Coral Vue Hydros

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

Thanks! I've never had any problems with my monti cap. My only problem with it is that it won't stop growing! I do regular feedings of zooplankton once a week when I feed my whole tank. Surprisingly I still haven't found the need to dose for calcium but I do two 10% water changes a week. Be sure to get your thread up soon! :)

Glad to hear about the yuma! I love each and every piece in my tank but my orange yuma is probably my personal favorite by far. Not only was it one of the first corals I got in my tank but it's also the one that's yielded the most success. I would kill for a pink yuma! I think that's the one thing that's missing in my tank.

The powerhead is still in the tank, it's just tucked away in the back corner so that it's inconspicuous from the front.

CIMG5778.jpg

Great tank - I appreciate your willingness to share the details of your success. I was curious what pieces you use to attach to your Rio powehead. I can see that it's locline, but what are the pieces I need to pick up to do something similar with the Rio 50?

el fabuloso

Thanks and welcome to my thread! Those nozzle attachments came with the Rio 50. The package comes with various attachments that you can connect together depending on the setup you're looking for. :)

I am so happy that I got some of your cloves in mah tank :D

The tank looks freakin' schweet.

Thanks, Maria! I'm glad you've got a little piece of fab in your tank. :) How are they doing, by the way?

WOW! that is all i can say! i actually found your tank in its beginning phases on a blog and then saw nano-reef.com on its sources. then i clicked it and here i am! version 2.0 of your tank is amazing and i wish you the best of luck with everything! like you even need it, :P

• 2 weeks later...

wow fab i can't believe your pico starting to grow in with all your new additions. I miss having pico sometime i just stare at my old pictures or just go to your thread and try to read the whole journal of your journey with your pico. Great job aaron! Im about to make the big switch on tues.-wed this week. Check it out sometime bro.

Ps. Hopefully when the tank is established soon i might need a favor from you if thats ok! :) -david

Edited by d'Espresso
Maroon Clown

hi el fab,

i have been reading your tank for the last three days and saw that you wanted a pink yuma, if your still interested there are some really great looking ones on uniquecorals.com. they may not look pink in the pictures but they are very beautiful and pink in person. also, i would like to thank you for starting this thread, i am going to start a yuma,ricordia, and monti 3 gallon pico because of you and your tank.

thanks again :) ,

Maroon

Hey Aaron! Heard you want a pink Yuma. i would love to get my hands on those also but kinda pricey! :) But guess what? My Rainbow Yuma just laid a little Yuma and started to form it shape, still green but it takes a while to grow. Since you been the nicest person to help everyone here on nano-reef on about picos. i decided that i wanted to let you have a piece of frag of my baby Rainbow Yuma once it gets a little bigger, if you would like that Offer.. Only to "El FAB" let me know and i be happy to frag it out for you bro. - David

el fabuloso

Sexy Shrimp Undressed

I was doing my usual routine of feeding the inverts tonight when I noticed that one my sexies wasn't taking the pellet. This was odd since they're usually such pigs when it comes to food. Then she started contracting and contorting her body and that's when I noticed that she was molting right in front of my eyes! This was really odd since they usually hide somewhere to do this but there she was, on top of my monti cap undressing herself. Luckily I was able to grab my camera quick enough to take some shots of the whole process.

CIMG9761.jpg

CIMG9763.jpg

CIMG9764.jpg

CIMG9765.jpg

CIMG9766.jpg

CIMG9767.jpg

CIMG9768.jpg

CIMG9769.jpg

CIMG9770.jpg

CIMG9772.jpg

CIMG9773.jpg

I can't believe I actually got to see this right in front of me. Incredible. I wish I could've taken better pictures but the whole process happened in less than half a minute. A video would've been even better but quality wise would've been a lot worse.

• 3 weeks later...

So I know I am super late but after 5 days of reading during my breaks and lunches at work I have finally made it to the end of the post. Super informative and inspiring. Since moving into our new place I have decided to setup a Pico because of space limitations and your tank is an absolute inspiration for sure. I only hope to have mine look half as good one day. You are definitely the King of Picos. I will be sure to start a thread when I get everything. Currently in the purchasing stages at this point, sending everything to my family and friends in the states to pick it up for when I come back home during my vacation in September. thanks for all the info you have provided to this wonderful community.

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what kind of chemical and mechanical filtration are you using? I know I read somewhere where you metioned your chemical method, but I can't find it again. Also, any particular media bag recommended? I am about to do your AC70 Fuge mod, and want to set it up identical to yours. At first I was against the idea of mods, etc...but I am tired of fighting with the stock filter, additional deco art HOB filter, powerhead, and heater all cluttering things up. The fuge mod seems like the perfect solution to my problem. Thanks!

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what kind of chemical and mechanical filtration are you using? I know I read somewhere where you metioned your chemical method, but I can't find it again. Also, any particular media bag recommended? I am about to do your AC70 Fuge mod, and want to set it up identical to yours. At first I was against the idea of mods, etc...but I am tired of fighting with the stock filter, additional deco art HOB filter, powerhead, and heater all cluttering things up. The fuge mod seems like the perfect solution to my problem. Thanks!

You should check out this thread will answer all your question:

El Fab's Simple Guide to Pico Tanks

please check it out :) have a nice day!

for Chemical method: Chemi-pure (elite) and chaeto along with Filter-Floss.

Jungle_John

hey guys this was the best place for me to think about posting this question. i found the float switch that el fab used:) however i saw some one had a plastic strip that molded to the tank to hold the float. dose any one know were to buy that? it was a aquatic store i think the post got deleted with the crash:(

any one??? thanks guys :lol:

also how did you wire the air pump? :huh: