inTank Media Baskets

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

which bandsaw did you get?

A 9" Ryobi from Home Depot--real basic.

Yao! How are the frags doing? Hope you didn't lose the cap or sold it already..........

They are all lookin good!! The chile pepper acan is relaxed and looking great. I may have it too close to the light because the red has lightened slightly.

The chalices are good too. The one pale colored bumpy one is getting more pale--but it's still fleshy.

The cap is hangin in there. I see pink polyps and the piece is rounded as if it has grown a little in the past weeks. Almost big enough for me to frag a few times.... ;)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They are all lookin good!! The chile pepper acan is relaxed and looking great. I may have it too close to the light because the red has lightened slightly.

The chalices are good too. The one pale colored bumpy one is getting more pale--but it's still fleshy.

The cap is hangin in there. I see pink polyps and the piece is rounded as if it has grown a little in the past weeks. Almost big enough for me to frag a few times.... ;)

I have the lord pretty high up but it's only a 150W Phoenix. It should be a dark bright red when happy. Also keep the cap under moderate light if you want the green body. Higher lighting will turn it almost a pale blue color. Weird.

Damn I hate this reef stuff. I swear I would give it up. I am having one of those PITA times.

I was away for a couple days--and when I got back--

-I lost an entire slab of acans---one of the new ones---mostly bleached. There was some tissue---but I just tossed the whole thing.

-Then I ran out of CO2 again!! I had to go halfway across the world to get a refill. The only thing that worked out was that I was able to get a 20lb tank for $13. Yahoo.

I am considering reconfiguring some stuff. I would really like to have two flat--stock tanks---that spill into one common sump--maybe a 55 tub like I have. I would have one of the stock tanks be for SPS and one for LPS. I have the two pendants. I just don't need all these gallons---and I am getting tired of the hassles involved.

sephroth_r1

Ouch.... um... teach the wife how to do it.

btw, those acans i got from you are going crazy. Ive got new mouths all over the place, and the enchinita is like a freaking ballon! lol

would the enchinita, with supplimental feeding, be fine under PC?

Damn I hate this reef stuff. I swear I would give it up. I am having one of those PITA times.

I was away for a couple days--and when I got back--

-I lost an entire slab of acans---one of the new ones---mostly bleached. There was some tissue---but I just tossed the whole thing.

-Then I ran out of CO2 again!! I had to go halfway across the world to get a refill. The only thing that worked out was that I was able to get a 20lb tank for $13. Yahoo.

I am considering reconfiguring some stuff. I would really like to have two flat--stock tanks---that spill into one common sump--maybe a 55 tub like I have. I would have one of the stock tanks be for SPS and one for LPS. I have the two pendants. I just don't need all these gallons---and I am getting tired of the hassles involved.

What SPS are you growing don't they typically prefer pristine water whereas the LPS like a bit of funk?

Thats something i was wondering myself i was really liking the look of a few acro's i have come across but wondered about water quality with having 90% LPS

What SPS are you growing don't they typically prefer pristine water whereas the LPS like a bit of funk?

Thats something i was wondering myself i was really liking the look of a few acro's i have come across but wondered about water quality with having 90% LPS

Most of my montis and acros seem to do ok with the mix I have now. I try to keep things "clean" but I feed a lot. Less lately.

My best success have been deeply aquacultured varieties---meaning I get them from other hobbyists who got them from other hobbyists....etc.

I forgot to add in my last post that my angst had also grown from nearly 80% of my newest blue/gray acro frags died. That's $95---GONE--and never to be recouped. See folks---the life of a coral fragger isn't all the glamour you would expect. :(

er1c_the_reefer

ooh lordy, troubles so hard

ooh lordy, my troubles so hard

don't nobody know my troubles with lords

don't nobody know my troubles with lords

how much co2 are you going through m? i have a 10# tank and that's supposed to last about 9 months i think

would the enchinita, with supplimental feeding, be fine under PC?

Definitely---no sweat. I am glad they are doing well.

fraggin aint easy... :lol:

That's what I'm sayin'! When everyone thinks of the life of a coral fragger--well--I must admit--it's a pretty glitzy lifestyle--except for the coral death, stench of my hands and frequent showering. :)

how much co2 are you going through m? i have a 10# tank and that's supposed to last about 9 months i think

I had a 10# last me about 6 months first---through two different reactors and lotsa fussin'. And then I got it refilled a month ago---and I only use it 12 hours a day!!! I think the dude at the beer store didn't fill it all the way last time. I will see now. I expect a 20# to last me 6 months---AT LEAST!!! (I hope.)

That's no good man. Keep your head up...you've still got a ton of badass corals.

Thanks man. I just need to buy some cool coral or something to get through it.

