Top Shelf Aquatics

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

Jendub I haven't had any experience with--but hopefully someday.

2nd one -- um---what's the written thing that could get you in trouble?? libel?? zipped.gif

Erase the link so we don't make that guy any money. His cooler's are expensive.

Anyways---You know what? I'm not really making that much cash from this right now. It's perpetual for me. If I sell some--I have to buy more in order to "always" have something. And some corals---just won't get the $$---they are things that I like.

Speaking of me waiting a while to frag that Superman monti rock I showed earlier.....I couldn't help myself....

IMG_1529.jpg

This is the superman colony I have. I don't like how it's got some dusty looking holes in it as it grew. All in all it's a nice piece---I got two small frags from "nanonut" and this is what became of all of it!!

IMG_1530.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

Oh--and hey---Look at my montipora rainbow....

IMG_1487.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg

And again---kiddies----I STARTED ALL THIS WITH ONLY $300!!! (and a very understanding spouse....)

So don't gimme nothin about my fancy set up. :lol:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

OHH MARK ITS SO FANCY !!!!

Seriously though. You have officialy pwned my tank now into the ground LOL!!!

KEEP IT UP HOMEY !!!

PS Scott will be getting some new stuff in, in two weeks time from SOLOMON. ;) Can you say BRIGHT COLORS.

Be there or be square!

D

How do you propagate your rics? Or do you buy colonies and frag them?

If you wuz talkin' to me---I do it all.

I have bought large rocks of rics and tried (effin stress the word "tried") to separate individual polyps. Most times, I had 1.4 rics on a rock---or sometimes half of one---and made due.

The blue one that is on ebay right now was sliced like pie from a year ago or something. I don't remember where I got the original one--but I sliced up a bunch and tied them to rocks with fishing line. That took forever....

Then Prop told me about just COVERING the rics with food. When I can remember to feed them, that's what I do. Rics don't do it for me.... I tried---I really did. But I paid like $15 a mouth + shipping for about 15 orange rics. By the time I cared for them and fragged a few---and waited for the color to look the best---It just wasn't worth it for me. As a matter of fact--05Xrunner was just here the other night and I sold him my last one for $15. I paid $15+shipping!!! Eff ricordeas for me right now....

I hear you I had about 30 or so various colors that I fragged off rocks. I could not get any of them to split for months. I barely made my money back on what I paid for them. Now I mostly keep the nicer rics in my main tank. I only have two in my prop tank at the moment.

I love the rics :)

I told ya AquaWorld was a dirty place.

Who was the person working..did you get a name. There is a kid on a pittsburgh forum that works there and acts like he knows everything all the time and is just annoying.

I love the rics :)

I told ya AquaWorld was a dirty place.

Who was the person working..did you get a name. There is a kid on a pittsburgh forum that works there and acts like he knows everything all the time and is just annoying.

An older gentleman. I think the young kid is the one who answered the phone when I called earlier to ask if they had what I wanted. He went on and on about blastos, acans and all the coral they had. It's kinda outta the way for me.

Places like that are why I have the tubs!!

Looking good.....My prop tank is full of water just waiting to see if a cycle hits.....Cant wait to start cutting again

Thanks for the good words gang!

Things are growing like gangbusters. I don't know if it's just the fact that I am traveling for work a little bit more----or if the Ca reactor has just hit it's groove--but the SPS are crankin! Particularly the blue and teal stags-- They are starting to look like mini colonies instead o' frags.

IMG_1865.jpg

Er1c's Blue tort is kickin too--the base is encrusted and new stuff is growin.

IMG_1871.jpg

These are the Orange Crush acans--they are getting some great interest on ebay and are doing real well growth-wise. I want to try and always have 3-5 of these in different stages of development if I can.

IMG_1885.jpg

And then---In anticipation of some new stuff coming in--I made some AWESOME FRAG PLUGS!

I turned some of this: (PETRIFIED--and I mean PETRIFIED acro skeletons)

IMG_1913.jpg

INTO THESE

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

I gotta wash that towel someday....yeeeeechh!!

Lastly--all the talk about PPE fragging got me to frag my sweet RPE. I made 3 PPE frags for my PPE thread and a couple frags of theses RPE pictured. The only one you can see is pi$$ed from me moving it around. If you read it's lips it says "MVITE RULES!"

IMG_1911.jpg

I painstakingly made sure that each of those frag plugs fit into eggcrate.

Those acro skeletons are the hardest things I've seen. I ended up cutting my finger and getting it mixed with loads of acro dust. It mixed together to form dough. I should have made noodles from it and eaten them as the physical manifestation of me becoming one with my corals.

I seriously need to get some sort of thimbles for my fingers before I take them off. It's getting closer every time I carve.

In regards to the plastic tub part.

I found one of these tanks at my local supplier! It is 155 gallons and they want about $125.00 CDN for it. Seems like it would work. Comes in white, red, black, blue.

post-20675-1174930867_thumb.jpg

They also have this one! 350 Gallons with built in drain, not sure of the price but you could almost swim in it. Comes in white, red, black, blue.

post-20675-1174931048_thumb.jpg

They also had this 300 Gallon version that seems more shallow and flat. comes in white, red, black, blue.

post-20675-1174931115_thumb.jpg

Any opinion on might be the best choice!!!

Cheers!

Wow---You at least have some choices. I set out to find what I am using---and I got lucky to find the exact brand. It took me a lot of searching and people saying, "You wha????" and looking at me like I was a madman.

