Pod Your Reef

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

OMG :o what more can you say love the tank i hope that one day my 10g could look somthing like that

reading all 39 pages has been so cool could not put it down and i feel like i have learned so much i am going to put a aquaclear 70 on you tank so thanks i wish that evil 66 could build me a light i am trying to got a 12 inch led that clips on to my tank. Sorrry about blue hope you get a new fish or is the pain too bad lol

OMG :o what more can you say love the tank i hope that one day my 10g could look somthing like that

reading all 39 pages has been so cool could not put it down and i feel like i have learned so much i am going to put a aquaclear 70 on you tank so thanks i wish that evil 66 could build me a light i am trying to got a 12 inch led that clips on to my tank. Sorrry about blue hope you get a new fish or is the pain too bad lol

Thanks and welcome to my thread! Still undecided on getting another fish and what kind. It's been too long though, I really should get a fish soon to fill the void. :)

NEW FTS?

please :D

This has been the longest I've gone without posting a FTS! And I have a confession to make, I've been neglecting this tank. :(

Between traveling in and out of town and trying to get some work done I haven't been taking care of this tank at all. I didn't do any water changes for over a month and didn't do any feedings either but amazingly everyone is still ticking, SPS and all. It's amazing how well a good ATO and a mature tank can sustain itself. lol

Yesterday I finally got tired of watching it in the back burner so I got back on my routine maintenance and gave it a good scrubbing so I should have some new pics up soon. :)

Dammit now I feel bad. Not only have I been neglecting the tank but I've also neglected this thread. So I took out the camera and took some pictures. Damn peer pressure. :rolleyes:

Lo and behold, the current and semi-clean FTS:

CIMG0601.jpg

CIMG0608.jpg

CIMG0609.jpg

Believe it or not the tank was a lot messier than in these pictures. Not necessarily algae messy but more along the lines of the corals overgrowing on top of each other and trying to do their own thing. Especially my monti cap which at this point has grown far too big for the tank.

CIMG0610.jpg

CIMG0602.jpg

CIMG0619.jpg

This behemoth has gotten so big and heavy that keeping it in place has literally become a PITA. In fact one of the reasons I got lazy doing water changes for a while is because of this thing. It keeps toppling over that a ten minute water change would sometimes turn into a two-hour ordeal of trying to keep it in place without it getting hurt by the other corals. I know that fragging this thing would solve a lot of my problems but it's so gorgeous I don't want to cut it. :(

My other problem and the one with the most growth (second only to the monti cap) is the sunset millepora. Not only is it trying to grow out of the water but it's also stinging the hell out of anything it comes in contact with so trying to keep it in balance with the monti cap has been a huge ordeal. I should probably start fragging them as well.

CIMG0636.jpg

CIMG0627.jpg

CIMG0618.jpg

The other SPS are doing just as well. Here's the aussie delicate with the original frag right behind it.

CIMG0614.jpg

CIMG0615.jpg

The original frag used to be on the sand bed and was overshadowed by the monti cap. I recently moved it to this spot in hopes that it'll recover. The pink birdsnest has also grown tremendously although some of its tips have been overgrown by algae so I may have to trim off some of these tips.

CIMG0605.jpg

CIMG0626.jpg

On another positive note, my mystery acro frag has actually colored up to a bright yellow color.

CIMG0629.jpg

And the red-headed step-child encrusting monti that never found a proper spot is alive and kicking.

CIMG0613.jpg

So this is what the left side of the tank currently looks like:

CIMG0611.jpg

Note the various "jenga rocks" in place to keep the tower from toppling down. Notice also my never ending blue clove epidemic. The invasion continues and resistance is futile.

CIMG0612.jpg

And here's my peppermint shrimp mocking me. I've been trying to move him over to the RSM but have not had much luck in catching him. :angry:

CIMG0617.jpg

On the LPS front, my blastos are as happy as can be.

CIMG0607.jpg

And the brain coral, although it looks good from the front...

CIMG0635.jpg

... tells a whole other story on the other side.

CIMG0622.jpg

It's slowly losing the battle against the ever encroaching favia not to mention a few stings from the millepora every now and then. I really wish I could save this thing but I can't seem to keep the RSM stable enough to move some of these corals into. :(

The trumpets have also grown some new heads and is happily sharing its branches with some Xenias, blue cloves and some surviving GSP.

CIMG0628.jpg

My Hollywood stunner chalice is losing the battle against a yuma though it has doubled in size since I've gotten it.

CIMG0606.jpg

I've been seeing a lot of growth in my yumas and all my rics in general. Here's another yuma growing right behind the plate coral:

CIMG0631.jpg

And an even newer one budding off from the original specimen (bright green):

CIMG0637.jpg

What started off as one ricordea is now splitting off into four:

CIMG0624.jpg

And my green-striped mushrooms blossoming under the shade of the monti cap:

CIMG0620.jpg

Along with some rogue mushrooms that transplanted themselves to the back corner with some blue cloves.

CIMG0634.jpg

The Xenias are actually staying in one place for once.

CIMG0603.jpg

CIMG0623.jpg

And here's my peppermint shrimp mocking me again. :angry:

CIMG0638.jpg

pico082009.jpg

Good job fab, bout time you got it nice and clean! Mother will be proud of you. Lol :)

Oh btw I didn't forget about you "your frag of baby rainbow Yuma I frag for you is still slowly growing, I wish it grow alittle faster so I can send it to you bro. Right now it's about a nickel size let me know if you think it is good enough to send it.. :) -David

Ps: the frag is on my solana thread last page k

All I can think of is all the naysayers on "the other forum" that kept saying you can't grow sps under LEDs. You're growing sps under 30W of LEDs in a pico :lol: Morans :owned:

TOTY

You're so sweet. :blush::flower:

Oh btw I didn't forget about you "your frag of baby rainbow Yuma I frag for you is still slowly growing, I wish it grow alittle faster so I can send it to you bro. Right now it's about a nickel size let me know if you think it is good enough to send it..

Awesome! Let me make some room first and hopefully by then it'll be at a good size for shipping. :)

You're growing sps under 30W of LEDs in a pico :lol: Morans :owned:

That's right and thanks to you! Not to mention my tank survived the summer without any heat issues just perfect 80º temp all day everyday. :happy:

i have an ATO question, do you know what brand of float switch you got for the ATO?

I got my switch from Chicago Sensor. I ordered the smallest one they have (FLT015).

Now make a max thread! your link goes to a pc actinics page

I know! The MAX Thread got lost in the crash and it sucks that I have to rewrite it all over again. :(

Not to mention the tank hasn't been doing all that great and as I mentioned before I have a hard time keeping it stable. Whoever said bigger tanks are easier was full of lies and deceit. Give me a pico any day.

Wowza fab, that tank is about as cramm packed as it can get! I bet that shrimp feels like Aliss in Wonder Land walking around in there. And lol at the sps trying to grow out of the tank! If you wanna get rid of some blue cloves lemme know! I still can't find any locally.

If you wanna get rid of some blue cloves lemme know! I still can't find any locally.

I may have to make some room real soon and will probably be getting rid of some frags, I'll let you know. I haven't been cultivating blue cloves by themselves but I may have some frags I'm willing to part with that has blue cloves on it. Everything in my tank has blue cloves on it. <_<

Wow, i'm not a huge sps fan but ever since i saw your monti i've been in love, now i want one in red, green and purple.

I LOVE my monti cap even though it's a pain trying to keep it in my tank. If you like I have some frags that I may want to get rid of soon not to mention I should start fragging my colony if I can ever bring myself to break it apart. :(