Cultivated Reef

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

I got a new pendant---take a look---It's the bluer one on the right!

IMG_0004.jpg

Someone told me I needed 20K so I did. Look what it does!!

IMG_0007.jpg

Here's a recent SPS rack segment pic--

IMG_0012.jpg

This is like watching grass grow! But I just moved my existing rectangular pendant to the left and installed the new HQI pendant in it's place. I bought a lux meter and there is substantially more light coverage with this set up as opposed to the bell pendant I had been using.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do you actually MAKE money out of that?

If you ask my wife--well, no I don't actually make any money!!

But I do get to "play" with all kindsa corals and equipment...for hours and hours a day....

100% of my proceeds are re-invested in the Ecosystem...when I buy more coral!! :)

I have 2 Tuff Tub fiberglass livestock feeders. One 110 gallon (main) and one 55 gallon (fuge). I have 2 skimmers and a Ca Reactor--(2) 250W MH set ups and a triple T8 bulb set up over the 55 gallon fuge. The fuge lights are run semi-opposite of the main lighting.

I have 2 maxi-stream (MJ mods) powerheads, a 1000GPH pump run through a SCWD and a couple random powerheads placed where I need them. Lots and lots of chaeto and live sand in the fuge.

you would probably make money after a few years though as you don't smash the entire coral? even 1 cent is a profit IMO :)

I would love a frag system :)

Awesome setup mvite. One question...when you mount the Acros on their side, do you scrape off the tissue where you glue it or do you just glue and stick??

you would probably make money after a few years though as you don't smash the entire coral? even 1 cent is a profit IMO :)

I would love a frag system :)

It's a passion. For me--being able to turn something I really like into some things that other people REALLY LIKE---it's a great feeling.

I only auction it on ebay and trade A LOT---I don't have it together enough to actually "sell" it on a site or whatever. This doesn't pay the rent or feed my kids, by any means. But it does keep me busy with stuff I really really really really really enjoy. And it also allows me to have corals that I normally wouldn't buy. Those $200 acan lords are a big nut for any of us to drop. But when I think about getting a $30 piece of that same acan....well, that's more attainable. The way I look at it is that I "finance" coral and watch it for people....right? :) It's like the easy payment plan for sessile inverts.

I started with like $300 a while ago. Subtract YOUR TIME, ebay and Paypal fees, shipping bags, styrofoam, rubber bands, packing tape, heat packs, frag plugs, time to build boxes (never ending task), AND TAXES.....well, I won't be quitting my day job any time soon.

Edit: don't forget about the endless time spent dying--and begging--for a decent coral supplier who will consistently treat you right.

I wish more of us could do it---It would strengthen our aquacultured market and knowledge of husbandry, it would drive supply WAY UP and guess what that would do to prices for us?!!

Awesome setup mvite. One question...when you mount the Acros on their side, do you scrape off the tissue where you glue it or do you just glue and stick??

Hey thanks!

You know, I have sorta done both and I don't note any difference in growth. I never scraped it off though. I have split limbs in half---lengthwise---and that works well. I haven't ever gone through the trouble of scraping the tissue off. If you can split a limb lengthwise and then snap each of those in half--you can get 4 frags of a limb....but Acro frickin stinks----If a fish could be "milked" it would smell like acro. "ACK"RO. Acro is one of the reasons why my hand eternally stinks....no joke!!!

Burn it up buba !!

Hey thanks buddy---I learned from watching you!!

(and your sig banner is kinda girlie....) :mellow:

Alright well I ground out a couple more....pics tomorrow.

In talking to pookstreet and seeing how's he just got skeerewed by GuitarGod over a piece of our Agent Orange Acan Echinata---made me wanna "trim" mine a little. I made about 4-5 small frags--a couple mouths each---but um....notsogood. The acan was growing a skirt around it and I trimmed the skirt. All the frags are slightly curved.

Here's mom:

IMG_9759.jpg

I also cut three one head frags of what I used to call Superman acan lord--but it's not blue any more.

Here's mom lord:

IMG_9726.jpg

I also made my first micromussa frags. Man those are tough and tiny! I will definitely get pics up tomorrow.

The SPS are growing fantastically. Most of the frags have started to naturally attach to the base--some have even gone farther than that. The blue stags and all of Er1c's stuff is starting new buds. My slimers are bustin' ass---they have orange tips that are kickin!

