ReefCleaners.org

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

SeeDemTails

Wow el fab everything looks awesome, I missed that update for sure.

Great job fitting everything in that tank, I know how challenging it can be. The LED's looks great as well.

Also, I love the SPS of course, they all look like they are doing great!

el fabuloso

Thanks guys! I wish I could do a proper update but my camera is still out of commission. I'm waiting for a new one to come in but it's been on backorder so until then, no pics. :(

I realized that I can no longer do enough water changes to keep up with calcium and alk so I'm now dosing with C-Balance twice a day. I also got an Elos calcium test kit to get more accurate results with my calcium tests and so far I've been impressed.

I've finally parted ways with my galaxy since it was taking far too much room in a small tank with its long sweeper tentacles. I swapped a few things around but so far I'm still not completely happy with the scape. Who knew SPS corals would be so much harder to place?

On a sadder note, I found my yellowtail damsel dead yesterday (May 5th). I found him in the morning dried up next to the tank so he must've jumped which isn't like him. I'm guessing the emerald crab may have forced him to jump out as he's been snappy with the damsel lately. :(

el fabuloso

Sorry to hear that, Kim! :(

I still don't think damsels are jumpers at all and I really suspect some foul play from my emerald crab. <_<

sinfony78

sorry to hear...always sad to see a dead animal..i'm even sad when my snails come out of my tank and i find them dead somewhere else in the house

did u have a damsel, two sexy shrimp, and an emerald crab in your tank?

i was hoping to be able to do a damsel, two sexies, and a pom pom but was worried about the bioload or that the damsel would attack the shrimp...can it be done?

MGDMIRAGE
Sorry to hear that, Kim! :(

I still don't think damsels are jumpers at all and I really suspect some foul play from my emerald crab. <_<

My yellowtail jumped out of my 5.5 and flopped out onto my desk, but it was because my daughter freaked him out by putting her finger up to tank. Hes fat and happy now 1 week later. only reason i see them jumping is from being extremely startled, i don't consider them a jumper either.

el fabuloso
did u have a damsel, two sexy shrimp, and an emerald crab in your tank?

i was hoping to be able to do a damsel, two sexies, and a pom pom but was worried about the bioload or that the damsel would attack the shrimp...can it be done?

I had the yellowtail damsel with two sexy shrimps, an emerald crab and a peppermint shrimp. Surprisingly the damsel did not add much to the bioload despite it being active and all and it was also peaceful and got a long with all the inverts and corals. Like MGDMIRAGE said, he was probably startled which caused him to jump and my guess would be the emerald crab since it's the only invert in my tank that shows the least bit of aggression. I'll probably get another yellowtail damsel but it won't feel the same. :(

d'Espresso

whoa, :( sorry about your Blu.. My Yasha jumped out and landed in my waste water change bucket. Lucky there was still water in it so i did an emergency recover in my other new tank.. It's weird how fish got a mind of its own and just decided one day they wanna learn how to fly or wonder how it feels to be out of the water. Whew! Anything we can do for you Fab? I agree that maybe it was the emerald startled Blu but hey im not pointing fingers at anyone.. :unsure:

el fabuloso

I'm totally putting the blame on the emerald crab. Bastard. :angry:

They're efficient cleaners when it comes to hair and bubble algae (at least mine was) but that's about it. They're destructive and aggressive and I would not recommend one in pico after everything I've gone through. I'm thinking of transferring him to bigger tank and getting maybe a pom pom or a porcelain crab instead.

The thing I'm going to miss about Blu the most is his personality. My peppermint shrimp can be quite obnoxious and is known for stealing food from corals during feeding time. Blu actually caught on and learned to chase the peppermint shrimp during feeding time by watching me. Basically the more the peppermint shrimp was around the less Blu got fed so chasing the shrimp off meant more food for him. Pretty clever! Speaking of the peppermint, he'll be the second one to go as well. He took care of my aiptasia problem and now he's just a nuisance. :angry:

d'Espresso

hey fab, i got a question? have you ever experiment your orange montipora growth changing color to a faded orange. im staying on a precaution look out on my orange cap just started happen yesterday after i fed the tank. should i be worried? any suggestion?

el fabuloso

How long have you had the monti cap? Mine came form a tank under halides and I did notice some fading but not too much.

