Pod Your Reef

Biggest Reef Myths

akaMonkey

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reef tanks are chick magnets

while reef tanks might not be chick magnets, if you are single and place them in your bed room, in a location that lends its self to sitting or even better laying on a really nice bed... you have a really inocent way of getting them in your room, you can guess the rest

also telling them that you only have a dvd player in your room works well also, never see the end half of the movie

okay, here's a good one....

Everyone who posts a solution has the only right answer!

Did that one get used already cause I aint going back through 200 comments just to find it. :P

Tang

should have pegged you for plastics...why not real medicine if you're that smart.

Plastic surgery is the most competitive medical specialty today. Not only do you need to go through years of general surgery training (which in and of itself is competitive), but then you need to be the best of THAT group.

The technical skill needed to become a plastic surgeon is greater than nearly any other medical specialty, except for possibly microvascular surgeons.

When people hear "plastic surgeon" they automatically think cosmetic surgery. Plastic surgeons are NOT cosmetic surgeons. The field of plastic surgery encompasses cosmetic procedures, but also includes reconstructive surgery (soldiers wounds, car accidents, genetic defects), burn patients (disfigurement, skin grafting) and post-cancer surgery (post mastectomy breast reconstruction, post neck tumor surgery).

So next time don't be so ignorant and you won't sound so dumb to those who know what they're talking about.

With that said...don't be jealous. ;)

mybuickskill6979
okay, here's a good one....

Everyone who posts a solution has the only right answer!

Did that one get used already cause I aint going back through 200 comments just to find it. :P

Tang

one mans right answer is someone elses wrong answer :lol::lol::lol::lol::mellow::huh::D

OMG this thread is still going...

How 'bout my LFS guy "oh yeah, you can put together a good nano-tank for around $500, all in" (as I sit at about $1200 and countiing)

or

"Make sure you get the premium test kits for Ammonia, Nitrate, Calcium, phosphate, etc..." (and I haven't tested a param in 6 months save SG)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
MYTH

Damsels are the most aggressive fish.

TRUTH

Sharks are far more aggressive than damsels.

cartilagenous fish shouldn't count though. they cant swim backwards, and dont even have a swim bladder. :P

pound for pound i bet my clowns would give any shark a run for its money. they have to be some of the nastiest damselfish.

besides i though most sharks were pretty dosile unless threatened or hungry :)

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Myth: You cannot have more than one species of clown per tank without death being imminent to one

Tang

i dont know, when i stuffed bozo and crusty into my aquarium, they gasped for air, swallowed water and drownd.

i dont think clowns can breath under water. :) i'll keep trying

:P :P :P

i dont know, when i stuffed bozo and crusty into my aquarium, they gasped for air, swallowed water and drownd.

:happy:

Tang

mybuickskill6979

you killed crusty, you b@st@rd lol!!

ReefApprentice

A lot of your myths are facts. You can't put two different clowns in a tank, unless its like over 100 gallons. TRUST ME> the weaker one will die.

Myth: A NanoCube (OG) has every thing you need right out of the box, just add salt water and you're done- my old LFS

Not a TOTAL myth...lots of people have done OK with this setup.

funkmeister_smith
MYTH

Damsels are the most aggressive fish.

TRUTH

Sharks are far more aggressive than damsels.

I had a yellow finned blue damsel that was a horrible little beast. It picked on everything in my tank, mostly my Royal Grammar. I took it out & returned it to my LFS & now my Royal Grammar has turned into a right horrible little swine & is picking on everything! :huh: Bah!

I had a yellow finned blue damsel that was a horrible little beast. It picked on everything in my tank, mostly my Royal Grammar. I took it out & returned it to my LFS & now my Royal Grammar has turned into a right horrible little swine & is picking on everything! :huh: Bah!

My clown dosen't take crap off of any thing... I used to have a Blue damsel, he started acting up and my clown killed him :o

A lot of your myths are facts. You can't put two different clowns in a tank, unless its like over 100 gallons. TRUST ME> the weaker one will die.

A lot of "my" myths are facts???? I never said what tank size buddy. I said it's a myth that two different clownfish cant be kept in the same aquarium. Only an idiot would put 2 diff clowns in a nano.

And yes, I have a Maroon and an Ocellaris in the same tank. They even hang on the same side, so dont tell me it cant be done when they've been doing it for 19 months. Heirarchy has a lot to do with it.

Tang

A lot of "my" myths are facts???? I never said what tank size buddy. I said it's a myth that two different clownfish cant be kept in the same aquarium. Only an idiot would put 2 diff clowns in a nano.

And yes, I have a Maroon and an Ocellaris in the same tank. They even hang on the same side, so dont tell me it cant be done when they've been doing it for 19 months. Heirarchy has a lot to do with it.

Tang

actually alot of people will tell you that it, sometimes, works out

so your myth isnt really much of a myth b/c alot of people will tell you that it is possible but not likely to happen

Archived