I moved the 10K rectangular pendant to cover all the SPS. (I checked with the light meter.)

Does anyone have any recommendations on how I might be able to get more square footage out of my racks? I have a decent amount of SPS that I want to BLAST with light--and I'd like to get more. I don't really have any room right now as the right side is 20K. I was thinking of expanding on the left---maybe with some hanging shelves? I dunno---all my thoughts are the same ones----GIMME SOME FRESH IDEAS BABAY!

I will get some pics up tomorrow. Right now I am feeding the frags with cyclopeez! Woo hoo--Friday night!! :lol:

The Propagator

Ok I have two acans on THICK bases.

I cant dremel them. but I realy do want to frag them to grow out and sell off.

I know you have told me you score yours on both sides, but what do you do when your looking a 3+ inches thick of rock on certain places?

Until now I have gotten lucky and found thin spread out peices.

I have an Acan Subench, and an acan enchino that will break and obliterate its self if I try to "cut and pry" You know what I mean.

They wilh litteraly split right down the center of every polyp about 1/4" wide every where I try to pry if I dont cutt completely through the rock they are on.

Band saw ? tile saw ?

Share your wisdom Obe Wan !!!

:haha:

"D"

BTW tell these folks the truth, your the one who showed ME the ropes on Ebay. I was small time until you showed me how to do it right.

;)

OHHhhh and as for the racks... teer them. ;)

That way you can keep lower light corals, or corals your acclimating to the stronger light in the same tank under a teer and slowly move them out.

I usaly make my racks 3 teers high and I utelize the aragonite bed for acclimation.

In your case I would cut them to fit the sides of the tubs and make racks 3 teers high and only for one side, on top of your existing egg crate. ( IE only covering 180 degrees of the tubs radius)

Use pieces of the egg crate its self to form the supports on the sides ( IE left right and back)

Then all you have to do is set it on top of what you have now.

It sounds way more complicated then it is.

Or I just have a knack for complicating extremel simple ideas LOL!

That may be why I work for my self now? :haha:

Since you use plugs and not tiles Light will be able to peak around the plugs and hit any mushrooms, other lower light corals, or those who you may be acclimating.

Stacking up , versus laying flat is ALWAYS a better plan for more surface area.

acans on THICK bases.

I would still score them from both sides as deeply as you can and then WHACK! I have had nearly round pieces--and they are difficult. Once you cut them like that---you will probably bust up a couple mouths. They grow right down the side of the piece in no time--as you know.

I bought some cheapo cutting chisels. They seem to cut with a sharp blow alone--I thing you are doing it like I would.

BTW tell these folks the truth, your the one who showed ME the ropes on Ebay. I was small time until you showed me how to do it right.

;)

I am addicted to selling stuff on ebay. Before coral, it was everything in my house that wasn't nailed down. It's very fun.

OHHhhh and as for the racks... teer them. ;)

I have two large tiers--I will post pics. The lower tiers have been for LPS and ricordea. I'm all messed up!!!

I agree with mvite about the Acans. I just fragged one the other day that was much thicker than previous ones. Even after I scored it as far as I could on both sides it wasn't enough. I used some VERY stong shears to finish the job but damn near broke my finger once it went through I was squeezing so hard. A chisel would be a better option.

Bandsaw is the answer and the way the pros do it. Good investment if you do a lot of fragging of thick skeleton corals like Acans or Micros. Don't need a fancy one, any cheap <$100 ones at HD, Lowes, or Harbor Freight Tools will do. Just make sure you get the narrowest blade possible to minimize tissue damage and to cut around the polyps as much as possible.

Bandsaw is the answer and the way the pros do it. Good investment if you do a lot of fragging of thick skeleton corals like Acans or Micros. Don't need a fancy one, any cheap <$100 ones at HD, Lowes, or Harbor Freight Tools will do. Just make sure you get the narrowest blade possible to minimize tissue damage and to cut around the polyps as much as possible.

Hey pook---thanks! What kinda blade?

Between last night and this afternoon, I made some small frags of my real Orange Crush acan--me and pook split it from Fragfarmers. I also fragged some micros. The LPS pics are under 20K so these pics are a little...eh....

IMG_0193.jpg

I don't think I'm going to be able to wait to list this one on ebay. It ate great tonight. There are quite a few mouths on it.

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

Here's a nice one too--

IMG_0221.jpg

Here's a micro frag-

IMG_0248.jpg

After I fragged the acans, I decided to try and place them on plates of sand to see if they would grow outward on the sand as they grow. The way I had them before, the acans would just spread down the face of the rock. We'll see.

