hate posting when I'm tired.

But my reasoning gives a nice warm fuzzy feeling. LOL

Needreefunds
Yeah, I get that, but do currents in the Ocean slow down at night to give Reef Inhabitants a Nighttime Rest Period? :huh:

Doesn't it though? :huh:

I mean thinking back to when I had a boat, on a typical day wave action seems more gentle after sundown.

You would be out there getting pounded all day with whitecaps and chop but when we did stay out until sundown the return trip always seemed to be more calm, less wind and wave. Again, on an average day with no "weather".

Perhaps they are simply trying to replicate nature.

I could be talking out my butt here once again, but that's what came to mind when I saw your question Weets.

:happy:

Looking forward to others thoughts

And I think this tank is gonna be cool David. B)

Plus low and high tides. At low tides in pooled on the other side of natural wave breaks there are areas of calmer action.

I should have my Vortech MP20 by Monday or Tuesday. Woohoo!

Plus low and high tides. At low tides in pooled on the other side of natural wave breaks there are areas of calmer action.

I should have my Vortech MP20 by Monday or Tuesday. Woohoo!

:happydance:

This is one cool nano in the making. It looks so artistic to me. Is a piece of art. From the tank, scaping, lights everything! :happy:

It will look even more gorgeous when all your frags have grown bigger.

Congrats David. You have a beautiful tank!

Just a thought....

Not a bad thought.

I'm curious how it affects the corals though.

But guess what, I now get to find out in person!

Got my very own Vortech MP20 in today and it is set in Night Mode at this very moment! :lol:

This is one cool nano in the making. It looks so artistic to me. Is a piece of art. From the tank, scaping, lights everything! :happy:

It will look even more gorgeous when all your frags have grown bigger.

Congrats David. You have a beautiful tank!

-_- That's quite a compliment coming from you, and your amazing tank!!!

Not a bad thought.

I'm curious how it affects the corals though.

But guess what, I now get to find out in person!

Got my very own Vortech MP20 in today and it is set in Night Mode at this very moment! :lol:

Yay Weetie!!!

I might go the Solana route later with you David. Heinsight is always 20/20.

I got the Vortech MP20 in today. The best wave i can get is about 1/2 - 3/4".

Where abouts did you have yours installed on you JBJ?

I have mine 2.5" from the front on the left side and 4" from the very top. Measuring from the closest edge of the motor of course.

I might go the Solana route later with you David. Heinsight is always 20/20.

I got the Vortech MP20 in today. The best wave i can get is about 1/2 - 3/4".

Where abouts did you have yours installed on you JBJ?

I have mine 2.5" from the front on the left side and 4" from the very top. Measuring from the closest edge of the motor of course.

Try moving it up a bit higher towards the surface. But, if you go to high it will suck air... Also, maybe move it back from the front a bit towards the middle of the glass.

Also, when adjusting the wave, set the power @ 100%, and set the pulse at the fastest. Then very gradually adjust the pulse down so it's slower and longer. Give it like 30-45 seconds in between adjustments 'till you hit the "sweet spot".

Every tank is going to be a bit different, so just play around with it and you should be golden!!!

That is exactly how I adjusted it for the pulse mode. I think I might have to move it up a little. I have it on lagoon right now.

I'm having some red slime in the sand and i'm hoping the extra flow will get rid of it. I cut down on feeding and am doing more water changes over the past week and a half, but it's only helping in the least.

That is exactly how I adjusted it for the pulse mode. I think I might have to move it up a little. I have it on lagoon right now.

I'm having some red slime in the sand and i'm hoping the extra flow will get rid of it. I cut down on feeding and am doing more water changes over the past week and a half, but it's only helping in the least.

The combo of those things you are doing should help combat the red slime.

Hey David,

I found I can get a better and higher wave with less power. About 80% yielded a better wave for me then 100%. This MP20 is to fun to play with.

I have a question about your Solana. Is it made with better quality glass like saphire or other for better clarity? I'm starting to get sick of the greenish tint on my JBJ. Also, how well does the skimmer work in the Solana? Any upgrades you've done or are planning for the Solana?

Hey David,

I found I can get a better and higher wave with less power. About 80% yielded a better wave for me then 100%. This MP20 is to fun to play with.

I have a question about your Solana. Is it made with better quality glass like saphire or other for better clarity? I'm starting to get sick of the greenish tint on my JBJ. Also, how well does the skimmer work in the Solana? Any upgrades you've done or are planning for the Solana?

I don't know bro... It's still in the garage!!! omgomgomg

They do make a Solana that has Sapphire, but mine does not have it! I've heard the stock skimmer works fairly well, but it's loud! Mine didn't come with the stock skimmer, but I picked up a used one for next to nothing!

What is causing the greenish tint on your JBJ??? Mine is over a year old, and the glass is very clear!?!?

My last tank was a truvu, so looking through ordinary glass just isn't the same. I'm seriously considering the Solana as an upgrade in the future so I'm waiting to see what you think once you get it all together.

My last tank was a truvu, so looking through ordinary glass just isn't the same. I'm seriously considering the Solana as an upgrade in the future so I'm waiting to see what you think once you get it all together.

I see... I've never had it, so maybe that's why???

i will keep you posted for sure... If I ever get the damn thing up and running!!! omgomgomg

Looking good!

I was checking out the TruVu 25 Nano, looks pretty good. I think I would like the larger Solana though. I wouldn't have to upgrade anything, but the tank itself.

Your my favortie guinea pig David. Your tanks look awesome!

Archived