Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

Breather bag AKA fill the special bag completly full of water and the o2 and co2 are able to pass between the bag lol and there SUPER REUSABLE there stretchys

plus i know i gave Prop like a lb of tiny rubber bands haha

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
very nice fras mvite, maybe we can trade some sps sometime :)

You bet buddy! I have been waiting and waiting!

Hey Prop---I will try no paper towel for the sps next time.

My problem with the Supa-man was that I used 2 heat packs because it was UPS Ground "in-state" and I figued it had been so cold I would use two heat packs. (It was just one frag and maybe a cup of water. I put one heat pack in contact with the frag's bag and the other laying in the box. The guy who received it said the water was over 80 degrees when received. It was white as chalk. It hurt to see that pic......

they all look nice..I dont have the lighting for SPS though..Or I would come check the stuff out.

Maybe I can bring this piece of rock over I have covered in Zoa's and can frag it..I am a little iffy about doing it myself...there are like 200 or so polyps on it.

IMG_1335.jpg

The Propagator

Just take some snips to it. your going to lose a few polypws no matte rhwat you do so just remember that ;)

BUT they grow back like weeds soits no biggy.

Mark I fragged that FAT subecinata I was telling you about, and I have it on Ebay LOL!!!

I didnt bash it though and the only tissue sI lost was where the dremel hit it. I scored it on both sides as far as I could then took my pointed side cutters to it from the bottom side and snipped away chunks till it was free.

Made three nice little frags so far and the rest of the colony isnt damaged at all ( YET) LOL!!

It took a little time ( cause I am anal) but it went fairly smooth.( only dropped it twice too LOL!!)

( only dropped it twice too LOL!!)

If I had a buck for every time I dropped the damn coral before/during/after fraggin'---I would be a hundredaire!!

Someone suggested that I drip tank water on the areas I am cutting just to keep it cool--to keep the tissue from dying at the cutting area. I was a little afraid of ELECTROCUTING myself--so I didn't do it when I fragged some micros. The guy suggested the water drip for cutting micros--but they seem fine.

I'm gonna check out your sub right now!!!

I took a hacksaw to my rock of zoas lastnight and chopped it into 5 pieces. Was pretty easy as the tonga rock broke about half way through cutting.

Not trying to hijack mvite, but DAMN Propagator that is one SICK Acanthastrea.

No worries! I am a hijacker at heart---do what you would like in my threads.

Nugz, I think we need to trade. You got the LPS addiction too!!

Prop--are you sure you would call that a sub? I bought something similiar from a sponsor who called it "Hillae". Either way---it's sweet. My prediction--$45!

I have D on my favorite sellers.... :wub:

Me too. And you as well M. But more just so I can check out what you guys are pimpin', I'm too poor to buy corals on ebay at the moment.

Good work guys!

The Propagator
No worries! I am a hijacker at heart---do what you would like in my threads.

Nugz, I think we need to trade. You got the LPS addiction too!!

Prop--are you sure you would call that a sub? I bought something similiar from a sponsor who called it "Hillae". Either way---it's sweet. My prediction--$45!

I have D on my favorite sellers.... :wub:

Who knows. I know for sure its an Acan though LOL!!!

No seriously I thought it might be a Hilea but I didnt want to put that down and be mistaken.

some one would have bid it up astronomicly then acussed me of lying if thats not what it was ya know. :(

mvite- that sounds like a plan. I'd rather not ship until it gets warmer though just to be safe. We'll get up in the spring though.

Prop- Better safe than sorry. Although, I really don't think anyone would be able to complain about any of your stuff. It's all top quality.

We'll wait for the thaw---We're fairly close too.

I wanna go and buy a bandsaw this weekend!!! Really!

I know pookstreet said to get a thin blade--but does anyone know the compromise between strong blades and thickness?

Aren't there special blades/saws to cut through stone like that? I know people use bandsaws to butcher their own deer around here (basements like "Bloodsucking Freaks"--I've been in em). But I have to think cutting LR and coral skeleton can put a blade through more abuse than a deer carcass would.

Anyone have suggestions before I go and buy one that blows up in my face?

I saw a good lookin one on a blog by Jendub--but it looked like a wetsaw or a modified bandsaw.

C'mon---anyone have any suggestions on how I can get one?

Anyone have suggestions before I go and buy one that blows up in my face?

I saw a good lookin one on a blog by Jendub--but it looked like a wetsaw or a modified bandsaw.

C'mon---anyone have any suggestions on how I can get one?

I would think a wetsaw would be excellent, but probably mucho dinaro. And you had better be wearing goggles while using any bandsaw - voice of experience.

I wanna go and buy a bandsaw this weekend!!! Really!

I know pookstreet said to get a thin blade--but does anyone know the compromise between strong blades and thickness?

Dude, I said "NARROW" blade, not thin blade ;)

They are all about the same thickness. The narrower blades allow you to make turns easier. The wider blades are good for cutting straight. I would think a 1/4" blade would be good for fragging purposes. Just try to imagine making a tight round cut with a 1/4" blade vs. a 1" blade. Comprende???