IMG_0186.jpg

And for the last LPS shot for now--check out this amazing pink chalice I got from pookstreet about a year ago. He said it was "so pink" that I "would crap my pants". I'm starting to feel a rumble..

IMG_0188.jpg.... :)

Ok now for an SPS update!

IMG_0167.jpg

The slimers are kickin butt! They are all fused and starting to branch.

IMG_0171.jpg

The blue stags are fusing and branching as well-

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

That's all for now! It's only been a couple weeks!

thanks for looking.

The Propagator

Mark if you dont turn a real profit this time with all those nice acros, and LPS I am going to come to your house and pimp smack you personaly !

your sitting on a gold mine my friend. ( even with what ever you have already paid for it and have to tack on to cover)

Most of what you have is HIGHLY sought after right now brother.

wow, so freakin cool....... makes me wish i had money to do something like that!

I started it all with $300 and an existing MH light set up. It's been a gradual process---YOU CAN DO IT!!

mvite -

Your prop system is da bomb!! B)

Stan

Thank you very much!!

Mark if you dont turn a real profit this time with all those nice acros, and LPS I am going to come to your house and pimp smack you personaly !

your sitting on a gold mine my friend. ( even with what ever you have already paid for it and have to tack on to cover)

Most of what you have is HIGHLY sought after right now brother.

I think it's like you and I have seen. Sometimes a great acro will go for $40 and you'll be happy (and it probably sold for more than it should have anyway.) But then the next week--a piece that me or you may think is better will sell for $8 because the person who was willing to spend $40 already bid last week.

I am going to wait on SPS until the Spring. I killed a Superman monti in shipping a couple weeks ago and now I'm all freaked out to ship SPS for a while! :lol:

Very cool, brother - very impressive!

Thanks M! I hope you are doing well--keep taggin along--I would like to put pics of me making the cuts--but have been having trouble with the flying muck and handling a camera and such!! :lol:

Awesome Mvite...

Wait till spring and let them grow a little more

I WILL purchase one of everything for a hook me up Reefer :D

Izzue

Thanks buddy--by that time your prop tank will be kickin so we can trade some stuff! I would rather trade with "family"!!

I would rather trade with "family"!!

Your on... Im gonna start getting you one of everthing I have...some are real

basic...but none the less "Aquacultured"

Gonna need some advice on cutting up a 5 inch cross when happy Yellow Toadstoal.

Im gonna start a new thread with pics for help...My 10 gallon softee needs bout 2

more weeks for a good cycle...cant wait B)

Izzue

Gotta give props to the prop system.

For the bandsaw blade, get the narrowest one available so you can make turns easier.

And for the last LPS shot for now--check out this amazing pink chalice I got from pookstreet about a year ago. He said it was "so pink" that I "would crap my pants". I'm starting to feel a rumble..

IMG_0188.jpg.... :)

Man, that chalice looks nice. How big is it now? May have to beg for a frag down the road. Lost my piece when my tank crashed last year ;)

Man, that chalice looks nice. How big is it now? May have to beg for a frag down the road. Lost my piece when my tank crashed last year ;)

Thanks buddy! The chalice is soooo pink--the 20K really muted it. The piece is about 2" around---I had it in my display but I just moved it to the prop tank because I went SPS and clams only in my display---I can pay more attention to it now.

It's incredible--

IM BACK!!!! DUDE! i gotta come over and see this sometime. plus, i think i have some nice zoos you might wanna sit in the prop tank for a while. ring of fire, and some amazing color that just popped up from no where in the corner of my tank after my move to McKees.

Wondering if i could help you, you help me, and set them in the prop tank and let them go crazy for a bit... then frag and keep a mother colony. i know my RoF's are a good click for cash.

just an idea. hit me back with a pm, bro.

You know who.

The Propagator

Mark,

Dont ship your sps "dry" and you will eliminate higher die off risks.

Dont wrap them in paper towels either. They slime into the towel , the towels fibers absorb the slime, and stick to the coral smothering it in the bag.

That method is fine for most LPS, and most softies though.

Just be sure to place enough water inside the bag to completely emerse the sps frags and your set.

I have lost didigtatas and acros using the towel method :(

But since I have been using these breather bags I have only lost 2 corals inside of 5 months.

:)

Archived