Pod Your Reef

Party at my place--BYOD-Bring your own Dremel!

mvite

I still stand by my last post of me wanted to come visit and see this in person. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it, and now i miss it so, lol

BTW, pm me a price for a slimer.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

I hate you Mark.

:haha:

Now I will have to try and up stage you.

I am off to HD this comming weekend to get a couple 100g tubs damn it !

YES!! YOU BOTH DO!!

I am never going to become rich and famous via my basement ocean----so----what I need as a hobbyist---is a better selection of healthy AND AFFORDABLE coral. We ain't gonna do that by buying all of our stuff from some LFS or online bandit seller----WE CAN ONLY DO IT TOGETHER!!!

I expect to see both of you upstage me veddy soon!!

And HD doesn't have those tubs. They were hard to find until I started looking in the right spots!! If you want tubs like this--LOOK IN FARM AND TRACTOR SUPPLY STORES!! They are called "Tuff Tubs". Get some--I have a 110 and a 55!!

GO GET SOME BOYS AND GIRLS!!!

Edit: I added affordable. :)

I'm going to Disney--Talk to you guys in a week. My wife won't let me bring my lappy----so no NR! :o

I'm going to Disney--Talk to you guys in a week. My wife won't let me bring my lappy----so no NR! :o

She's a smart girl! Have a good time with your kids.

mvite- Be safe.

Prop, er1c, sephroth- We should go "check on" his tank while he's gone. It seems like the noble thing to do. ;)

TO THE VAN!!! *cue adam west voice* someone is stealing his water...

mvite-be safe and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

It's my new German-born Calcium reactor!! I get to bolt that baby to my wall!!

Bye bye MRC Reactor! :happydance:

I have been having some struggles maintaining an outflow in my current Ca reactor, a "My Reef Creations" unit. I just got back from vacation and had more problems with the old unit---so I bit the bullet and bought something that should last. This unit is rated for up to 700 gallons, so it should allow me to use it anywhere I plan on---in my home. I also got the new "large size" reactor media. We shall see what happens....

The problem is that the feed pump has to be reduced from the outflow of a MJ 1200 powerhead down to a small plastic RO tube. I am headed to Home Depot, but I'm not optimistic. I am gonna have to rig something up.

Looks like someone has more money than the rest of us nano reefers. Nice score. I am getting rid of my MRC also. Just picked up a used GEO 618 reverse flow reactor. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's easier to dial in. I am having the same issue as you right now with the feed pump tubing. I think you can get a JG fitting with the threaded end and just hook up to the MJ output with vinyl tubing. At least that's what I am thinking.

Well it's all bolted to the wall---and started--but---I am having the normal "How the hell do I do this?" problems. The thing is bubbling like a concoction--and I hadn't even started the CO2 yet.

The instructions are pretty tough--they don't go over a lot.

The probe insertion point is causing me some heartburn too, as it percolates outta there.

Tubs are $55!! Go get one now!!!

The guy at Home Depot hooked me up with the reducer!!

But this thing churns out some serious water. The instructions say to only run CO2 for half the day since it's such a high output.

So what if it will be snowin' in my tank!!

Well.....That wasn't without it's share of challenges, but I got it going now.

After I had it all bolted to the concrete walls, I noticed that it was sucking a ton of air when it was running. Only then did I notice that the output of the reactor should be above the reactor itself. That presented a challenge--as it's mounted to a board!!

I placed it below my sump--and now I have it running nicely. We'll see if it maintains effluent pressure. I don't want to turn it down too low, as I have read this is where this unit will have problems.

I closed the gate valve because I couldn't figure out how to get the probe installed correctly. There is a 35 page thread on the reactor on RC--I am on page 7........

Lastly--Don't cha hate it when you are tightening a plastic bolt on a $500 tube and all of the sudden you hear----CRACK!!!?? Yeah, I effin overtightened it. It's just the media cartridge--and there's no leaks---but I can see the crack in the flange. I am an a-hole.

Lastly--Don't cha hate it when you are tightening a plastic bolt on a $500 tube and all of the sudden you hear----CRACK!!!?? Yeah, I effin overtightened it. It's just the media cartridge--and there's no leaks---but I can see the crack in the flange. I am an a-hole.