The Propagator

You can get a 7" wet tile saw for WELL UNDER $150.00 from Harbor frieght. ( IF you want a wet saw)

If I were getting a band saw I would get on emade for meat cutting specificly.

They dont just have different blades.

They have buffers and tensioners in the right spot to keep the blade clean.

If I were you I would buy a crap arse cheap band saw though with some extra blades.

DO NOT BUY METAL CUTTING BLADES. The fine teeth will be history in less that 30 seconds from the rock.

Use a multi blade, or a wood blade.

"Dude, I said "NARROW" blade, not thin blade"

Thinner is easier to navigate but thicker is safer. Narrower, same thing. ;)

You can get a decent 5-8" bandsaw from Lowes or Home Depot from $99 to $150.00 I think.

Dude, I said "NARROW" blade, not thin blade ;)

Comprende???

Now I do! I was thinking I had to squeeze it in between the thin walls.

I wanna cut that Superman some more!! It's already grown two new small heads on the mother. That's why this is so addicting.

Call me crazy but I like to see 15 small 3-5 head clusters of acans growing rather than a big slab of 100 heads.

If I were you I would buy a crap arse cheap band saw though with some extra blades.

DO NOT BUY METAL CUTTING BLADES. The fine teeth will be history in less that 30 seconds from the rock.

I think that's the ticket!

If I have any money left from buying coral from Socal today....

• 2 weeks later...

I am addicted to frag plugs and discs. I can't stop grinding away at my acans. I also made about 20 micro frags for ebay. I am headed out of town for a week starting tomorrow.

I will take some update pics. I really am obsessed with seeing one or two mouths of acan stuck to the white frag disc!!!!! I chopped up all kindsa my LPS.

I made some psychedelic chalice frags, micro frags, acan lord frags--some more acro frags!!! I can't stop.

Look for pics tonight--hopefully. After I drop off both dogs and pack some luggage.

My opinion on the blades. If you get a metal blade, yea, your gonna go through them quicker, but you wont have as much wasted coral bits. and for the price of sheetmetal blades, pfft, id do that. they sell small bandsaws for a toolbench which would be perfect for your situation. check home depot for a husky brand. LIFETIME WARRANTY!

I took A LOT OF PICS!! Here they are!

This is a pic of many of the micromussa frags I have made over the past weeks.

IMG_0346.jpg

These are some close ups--starting with a larger frag. These babies eat cyclops like craaaaazy!

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

Here is a sweet red acan lord that I couldn't resist slicin a bit...

IMG_0348.jpg

Here are the Orange Crush acan frags from a few weeks ago. I feed them almost every day---but they grow slow.

IMG_0354.jpg

Here's a great piece that shows the pink mouth. There is another mouth started on the side.

IMG_0355.jpg

Here is a rainbow acan echinata I got from pookstreet a while back. I just had to cut it.

IMG_0360.jpg

Most of my montis

IMG_0362.jpg

I cut up some m. confusa that has been growing really well for me and mounted them on plugs to see how they will do.

IMG_0364.jpg

Here's some grape m. undata

IMG_0363.jpg

Also, I finally found a frag plug I like!!! I took the larger piece and carved out egg crate sized pieces with my Dremel. Now I will wait for them to encrust and grow down the sides---and ebay will love it!

IMG_0366.jpg

This is a piece of Er1c's purple rimmed green monti cap. Getting ready to cover the plug!!

IMG_0368.jpg

The chartreuse m. digitata has started to "drip" down the sides...Just like every good monti.

IMG_0370.jpg

And some elkhorn montis

IMG_0376.jpg

One more m. undata money shot!

IMG_0373.jpg

Here's the blue stag acro frag I have been showing. It's still showing some nice growth and a new "sprout" from the base. It still hasn't encrusted the base. Soon though!!

IMG_0372.jpg

The slimers are looking fantastic. All of them have new buds.

IMG_0377.jpg

This piece amazes me--talk about resilience. This was the base of the slimer colony that I sliced and diced. Look at the new growth!!!

IMG_0378.jpg

Now these are just some nice pieces that I am growing:

This is Er1c's sunset monti

IMG_0379.jpg

This is a pastel acan lord

IMG_0381.jpg

And this is Er1c's alien eye echino that I got about a year ago. Still too small to frag--even for me! :)

IMG_0383.jpg

Thanks guys!

This tub has been set up about a year and a half if I can remember correctly.

I have always fragged stuff to trade--but in the last year and a half---I have had more space. My main tanks usually looked like a bomb went off in them. This has allowed me to keep my display tank for display only.

Damn bro...give me 30 seconds in that tank and I'd be a happy camper. :)

You heard me say we gotta trade---so when the weather breaks---have at it! I can sell on ebay--easily. But I would rather trade for other LPS I don't have.

Do you see how many micros I have there? :) :)

I'm just waitin for the weather to get nice consistently---and BABOOM! Ebay here I come!

Archived