Coral Vue Hydros

El Fab's Pico Reef: 2007–2010

el fabuloso

el fabuloso
One of the most rare mature outstanding pico I have ever seen. Two thumbs up! And nicely describe said about everything you did or do for your pico and for all of us to follow on your accomplished journeys many more.. I'm curious about your sps and see how it will come out. In the pass years have u ever have problem with your orange monticap and what do u give them to eat to have a good growth like yours. I have a green monti in my pico but I want to have better growth and polps extension. I don't have a thread journal yet but I am in the progress of writing one out soon. Thanks for your pico, u are an inspiration to all the pico's owners. Nice fts and ato!

Thanks! I've never had any problems with my monti cap. My only problem with it is that it won't stop growing! I do regular feedings of zooplankton once a week when I feed my whole tank. Surprisingly I still haven't found the need to dose for calcium but I do two 10% water changes a week. Be sure to get your thread up soon! :)

thanks fab, i might just have to go buy one from my old work. i think it's annoying me more than the corals since i have it placed right next to my bed. i also have an orange yuma exactly like yours that i got a year ago. it's just been kickin it in my biocube and right when i moved it in my pico. it budded just like yours!!! yay! now i know exactly how you felt when yours first started! hopefully my pink yuma will do the same. -Ivan

Glad to hear about the yuma! I love each and every piece in my tank but my orange yuma is probably my personal favorite by far. Not only was it one of the first corals I got in my tank but it's also the one that's yielded the most success. I would kill for a pink yuma! I think that's the one thing that's missing in my tank.

So in the later pics i cant seem to find a powerhead. Is the aquaclear the only thing supplying flow now?

The powerhead is still in the tank, it's just tucked away in the back corner so that it's inconspicuous from the front.

CIMG5778.jpg

your aquarium reminds me of gilman's aquarium

Holy crap you're right! I miss his aquarium (and birdmans). Actually I miss his mini-bow forum too :(

Holy crap you're right! I miss his aquarium (and birdmans). Actually I miss his mini-bow forum too :(

i cant even find a minibow anymore and I have a perfectly good matt gecko hood sitting around

The powerhead is still in the tank, it's just tucked away in the back corner so that it's inconspicuous from the front.

CIMG5778.jpg

You got xenia growing on the powercord of the rio. :P That's awesome.

das awesome
Glad to hear about the yuma! I love each and every piece in my tank but my orange yuma is probably my personal favorite by far. Not only was it one of the first corals I got in my tank but it's also the one that's yielded the most success. I would kill for a pink yuma! I think that's the one thing that's missing in my tank.

they are soo cool! mine is huge. i used to see them all the time here but not so much anymore. most of them were really ugly though so i guess i got lucky to get a pretty one

el fabuloso
You got xenia growing on the powercord of the rio. :P That's awesome.

At one point, yes. I had nothing to do with that though it just attached itself there and eventually moved somewhere else. My Xenias use to move alot this is probably the longest they've stayed in one spot and mostly because they're surrounded by cloves and they don't really have anything around them to hold on to.

How much flow do you have hitting your zoa's? I'm thinking about adding a powerhead like yours in my pico to blast them.

The powerhead doesn't hit the zoas directly as I have it pointed up to break the surface. With both the AC70 and the Rio 50 running full blast everybody seems to be happy with the GSP breaking most of the flow but they don't seem to mind.

I got my Frag-Mags yesterday so I was stoked though I'm kinda annoyed that I didn't come up with it considering it's such an obvious solution. <_<

CIMG7516.jpg

Anyway, jealousy side the product is impressive. I was surprise to find that the surface of the frag plug itself is sandy and and not just hard plastic made to look like a piece of rock. I rinsed it off to clean off some loose pieces.

CIMG7517.jpg

The magnet is amazingly strong!

CIMG7519.jpg

Preparing the frags for mounting.