If it's the female, plastic half that has cracked, you can try backing out the male half and then putting a stainless steel hose clamp around the female half and bring it just to "tight", to close and reinforce the crack. Kapish? Then reinsert male half. I've had to do that when mating galv. steel plumbing to PVC. Learned the hard way to never mate male steel end into female PVC end; it will invariably crack.

If the above won't work, maybe at least it can get you thinking about a fix that will.

Hey thanks!

I am all thumbs.... The good thing is that it seems to only be a superficial crack. The plastic screws are all still fine--but there's one part that flares out to create a space for the screw---that flange is what must have bowed--and I see the hairline--but it's not the cylinder thank goodness.

Now I am trying to figure out how to get the ph probe inserted....I mean now I am working and will have to try to figure that out off of work hours. :)

Yo m, can you post a pic of the reducer from the MJ feed pump to the the RO tubing for the reactor? I need to get one too. Thanks bro.

Certainly pook!

IMG_0649.jpg

From left to right--you see--(Quick connect male adapter 1/4"OD x 1/2"MIP, then a 1/2 inch double female threaded PVC coupler, then 3/8" CTS x 1/2"MPT) The 3/8" push connect fits beautifully onto a MJ1200 output nozzle. I got all these at Lowe's.

I also got the pieces for the ph probe--and we are all fired up! Reactor ph is down to 6.5---The manual says to take it down to 6.2---but sheesh!!

Sweet. Thanks m. There's a Lowe's just a few miles from my house. Looks like I'll be swapping out my MRC this weekend. Most of us have to work during the week, not like you :D

Can we see detailed shots of your system. I'm looking to upgrade my prop system with these tubs. Thanks. You have some nice stuff, solid!

I have some--but the system is sorta "flat" so it's hard to detail.

Here goes:

I started with a single 110 gallon Tuff Tub

75 pounds of LR

75 pounds of really clean "base" rock--(my 1st ever nano trade--thanks cheelo!!)

Coralife Super Skimmer 220 (Awesome propped up on cinderblocks to mimic a hang on application)

250W heater

250W Icecap MH set up

800GPH pump, run through a SCWD

2 Maxi-Jet Mod pumps (1800GPH?)

tons of expensive eggcrate

pipe rack tiers

IMG_0650-1.jpg

I like the tubs because you can drill into the lip and hang equipment and such with zip ties.

As time went on--I added a 55 gallon tub refugium. In the fuge, I have a 10" aragonite sand bed. I also grow tons of chaeto with an Icecap 660 ballast that powers (3)T8 Zoo Med Tropic Sun bulbs. I don't run the light 24 hours--but I run it a long time because of the Ca Reactor and it's affect on ph. The lit fuge helps raise the ph--A LOT!!

IMG_0653.jpg

I have both of the Maxi Streams aiming in the same direction--one goes behind the rock and one in front. The SCWD outputs aim at each other--on the top tier.

IMG_0668-1.jpg

This scares me!!

IMG_0671-1.jpg

While we're down here----check out some growth!! Some of the slimers are "dripping" over the edge!!

IMG_0655-1.jpg

The elkorn is bland--but it's growing!

IMG_0659.jpg

I think I will wait another month to ebay any of Er1c's purple rimmed green monti cap---It's gotta get a little bigger. I want each one to totally obscure the frag plug.

IMG_0664.jpg

I went to town carving up some live rock rubble for some AWESOME frag plugs. Once they encrust, I think they will be HOT!! This is a montipora confusa.

IMG_0658.jpg

I just made these---but I can't wait to advertise for people to grab my PURPLE CAP! :)

IMG_0661.jpg

Here's the ever present blue stag shot!

IMG_0656-1.jpg

Lastly--check out the sweet purple tort from Er1c!

IMG_0660.jpg

Here's the thing. I love playing around with this stuff. The fact is---one would go broke trying to live off of coral farming with artificial light. My water bill and electric bill both went through the roof.

The Propagator

Thats no calcim reactor !

Thats a penis pump !

LMAO !!! :haha: :haha:

Your live stock and set up looks better every time I see it Mark !

Archived