If I had it to do over again---I might use a more shallow set up. There's wasted depth in my tubs--the vast darkness of what might be back there scares the hell outta me.

My tub is 30" deep, I think. It allows me to use depth as a light filter so I can keep all kinds of stuff in the same tub.

I think all of your choices are good ones---but don't get a white tub! Yuck!

Wow---You at least have some choices. I set out to find what I am using---and I got lucky to find the exact brand. It took me a lot of searching and people saying, "You wha????" and looking at me like I was a madman.

If I had it to do over again---I might use a more shallow set up. There's wasted depth in my tubs--the vast darkness of what might be back there scares the hell outta me.

My tub is 30" deep, I think. It allows me to use depth as a light filter so I can keep all kinds of stuff in the same tub.

I think all of your choices are good ones---but don't get a white tub! Yuck!

Ya! your right, white would be sick! I think I might go for the 300 Gallon shallow one. I will likely get it in blue and post some pics once I set it up!

That shallow one looks about as perfect as you could get for a frag setup. Like Mvite said the deeper parts seem to be wasted space.

I have ordered the 300 Gallon shallow version in blue. I just need to work on the pendant lights now. MVITE, look what you have started!!!! :lol: BTW, these tubs don't come in white, not sure where I saw that!

Here is the link to the MFG.

http://estore.websitepros.com/1355535/Cate...ks+%3E+Products

I wonder if I will need one pendant or two................ :huh:

I have ordered the 300 Gallon shallow version in blue. I just need to work on the pendant lights now. MVITE, look what you have started!!!! :lol: BTW, these tubs don't come in white, not sure where I saw that!

Here is the link to the MFG.

http://estore.websitepros.com/1355535/Cate...ks+%3E+Products

I wonder if I will need one pendant or two................ :huh:

Good for you!! Add another psycho to the ranks. We expect pictures!!

Start with one pendant and see where you go from there. I started with a 250 Icecap and added another as the money came along.

The money balancing act is wilder than ever today. I've got to try and save some cash. The INSTANT I make a $1 on coral, I spend .86 on coral. (Gotta budget the fees and taxes....)

SALINITY--Of course, you probably should have me personally inspect that tub, you know.

I hear Vancouver is da bomb!!

SALINITY--Of course, you probably should have me personally inspect that tub, you know.

I hear Vancouver is da bomb!!

:lol: I will post some pics for sure! I am super excited to get started! I will start with a 250w as per your advice! I just have to pic which K bulb I should start with.

As far as Vancouver....... yes it is "da bomb" the weather is mostly excellent except for lately, rain, rain, rain. Hardly ever see snow, a person can go from a beautiful beach in Vancouver to Whistler Blackcomb ski mountain in about 1 hour 45 mins. I would not live anywhere else in the world!

Here is a pic of my overcrowded nano........ ignore the dirty glass! I ran outa razor blades.

post-20675-1174960850_thumb.jpg

I am sure you can notice that my GSP is TOTALLY taking over this tank! I NEED my prop tank!

post-20675-1174961229_thumb.jpg

Wow--nice--

Once you get set up you won't know what you did without it. It gives you room to decide if you like something and switch it out and around.

I keep thinking that I am spending too much time with it---making frags, testing water, adjusting this-and-that....but when I think of taking a break--I realize I am addicted........

I put in about 12-14 hours on the "stuff" this weekend---easily.

As for K rating of the bulb--IMO you can't go wrong with a 14K just starting off.

As you grow (probably not for a few months to a year) you will add another light and can use a 10K or lower on it for growth and move the 14K to one side for "show" and use the other for "grow".

You could also do a 20K if you plan on keeping something that might like 20K later when you get another light.

Mvite,

Can you take a picture of the plumbing and how the two are connected together? I bought my tubs yesterday and I am pulling carpet out of my basement as I type. :D

Mvite,

Can you take a picture of the plumbing and how the two are connected together? I bought my tubs yesterday and I am pulling carpet out of my basement as I type. :D

SCHWEET!!!

I will--and it's a piece of cake. I raised one of the tubs up onto cinderblocks. Then I bought a basic overflow strainer from the LFS. I used a hole saw to cut the hole--put in the strainer (it's on an elbow so I can slightly change the water level), used silicone and let it cure for 24 hours--and all done! I will get some pics up later today!

SCHWEET!!!

I will--and it's a piece of cake. I raised one of the tubs up onto cinderblocks. Then I bought a basic overflow strainer from the LFS. I used a hole saw to cut the hole--put in the strainer (it's on an elbow so I can slightly change the water level), used silicone and let it cure for 24 hours--and all done! I will get some pics up later today!

Great! Thanks! :D

Sorry for the delay--things have been craaaazy!

Here are some pics of the simple plumbing. Again--the 110 is on the floor and the 55 is raised on cinderblocks. So--actually the 110 functions as the sump and the 55 is an upstream fuge. I went for almost a year with only the 110. I had a 20L attached that used to be my fuge. I got rid of that when I went with the reHUGium.

I have a powerhead as a return pump feeding the fuge.

This is the outside of the 55 feeding the 110.

IMG_1932.jpg

This is the inside of the 55--

IMG_1933.jpg

Now--You guys are gonna need to send me a special card or something for when I soon retire from this craziness. I want to be able to buy inexpensive coral when yous guys are big time.

Archived