Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

Yeah---that's just what I need to do--a DIY splash shield.....I can almost read the ambulance log already.....

Good to know that stuff about the blade. I think I will get one soon---unless I buy more coral on the way home from this work trip!!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sephroth_r1

i can do it for ya... they are easy.

lol or just run it without, and take out the blade before you work on one, doofus, haha

sephroth_r1

he's looking to do micros, cant really drill a micromussa... can you? lol it would be weird... hey free plugs tho w/the coral! *bwah ha*

Woo hoo!! Now I gotta save some cash since they are more than the other.

But as I read them--it sounds like there is a cutting "wire" that is coated with diamonds---as opposed to a blade. The "wire" would be great to fit in between the tiny divisions between heads of micros and acans....

That ring saw really looks like the ticket to me. Water-cooled, diamond blade, with the ability (I think, anyway) to easily cut between the individual coral polyps. I think you could parlay that into a selling point - I must say that I've always found it a bit disappointing when I've gotten LPS frags, yours and everyone elses, and the individual heads have been sawn through, in a straight line. I'm just sayin'...

Now if your acans and such were all sawn BETWEEN THE POLYPS, so that each frag contained only whole polyps with no mutilations, I'd think an enterprising man such as you could really play that up in your Ebay text. I think it would be an AWESOME selling point!

I am scourin' the net for those saws right now. What is the saying about money going like water??? I am using less water than money right now---I'll tell you that!! But those saws sure are pretty...and water-cooled.....

I notice that most people don't show pics of the actual frag--I was trying to leverage that, but it's impossible. A lot of people aren't doing WYSIWYG frags for micros and acans. They just show the mother colony and specify number of polyps.

I don't think I can use a saw on the mini-micros. The cell walls are literally hair thin. I have been cutting from the underside and then attempting to come up directly under the wall. I get micro up my nose all the time....

Maybe some reefer-dentist we all know could FIND you a used dental drill just lying around somewhere....

There is one on ebay right now for $60 :)

You could also use a dremel w/ the wand. Somewhat similar.

A new dental lab style drill will probably run you about $300.

An actual office drill is a bit more, usually because it has 2 drills, water and evacuation all in the same unit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dental-Drill-with-3-ha...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dental-Lab-Handpiece-e...1QQcmdZViewItem

^basically just a dremel w/ wand and foot pedel.

As Prop might say "AY YI YI" I have a problem.

I have 20 pounds of rubble and these plugs. What am I gonna do with all that????

IMG_0855.jpg

I have some ideas:

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg

Other than that---check out my progress.

Micros a-growin'

IMG_0882.jpg

Er1c-

Can you believe this is the purple tipped acro you sent me! I like this better!

IMG_0943.jpg

This turqouise-ish/blue stag is doing great and is approaching the rim!

IMG_0931.jpg

Monti confusa is starting to fuse!

IMG_0982.jpg

The m. undata is also!

IMG_0945.jpg

And the rainbow acans are starting to attach to the disc. They grew some new mouths as well.

IMG_0977.jpg

The orange crush's are walking along too.

IMG_0915.jpg

And....stupid me......I knocked a bunch of crusty old salt off of my skimmer a few weeks ago---and obviously some of the salt laid on my orange monti caps and killed them in spots!!! Can you see the white specks?

IMG_0952.jpg

Whoa--I almost forgot my Superman Monti Candy Buttons! We'll watch these for a few months.

IMG_0986.jpg

I forgot this frag as it sprawls---I want to compare this to the earlier pic. Probably not much different! Man does it grow slowly. I feed it every 2 days!!!

This was on Jan 20 2007

IMG_9744.jpg

This was today March 9 2007

IMG_0953.jpg

They all look great. I can't wait for some!!!

Send me some pics man! You can pick out what you want and I will put it aside and we can ship soon---the time is drawing near. :D

er1c_the_reefer

that's some amazing growth... my prop tank is up and sort of cycling. i just poured in a cup of pee to get it going. give me about 2 weeks and i'll be right there with you man!

that's some amazing growth... my prop tank is up and sort of cycling. i just poured in a cup of pee to get it going. give me about 2 weeks and i'll be right there with you man!

You didn't really put pee in there, did you?

er1c_the_reefer

no... but i remember a while back about someone doing it... and its supposed to work really well.

i tend to stick to damsel/chromis, pouring skimmate into the tank, or dead shrimp. but i guess pee would work just the same.

I was hoping you didn't do the pee thing. I did see that in a sig though!! :lol:

I made some new micro frags tonight and listed some grown stuff on ebay!

Look at some cool micros.

IMG_1141.jpg

IMG_1209.jpg

I meant to mention----I bought some P.E. Mysis tonight. WOW--They are like 60% protein versus the 10% of the Hikari I use now!!! The only difference is that they are a lot larger. They almost look like little cockroaches--yech....

My LPS just picked em up and swallowed them slowly---usually head or tail first. They are waaaaay too big to feed to micros--so I think I am gonna have to blend em up in a garage sale chopper.

Archived