ReefCleaners.org

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

Far from it! It took me so long to find a replacement fish and I even went down the list of possible candidates. I thought about a yellow clown goby but I've heard stories of them tearing up SPS polyps and I didn't want to run that risk especially since my SPS are doing so well. Then I thought about some of the more rare trimma and eviota gobies but I never see them at my LFS and they're a little too much for what I'm willing to pay for a fish which is more or less a secondary element in this tank.

I finally broke it down to the key points I'm looking for—small, peaceful, active, colorful and cheap. Nothing fits those descriptions better than a yellowtail damsel. :happy:

I've thought about that but with my tank as packed as it is, my substrate is practically covered. There'd be no room for them to dig and move around.

AdriftQuasar
Indeed and I will be getting rid of a bunch of stuff soon. Do you have anything in mind? I'll most likely be getting rid of some monti caps, birdsnest and yumas.

I am most interested in the monti caps and birdnest, especially the pink one. Though, I've felt the need for some yumas for a long time. I don't ming standing in line to get some fab frags (that almost sounded offensive).

How do you skim surface for all the accumalating junk?

I have my powerhead directed at the surface so it breaks it up and it does a good job at keeping junk from accumulating.

Hey fab I call first dibs on your yumas. Lol not the orange one but the other Yuma. Alrite! -David

At this point I'm only getting rid of some orange ones. :P

I am most interested in the monti caps and birdnest, especially the pink one. Though, I've felt the need for some yumas for a long time. I don't ming standing in line to get some fab frags (that almost sounded offensive).

:lol: that's funny. The yuma will most likely come with some blue cloves. I hope you're okay with that. ;)

so did you not catch the peppermint lol? the peppermints ive had will eat out of my hand and even clean my hand, i couldnt imagine it being to hard to have some mysis in your hand and catching him but then again, can you fit your hand in that tank?

nanoreefnate
Blue? He jumped out and died. I have a feeling the emerald crab had something to do with it. :angry:

OIC....im sorry to hear that. you know that when i saw your little guy in your pico i decided to pick one up and put it in my 75g. they're so cool. they have great personalities and they're so active!

i hope you able to get the emerald crab out!

so did you not catch the peppermint lol? the peppermints ive had will eat out of my hand and even clean my hand, i couldnt imagine it being to hard to have some mysis in your hand and catching him but then again, can you fit your hand in that tank?

I can't get him out! :o

Srsly he's like the elusive Roadrunner. I've set up various traps and ways to get him out. Very tame, will come out and poke around when I'm cleaning the tank and will even take pieces of food straight from my hand. But it's like he knows that I'm trying to get him out of the tank. But like you said, the size of the tank doesn't help since I can't exactly dig my hand in and nab him. :angry:

OIC....im sorry to hear that. you know that when i saw your little guy in your pico i decided to pick one up and put it in my 75g. they're so cool. they have great personalities and they're so active!

i hope you able to get the emerald crab out!

Yes they're very neat indeed which is why I ended up getting another one after thinking of other candidates. I got the emerald crab out and moved him to the RSM though I haven't seen him lately. :unsure:

AdriftQuasar
:lol: that's funny. The yuma will most likely come with some blue cloves. I hope you're okay with that. ;)

I would be pretty exceited about blue cloves! I don't really have much blue in my tank and I could definitely use some. I feel like I need some purple and yellow too.

Ok , Aaron. I remember saying somthing about showing you what I used for my Ato clip on my tank and 6 months later here it is ! :D ( Just waiting for the time and to remember when I clean mine to take pics)

Here are the multiple plastic clips I have aquired by getting them off various cardboard movie displays and others at various department stores. (i.e. Walmart) All you have to do is ask when they throw them away. :D

The different varities I have

104_2974.jpg

104_2975.jpg

104_2976.jpg

The one I use

104_2981.jpg

I always was going to glue mine to the clip when I got my desired water level, but I just use the small lfs rubberbands to keep it adjustable. Roughly change it once every three to four weeks when I clean my assembly.

104_2982.jpg

On tank !

104_2985.jpg

104_2987.jpg

And my ato setup and bucket

104_2988.jpg

104_2989.jpg

104_2992.jpg

Keeps everthing rock solid and so easy. Takes about 8 days to go through that 2 gallon bucket. :D

Matt, that's genius! Now I see what you're talking about. Any way I can get some from you? :)

The large reservoir is a great idea too. I'm looking at your setup though and I'm trying to understand how it works. What's the little black canister?

104_2989.jpg

I made a new pet-name for ya flabby: E.F, shorter than that never-ending useless strand of DNA of a name you had before. :P

"El fab" or "fab" is plenty short and will do just fine. ;)

I'm curious as to how that setup works too. I had bought an aquahub DIY kit from BRS and pretty much given up on it. The clip would make all the difference in the world for me as I could not get a proper bend with the supplied piece of white plastic frustration. Then it's a matter of it keeping the water level at least as high as the trim in my 20h....I still need to start a pico.

Every time I see pics of this pico I feel the need to say-

:o This tank is absolutely incredible El Fab! :o

No matter the size, it's an awesome reef tank-period.

That said though....

The fact that it's a pico is all the more impressive! :lol:

Such a beautiful reef. Outstanding job. B)

Matt, that's genius! Now I see what you're talking about. Any way I can get some from you? :)

The large reservoir is a great idea too. I'm looking at your setup though and I'm trying to understand how it works. What's the little black canister?

104_2989.jpg

"El fab" or "fab" is plenty short and will do just fine. ;)

Alright. :unsure:

Such a beautiful reef. Outstanding job. B)

Thanks, Richie! :blush:

To be honest it's almost too easy. The RSM on the other hand is an entirely different beast. Now if I can only get that thing looking half as decent. I really need to get the thread back up but after writing a long and well thought out write up for it and then losing it all in the server glitch I just haven't found the motivation. :(

43 pages later and now I am wanting a pico :lol: . I didnt read every post but I have spent the past couple of hours finaly reading your thread and you truly have a sexy pico. It makes my 3 month old nano look so bland lol. I need to go to the LFS now. As I read your thread though I realized that my fears have some merrit, if I get too much now they will overgrow and crowd each other out. I guess a few more then I just need patients lol.

I think I am going to set up a ATO for my office tank like you did earlier in this thread. Its a great idea and I have all the stuff.

104_2989.jpg

The little black canister is to catch large particles. I have read that those dosing pumps get clogged easily and they are a pita to clean so the canister catches the larger crap that you dont want in your pump.

Thanks, Richie! :blush:

To be honest it's almost too easy. The RSM on the other hand is an entirely different beast. Now if I can only get that thing looking half as decent. I really need to get the thread back up but after writing a long and well thought out write up for it and then losing it all in the server glitch I just haven't found the motivation. :(

I know, I felt bad for all who lost some stuff, but that was an excellent start to your RSM thread.

I have little doubt that Max of yours will be just a sweet in due time. :)

Meh, perhaps you will get board one day this winter and spool that thread content out again. :lol:

Edited by Needreefunds
The little black canister is to catch large particles. I have read that those dosing pumps get clogged easily and they are a pita to clean so the canister catches the larger crap that you dont want in your pump.

Bingo ! My water is always 0 tds , but as a precautionary method for $1.99 I couldn't pass it up. :D

Aaron , I will send you a little care package of clips if you pm me your address.

Matt