Innovative Marine Aquariums

Biggest Reef Myths

akaMonkey

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like the evening is going nicely, people are behaving more civilized towards other's, there is rarely a reason to post unkind comments except that the poster is an unkind person.

Mr. MegaYacht

I feel like my Grandfather just joined NR.

Sounds like the evening is going nicely, people are behaving more civilized towards other's, there is rarely a reason to post unkind comments except that the poster is an unkind person.

Mr. MegaYacht

are you ALWAYS drunk cus you post the most inane sh!t. I mean, that doesnt even make sense. All i'm saying to myself is "no sh!t dumb@s$!"

DURRrrrrr....

You're still annoying. Sounds to me like you have a Mega-Ego. Also, the "Model Wannabe" on that site needs to put some clothes on and give it up. Just some friendly advice. Good luck.

My thoughts exactly,only much nicer than I would have put it.

can we get the admins to trim the last 5 pages and get us back on topic...

And megayacht..I hope you signed a pre-nup or all you'll be left with is the dingy.

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.

:)

just trash the whole thread. half of the myths listed were incorrect anyway.

For the record...I too have some issues with the whole 10% weekly water change recommendation. I have never done it that way, I'm more of a once every month or two guy, but to each their own. It is complicated and depends on a lot of factors. I just hope people are giving out good advice and I honestly question whether a generalization of 10% weekly is the best "general" advice really given all the influencing factors and potential problems from the lack of stability this could create in some situations. I'll save this discussion for a different thread though.

Deionized or DI water is where things begin to get interesting because if you want to go further you can remove the extra ions which are attached to the water molecule with special resigns taking the water from 1 meg ohm which what distilled water is to 18.1 meg ohm which will strip the oils from your hands like using MEK (I have seen 18.8 meg ohm but only in extremely specialized nuclear applications. Quality bottled distilled water and standard consumer RO systems provide are about the same water quality.

Mr. MegaYacht

Professor, what is MEK?

18.8 megaohm-cm falls under type- 1 reagent grade water, or maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I use 18 megaohm-cm water for my water changes (I pilfer 5 gallons every week from one of the milli-q's in the workplace).

Whered Dallas go? You guys were to mean I guess. But then again he stirred the pot a little too much. Mr boat guy you have got to let up. Even if you are rich you don't have to run your mouth about it. But I am with Nuhtty, I smell bullcrap as well. Alot of us have been to the Bahamas so your not showing us anything that a creditcard couldn't get. Trust me I know how to use one. Don't rage about all of these babes that are tens and put pics of just an average girl out there. She is attractive but she isn't no Pamela or Jenny by any means. The picture that your painting is 10 playboy bunnies running around on deck of your so called boat. And you have one WIFE in the Bahamas on the beach.

Let's not do the my Pee-pee is bigger than yours thing please. It's gay. Not that there is anything wrong with being gay but I don't wanna hear about it. And I will be the first to never post anything and say that I am drunk again. I had a funny idea a while back while while sober, I followed through with it while a little lit and I got flamed pretty bad for it. I am probably the start of this trend lately. Oh this thread was a good one then we all ruined it with all of this crap.

A few of you mentioned Fosi and lg but you forgot RayWhisperer, he is a good dude on here as well. I like to read Fosi's inputs here and there and lg that novel that you have put out still needs a sticky. Raywhisperer has helped me out a few times.

I've got another one.

Distilled water is of higher purity than RO/DI water.

Not true. Otherwise, distilled water would be the preferred choice in a laboratory setting. RO/DI is the water of choice for procedures requiring high purity, such as semiconductor fabrication. Distilled water is almost never used in a laboratory.

At first, I was going to go on a big spiel about how some labs do use distilled water but I guess that's only at money-tight university labs and it depends on the study of the laboratory. I worked in a marine organic chemistry lab where we did isolation chemistry (on algea, nonetheless!) and using distilled water was sometimes necessary to create separation. However, where contamination or impurities are always a fear (in, for example, a molecular or synthetic lab), the best choices are double-distilled water, MilliQ, or RO/DI. I guess I am just reaffirming what neanderthalman said but I felt it necessary to throw in my two cents since everyone else did too. :lol:

Myth #7? Fish don't have personality.

