Top Shelf Aquatics

Diggman's BC29 journal (currently out of commision)

diggman08

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to convince my parents into letting me order from zoanuts. They are not for the whole online ordering deal....

Maybe I should show them a picture of your tank :D

Well its been a month since i started my BC29, so i decided to start a day by day journal. ive been reading forums on here every day since the start and ive already gained tons of knowledge, mostly from TealCorbras thread.. ive done most of his mods , exluding the lighting upgrade(coming soon)!. all responses and critisism appreciated..

so heres a pic newly set up about a month ago.

DSC00298.jpg

My tank has finished its cycle i believe, this week. i had a big diatom bloom, lasted around 1.5 weeks. now its cleared up and my rock is starting to form some nice coraline.. ill get an updated pic up tomorow.

i have 20lbs. of live sand , and 24lbs. of premium live rock. few zoa frags.

mods in signature.

i want to get all my mods done and finished , before i start adding nice corals and fish

SOME ZOAS I ORDERED FROM BOBAFET ON HERE. Fire/ice

DSC00319.jpg

DSC00321.jpg

watermelon

i dont knw what these are. they came on some of my live rock around 40 of them. Great rock huh

DSC00320.jpg

Nice looking tank,

My bc29 is three days old and coming along nice, what lighting schedule do you use if any at this early stagw?

when my tank was just started(above pics) i didnt have my lights on long because i didnt reall have anything in it.. you could go with 6-8hours for the 10k and 10hr for actinics.. if you want less you can go less.. being said that , YOUR NOT GOING TO ADD ANYTTHNG FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS!! right, dont be tempted, let it cycle through.. then you can worry about your lighting schedule more , when you get some livestock in there. :)

omgomgomg UPDATE!!....got me some new jugs to get my RO water with.... 6g water jugs from walmart... much easier than 1g ones.... so i decided to start mixing my own saltwater.. the Ro saltwater at the lfs was mixed with OCeanic salt...and ive noticed low ph levels in my tank.. so i went out on a limb. im going to start using tropic marin salt mix...(supposed to be the best on market)..still using RO fresh to mix with though... an employee at the lfs is breaking down all his SW tanks and selling his corals there.. WOWW!! the pieces are just amzing.. so i couldnt resist to buy some.. i know they woulndnt last long... i got a 5 headed neon Green Torch coral.. and a AWSOMEE meat coral( thats what they labeled it)

also got some Frozen Mysis, Frozen Rotifers,Frozen Brine, and freeze dried Cyclo-peez.. to spot feed my corals.. heres some new pics.... these are definetly the nicest pieces i own now

Meat coral) this thing has the most amazing color ( only $40 bucks ) :happydance:

DSC00800.jpg

DSC00803.jpg

DSC00799.jpg

5 headed Neon Torch coral.. (not fully extended yet)( pic doesnt show true green colors)

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

new jugs and salt

DSC00797.jpg

Never thought I would say this to another guy but......nice jugs :P

Very nice torch, your going to love that thing so will your perc.

The mouth on that meat coral, I think it is an open brain, is sweet!! Its already got its tentacles out saying feed me!

I spot feed mine mysis and it pratically folds over on itself.

Awesome bud....and sweet deals on the corals. I am going to be heading over to a guys house sometime this week to check out his brain (haha) and some other corals he's looking to part with.

Sweet jugs :naughtydance: and glad to hear you're going to start making your own water. I think it's the only way to go. I have been using Reef Crystals ever since my 55 was running and have had great results. Just another option as well that has gotten good reviews.

Glad you finally found yourself a torch...and locally to boot. It's always better to get those type of corals locally instead of shipping since they tend to puncture the shipping bags if not packaged correctly.

Nice lobophyllia as well....I just love when they call them "meat" corals. :)

thanks Dive.... i know, shipping a torch, it probaly would have gotten pretty beaten up.. im glad it was there.. It Was Meant To Be..hehe. i cant wait till they get fullly opened and acclimated. i may have to get a ATO , im getting some pretty good evaporation now.. and my salinity level keeps goin up.... i do almost a half gallon top off each day... ahhh , its getting aggrivating..... but i like maintence free :)

on a side note: i should be recieving package from Tuddzille today!!, ill keep updated..

recieved package from Tudd today.. all looks good.. nice packaging... they are acclimating right now. i will get pics up later... were do you guys have your CHeato placed in back of your tank?? i just shoved it down in chamber 1... its up against my heater, i guess this is ok.

I have mine in #2 as a fuge with a light on the back, but I think your skimmer is in there.

I have seen others mod chamber 1 into a fuge who run skimmers in #2.

Or you could do the whole soap dish in the display(yuk)!

I would think since you are topless with your sunpod, #1 would get enough light for cheato to survive just being tossed in there.

thats what i was thinking.. i still have my balls in chamber 2 :) not really loooking to mod #2.. the sunpod provides some light good light in chamber 1.. not great though.... but itll do.

I think chamber 1 would work fine with the sunpod. But....you still have balls in chamber 2? I am impresed. I dont know of many people still using those things in BC29s. But it obviously works well for you :P

Great new corals, do you have a new pic of your whole tank?

thanks Geo and Mephix.. i will get a new FTS when i arrange all these new corals into the rock work and final placement.. i kinda have them just sittting in front now..

b-b-b-b-b-bioballs? :P I guess that was dive who was skimming w/ the tunze

You should just go ahead and do the fuge mod on #2. It seriously takes like five minutes even w/ the tank full.

But hey, your tank looks sweet and everything is happy so....bioballs it is....why mess w/success!

sounds good GEo i nominate YOU to start the thread...hehe..

Yup Tudd,, i have my stock Bioballs, i havent touched chamber 2... alot of people say that bioballs create nitrate problems....... my nitrates have never read over 0. :)

:) ,

Archived