CIMG7521.jpg

I was able to pop the bird's nest out of the frag plug easily but I couldn't get the Acropora frag off the plug especially since the base has already grown over the plug. ORA "plastic" plugs are obnoxiously tough and strong and no amount of cutting and prying was going to break the frag away from it or the plug itself. I could probably dremel it off but that would require more work than I'm willing to take so I took the lazy route and wedged it into a branching coral rock to keep it in place.

CIMG7527.jpg

The bird's nest on the other hand looks good and can finally sit in its final resting spot.

CIMG7522.jpg

CIMG7526.jpg

CIMG7523.jpg

I had to remove the Xenia and the rics on the frag rock that I had sitting on top of the powerhead to clear out the area. I like that I can move the frag around especially once it starts to grow so all in all I'm happy with the Frag-Mags. They're definitely a good solution for people who are running out of room. :happy:

As always the tank looks great. Nice new corals and that lace coral is a great add. I am sure it will do great with you being it's caretaker. I was thinking of trying to do some thing with magnats to hold the rio pump in place. My suctions cups are dead. I hoping they sell them in a hobby or craft store.

Thanks for sharing very impressive FTS!

reefman225gal

Well.. I can honestly say I came, I seen, and without a doubt this is the best damn pico Ive ever seen. I kept hearing everyone talking about how great your pico was fab, but I always somehow forget to check it out. All I can say is you are "The Pico King" :bowdown:

I read all the way up to page nine, congrats you have a really nice tank brother! You've inspired me!

btw: I'd vote for ya :)

edit: This thread is so awesome, I keep going back to the beginning!!! Its amazing to watch this thing develop over a year and 4 months!!!!!(hehe .. I counted)

Edited by twichstile

YOUR TANK ROCKS! I wanted to get the 3 but thought - I will get a five for the same price and have more room. Now that I see yours - absolutely AWESOME! Also thanks for the list of inhabitants... Some good ideals in there. I would also say very creative use of sapce.

Edited by latteslave

The frag mags are pretty cool, how did you join the coral to the mags? Is that a putty? Do you apply the putty whilst keeping the coral underwater? I've never used putty for this purpose but my big ceriths keep knocking over my zoo frag and bristles keep sending my mushroom floating to the sand.

el fabuloso

Thanks for the comments guys! :happy:

Jamo, I used putty and superglue to mount the frag on the mag. First I superglued the frag into the putty and then superglued the putty on the mag and pressed it down with my fingers for thirty seconds or so. The cool thing about SPS and LPS corals is that you can glue them down out of the water and make sure it's firm and secure because they don't collapse like soft corals and pretty much keep their form and structure.

Thanks for the comments guys! :happy:

Jamo, I used putty and superglue to mount the frag on the mag. First I superglued the frag into the putty and then superglued the putty on the mag and pressed it down with my fingers for thirty seconds or so. The cool thing about SPS and LPS corals is that you can glue them down out of the water and make sure it's firm and secure because they don't collapse like soft corals and pretty much keep their form and structure.

How can i get a mushroom onto some live rock then when ever i try to move the little guy he shrivels up small enough that i don't want to handle it for fear of damaging it. it is on a tiny bit of rock could i putty this to the live rock under water, or would it not set like that?

el fabuloso

Mushrooms are probably the most resilient and easiest corals to frag. We hear all the time about how delicate these creatures are but you just need to get over the fear of hurting them. You can scrape them off with a blade and use a rubber band or a net over them to get them to attach where you want them to. Probably easier said than done, but you get the idea. ;)

Mushrooms are probably the most resilient and easiest corals to frag. We hear all the time about how delicate these creatures are but you just need to get over the fear of hurting them. You can scrape them off with a blade and use a rubber band or a net over them to get them to attach where you want them to. Probably easier said than done, but you get the idea. ;)

The felt that it felt slimy when i touched it made me concious that it was secreting something possibly to protect its self, i was worried it could damage the other inhabitants so i left it be. it appears to be growing rapidly/settling in and extending to a good size. So it may be attaching itself anyway. If i add some rock that spends little over a minute out of water during moving it to my tank will i get much of a cycle? Will it have any impact on my corals/fish? Thinking of adding 2kg tomorrow or monday.