Paleoreef103
The thing I'm going to miss about Blu the most is his personality. My peppermint shrimp can be quite obnoxious and is known for stealing food from corals during feeding time. Blu actually caught on and learned to chase the peppermint shrimp during feeding time by watching me. Basically the more the peppermint shrimp was around the less Blu got fed so chasing the shrimp off meant more food for him. Pretty clever! Speaking of the peppermint, he'll be the second one to go as well. He took care of my aiptasia problem and now he's just a nuisance. :angry:

I hear you. Damsels are smart little fish (well maybe not chromis they're pretty dumb). Sorry about your loss. Also kick the peppermint to the curb. Mine developed a taste for LPS and killed two acans, and a micromussa colony. :angry:

d'Espresso

i got it when it was a little frag from under t5 lights but now its been in my tank for more then 7 months, shows a little growth and been doing fine with PC ever since until yesterday night after feeding i forgot to turn back on my pumps and filter for more then 45 mins. does that effect anything at all?

How long have you had the monti cap? Mine came form a tank under halides and I did notice some fading but not too much.
el fabuloso
I hear you. Damsels are smart little fish (well maybe not chromis they're pretty dumb). Sorry about your loss. Also kick the peppermint to the curb. Mine developed a taste for LPS and killed two acans, and a micromussa colony. :angry:

I haven't seen my peppermint pick on any of the corals but he's been more bold and brazen now that my damsel isn't around to put him in his place. The nerve! :angry:

i got it when it was a little frag from under t5 lights but now its been in my tank for more then 7 months, shows a little growth and been doing fine with PC ever since until yesterday night after feeding i forgot to turn back on my pumps and filter for more then 45 mins. does that effect anything at all?

I don't see how that would affect the frag directly but the SPS tend to be particular about stability and can look washed out from time to time if things aren't in the parameters they're used to. Check your alk and calcium levels, you may have to do a couple of water changes a week to keep those levels up to par.

Pico pupil

what DIY ATO system did you use? can you give me the thread link if you used one?

thanks.

Edited by Pico pupil
Nuclear Fire
El Fabuloso, do you think a Koralia Nano (240gph) would be way overkill for the pico?

I have a picotope and the nano (not togther). I thought it would be, so I tried it out and yep, much too strong. A bit late considering when you asked the question, but maybe someone else will come along and it'll benefit them.

Addendum: Holy crap. Finally finished all 35 pages, but it was worth it for the beautiful pictures and all the education. Amazing tank and thread. Got my picotope started 2 days ago and can't wait for The LED Gawd's next offering of his LED light.

Edited by Nuclear Fire
  • 2 weeks later...
el fabuloso
Addendum: Holy crap. Finally finished all 35 pages, but it was worth it for the beautiful pictures and all the education. Amazing tank and thread. Got my picotope started 2 days ago and can't wait for The LED Gawd's next offering of his LED light.

Thanks for catching up! 35 pages is crazy, I can't believe this tank has lasted this long. Can't wait to see your pico thread. :)

Still no camera! The one I wanted was backordered for the longest time so now I'm getting a different one instead and should hopefully come in this week. In the meantime some big changes are about to take place. My friend (the keeper of the M9) is moving to Seattle in a couple of weeks and she's leaving her tanks behind for me to keep. As much as I look forward to keeping more tanks (not to mention more dumping room for my pico), I'm not looking forward to the stress that's involved with moving. :(

As for my pico, things have finally settled in nicely in their proper places. I now dose with C-Balance two part solution twice a day to maintain proper alk and calcium levels and I'm seeing good coloration and growth with SPS corals.

d'Espresso

Hey Fab.. i am still in love with your tank. Sadly my tank is down and sold the tank and equipments. also another sad news is that the blue cloves didn't make it and i tried everything to save it but it just wont open up so i guess i wait again and go on the hunt for it.

The good news is that i got my old setup back up and running but thinking about upgrading again to a Solana? :) hmmm.. but here is the fts ( sorry to hi-jack your page. hehe) here is my 12 gallon PICO :)

IMG_0233.jpg

Edited by d'Espresso
fiction101

Twice a day? Do you dose alk and calcium at different times, or do you have to dose them both twice a day?

Hey Fab.. i am still in love with your tank. Sadly my tank is down and sold the tank and equipments. also another sad news is that the blue cloves didn't make it and i tried everything to save it but it just wont open up so i guess i wait again and go on the hunt for it.

The good news is that i got my old setup back up and running but thinking about upgrading again to a Solana? :) hmmm.. but here is the fts ( sorry to hi-jack your page. hehe) here is my 12 gallon PICO :)

IMG_0233.jpg

That's odd that your cloves didn't make it. They're usually extremely hardy.