EDIT: I guess my myth isn't reef specific but maybe it will gear everyone towards back on topic! :)

It is perfectly fine to use reagent grade water (or even RO-DI) since it is being reconstituted back with the salt mix, it can be safely used for top off as well. The point about stripping oils off and specialized nuclear applications is completely irrelevant.

I ordered 2 just incase one dies in the box :)

:haha: ROTFLMAO! That made my sides hurt.

just trash the whole thread. half of the myths listed were incorrect anyway.

For the record...I too have some issues with the whole 10% weekly water change recommendation. I have never done it that way, I'm more of a once every month or two guy, but to each their own. It is complicated and depends on a lot of factors. I just hope people are giving out good advice and I honestly question whether a generalization of 10% weekly is the best "general" advice really given all the influencing factors and potential problems from the lack of stability this could create in some situations. I'll save this discussion for a different thread though.

Try to stay on topic, green.

Let's not do the my Pee-pee is bigger than yours thing please. It's gay.

Small pickle?

I am probably the start of this trend lately.

Don't flatter yourself. NR's been cool for years.

A few of you mentioned Fosi and lg but you forgot RayWhisperer, he is a good dude on here as well.

Here, here! :raises glass with small pickle guy:

Dude in that case you need a new name for this site.

-Pinner

Agreed.

Dude in that case you need a new name.

-Pinner

I was talking about where it was going. Mine is 12 no mine is 14 and then we got John Holmes on the forum. Next thing you know somebody is going to ask for a pic because they don't believe them. You know a FBS? (front body shot) You see where I was trying to keep this from going?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

myth -nano reefers like to stay on topic, and never ever ever act like asses :P

this thread is too funny.

to try and stay on topic, alot of the "myths" mentioned were once factual info.

take the 50g or larger myth.

10-15 years ago, it probably was next to impossible to keep a reef in an aquarium smaller than a 50. salt,additives,equipment have all come along way in the last 15years. and thats not even taking into consideration the research/tests/experiments that have happened to advance the hobby.

alot of the other "myths" mentioned arent really myths, just old factual info for the time.

can we get the admins to trim the last 5 pages and get us back on topic...

And megayacht..I hope you signed a pre-nup or all you'll be left with is the dingy.

Sorry guys, couldn't resist.

:)

Any man who dose NOT have a PreNup is simply looking for problems, his decision but should the relationship go bad a quality well written PreNup will save him.

MegaYacht

Professor, what is MEK?

18.8 megaohm-cm falls under type- 1 reagent grade water, or maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, I use 18 megaohm-cm water for my water changes (I pilfer 5 gallons every week from one of the milli-q's in the workplace).

You will not find anything higher than 18.1 meg ohm water anywhere outside of a nuke power plant or a weapons mfg facitliy. That said 18.1 water is extremily pure, the difference between 18.1 and higher is the removal of the disolved gases.

MEK=Methyl Ethyl Ketone

MegaYacht

I just want to finally jump in this sandbox! This has been one of the MOST ENTERTAINING threads ever!!!

[/quote Juanhunglo69]And I will be the first to never post anything and say that I am drunk again. I had a funny idea a while back while while sober, I followed through with it while a little lit and I got flamed pretty bad for it.

Juanhunglo69, thank you for finally cleaning up after yourself from that ridiculous affair about the hitchhikers. I'm sure that far too many people find N-R too important to have anyone screw around with such a juvenile joke. It put you in bad light. But, real men make mistakes, too - they just have the sense to make amends afterwards. So, again - thanks.

MegaYacht - I guess you just don't see it in yourself. But boy howdy, the rest of us do! One of the best things I ever did for myself was to begin studying the difference between "humility" and "humiliation." It led me to understanding the value of reaching for humility - a beautiful gift.

And I want to add formerly icyuodd/icyoud2 to the list of most helpful/most knowledgeable folks on the site. And mvite. And clifford.

She's probably banging the first mate, so you better have a good pre-nup. Does anyone believe this guy?

Archived