I won some on ebay---so I may get better on Tuesday.....

er1c_the_reefer
That's what I'm sayin'! When everyone thinks of the life of a coral fragger--well--I must admit--it's a pretty glitzy lifestyle--except for the coral death, stench of my hands and frequent showering. :)

i got problems up to here

i've got people in my ear

telling me these crazy things

that i don't want to know...

the glamorous. glamorous

i dunno, the smell of acro kind of turns me on... :lol:

i got problems up to here

i've got people in my ear

telling me these crazy things

that i don't want to know...

the glamorous. glamorous

i dunno, the smell of acro kind of turns me on... :lol:

*Whisper* "you want to send Rage some Erics_palys"

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Sup Vite :D

Finally took the 59.99 tile saw from HF out of the box Friday.

Hacked up a bunch of tango branch for plugs and some corals B)

Me liked a lot...I took the guard off and wore a protection gown (lab coat)

eye protection is a must without shield...kept a couple of wash cloths handy to

box the spray area to catch some water. Very easy to use...does have a larger cutting width than dremel...but to save that much time by making one easy wack...Ill trade :D

Izzue

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Iz! You motivated me to get my saws-a-buzzin as well. The tile saw cuts live rock like butta---unbelievably easy.

As for the band saw---that works well on acan skeletons---but not as well if there is a lot of rock underneath. What I did was kinda thin out the rock under the acan with the tile saw and then cut through the coral with the band saw.

I can't use any one saw for all purposes---but I think having a tile saw, band saw and dremel in my arsenal is helpful. I'm definitely going to have to get a ring saw some day. Right now--I am broke as hell. I have spent $1300 on coral in the last 2 weeks---and all of it could fit in a 10"x10" box together!!!!

I have had some die off with some expensive acans---but I stopped it before it got real bad. All in all---I am happy--but I gots some growin' to do to make some of that money back.

LOL! There is some that are paid for and on the way--but as for recent micros and acans--

I have about 3/4 of this that made it.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

These micro pics suck---but they had just come in and I snapped em.

IMG_3685.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

And like I said---I have some more on the way from 2 different peeps....

modularduck

I love the smell of rotory tool in the morning.

That new stuff is super nice M!

I love the smell of rotory tool in the morning.

That new stuff is super nice M!

Well thank you M!

I encounter new smells every day. I used to gag---but not any more. I had to strike that cuz I don't want it showing up in a sig somewhere.

Thanks guys---I just don't know where I'm at with this stuff any more.

Work has become pretty busy---damn work!!!

I started to sell off a lot of my SPS with the hopes of staying with montis, zoas and LPS. That's pretty general---but I got into the acro there for a while---and now I gotta thin it out. Some of the things that I have been "neglecting" have grown like weeds.

I have held an acro for a paid ebay customer for 4 weeks---It was a covered plug at the time of purchase and it has 8 branches now!!! My set up is really hitting its groove and I think that acros don't belong with the heavily fed LPS that I am enjoying right now.

The micros and stuff are going to be for "personal use"---I think I can have a couple grams on me..... :) They are just so small----I am having trouble making confident cuts on $40-$80 a head LPS. I'm gonna keep selling SPS on ebay like mad---and then use that money to buy more LPS!!! (and a bottom level ring saw too.)

And trading them all to ENraged muhahahah :bowdown:

Never got in to SPS but i do love the looks of some of the stylo i have seem and some of those Tricolor Rainbow Acropora.

Eh----well------

I got a little anxious to frag the micros and gave it a shot last night.

Snow Blind did ok

Sour Apples did ok

Teaser did ok

BlackJack----well that's another story altogether.......

I destroyed at least 1 full head. When I glued that head to a frag plug---current blew it away like snotty mucous. That one is gone forever. As for the other Blackjacks---they were growing so tight--I couldn't really get a good cut angle. I hacked em up pretty good. I was only able to cut it into 2 frags for now with the hopes that some of the teeny tiny polyps will grow in a way I can snip em.

There really isn't one frag (out of about 10) that I am happy with. I need a different tool---I used a combo of the Dremel, surgical scissors and a razor. Nothing felt comfortable. The sh!t is so small....

You need two free hands with them.. put them in the bench-vise and have at them it works great. if i can frag them with zero loss then i know you can do even better.. We have faith in ya.

Once i get my stuff set up home I will make a video of slicing some micros for the hell of it. might be fun.

Eh----well------

I got a little anxious to frag the micros and gave it a shot last night.

Snow Blind did ok

Sour Apples did ok

Teaser did ok

BlackJack----well that's another story altogether.......

I destroyed at least 1 full head. When I glued that head to a frag plug---current blew it away like snotty mucous. That one is gone forever. As for the other Blackjacks---they were growing so tight--I couldn't really get a good cut angle. I hacked em up pretty good. I was only able to cut it into 2 frags for now with the hopes that some of the teeny tiny polyps will grow in a way I can snip em.

There really isn't one frag (out of about 10) that I am happy with. I need a different tool---I used a combo of the Dremel, surgical scissors and a razor. Nothing felt comfortable. The sh!t is so small....

Archived