Cultivated Reef

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

el fabuloso

I would hate to do that and then have it grow all funky. If I do try that I would probably do it with a new frag. I really like the shape of my monti and I wouldn't want to ruin it.

Go SPS!!!!:D It's what all the cool kids are doing these days!!

Check out Emester he has some pics of the montis he grew together.

BTW tank is looking saweet. I only hope my tank will look half as good as yours. :bowdown:

The change the new lighting has made to the Monti is immense. I'm impressed. By the looks of things it'd be easy enough to support a more demanding array of species, and hell, how many picos do you really see with a bunch of hard coral?

As for the fused Montis.. as was mentioned here it's usually just the two on a frag plug, and letting nature take its course. Coolest one I ever saw was a Monti cap and a Monti digi on the same plug, the cap basically surrounded the base of the digi, made it look like the same coral had two different growth patterns :D

Fab, tank's looking awesome. That cap really colored up. I think you will notice the flesh on that birdsnest start to lighted up to the color it is supposed to be. Mine did anyways.

That fixture has enough PAR capability to grow sps at any level in the tank. That said, it also makes it a little more difficult for lower light lps. Good thing you can turn it down ;)

When did you decide to start dosing your tank? I'm thinking about started to dose my picotope, but I'm not sure how to start if off? I would hate to throw everything off by adding too much.

el fabuloso

Thanks guys! :happy:

When did you decide to start dosing your tank? I'm thinking about started to dose my picotope, but I'm not sure how to start if off? I would hate to throw everything off by adding too much.

I don't really feel like I'm dosing my tank. I supplement with Reef Plus in my weekly feeding but that's about it. I just stay on top of water changes to keep my calcium in check as well as other trace elements.

now sell me some blue cloves :flower:

You have PM.

Hey Fab, just bought me a 3g picotope. Had to tell the wife it was for her but you know how that goes ;)

Congrats! Glad to have you in the club. Some sexies in that tank will surely win the wifey over. ;)

Congrats! Glad to have you in the club. Some sexies in that tank will surely win the wifey over. ;)

Just to boost your ego more, I showed her your tank so she could see what it COULD look like, not that it ever will. Lol

el fabuloso
Fab, tank's looking awesome. That cap really colored up. I think you will notice the flesh on that birdsnest start to lighted up to the color it is supposed to be. Mine did anyways.

That fixture has enough PAR capability to grow sps at any level in the tank. That said, it also makes it a little more difficult for lower light lps. Good thing you can turn it down ;)

Thanks! The birdsnest is definitely starting to color up and I didn't think I'd see this much growth on it right away. Same thing with the acro frag. It was a nondescript ugly brown ORA frag that I got for free but now that it's starting to grow and color up it's starting to look like this. :happydance:

great tank and Is your gsp out of the water

:lol:

I get this a lot and no, it's not out of the water, there's enough water to cover the tip of it. Definitely gets a lot of light though but it doesn't seem to mind.

CIMG8570.jpg

CIMG8568.jpg

Fab ! I am warning you now about the sps up keep in the pico ! I myself do not mind it , but it is an everyday regiment of dosing. I as of right now Have a crocea clam, purple montipora digitata, hot pink millipora, a blue acro tenius, a lime green acro , and another millipora that is just brown. I thought it would color up under my light , but it is just brown . My daily dosing of 2 part is 3ml of a , and 2 ml of b in the morning around 6am. And the same at 6 pm. On days That I get off work early I switch it up. Weds,Thurs, Friday. It is usually 2 of a and 2 of b at 6am and then a mid day dose between 1-2 pm of 1 ml of each and then the 3 a and 2 ml of b again at 7-8 pm. This keeps my Kh at 10-11 and calc at 450-460. I have had some major growth of my corals at these parameters. I want to purchase a litermeter3 , but can.t justify the 500 dollars. :wacko: I must say to me it is worth it. I hope you do go this way it is soo awesome ! :D

el fabuloso
Trim that lawn, son!

I'm on it! I'm getting ready to bust out the razor blades. ;)

Smitty, I was just thinking about how much dosing I'll have to do and how I'm going to do it. Your regimen doesn't sound too bad, if anything that'll replace the manual top-offs I use to do twice a day before I had my ATO and I did that for over a year! lol With as much SPS and LPS corals I currently have, I'm surprise I'm still not finding the need to dose, just two water changes a week. What salt are you using?

I'm really entertaining the idea of a SPS-dominated pico but I don't want to do it haphazardly. I'm going to MAX next week, hopefully I'll get some ideas. :happy:

I actually use Nsw ! It comes from my lfs at a perfect 35ppt. I have had it be a little low form time to time. When I do get it lower , I use dd-h20. Add it accordingly to the nsw and it's good to go. I have been thinking about just weening my pico off the nsw and making my own saltbatching, but it is just way to convienient !