Top Shelf Aquatics

my wife put my chrismas present under the tree.

71vwbug

from the measurements that were given someone used something off of RC and came up with a 45g tank

i have sent pms to that person several times and i have yet to get a responce.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right. Just got caught up on this long fargin thread.

F-Geek: Ouch. Hope it works out for you. Stay on that insurance company hard, follow up with the cops bi-weekly (and document it) and request a copy of your entire policy and read it all the way through. Find your rights in that policy and then roll it up and stick it in their eye if they try to jack you around. Trust me, I speak from experience. Insurance companies hate to pay out on stolen vehicles and will drag it out forever.

V-Dub,

Replied to your PM. I will check out the shipping deal and the best way to pack the tank, probably tomorrow at lunch. The tank I have is a 40H. Same footprint as a standard 30gal, just taller. I hope you have long arms, you will need them. Not the most optimum size for a reef, but it holds water.

I will provide a sit-rep tomorrow PM.

Prof.

Thats awsome professor. thanks. I just wanted to let everyone know I GOT THE HEATER....... thanks Mr. Fosi well im now one step closer.

sand and heater is taken care of.

Thats awsome professor. thanks. I just wanted to let everyone know I GOT THE HEATER....... thanks Mr. Fosi well im now one step closer.

sand and heater is taken care of.

V-Dub,

No problem.

I just had an Idea regarding the two fold problem of shipping a tank. The problems as I see them are glass tanks being notoriously bad shippers and the cost of shipping the tank nearly exceeding the cost of a new one.

Here's what I propose, give me a thumbs up or down so I know how to proceed:

I'll gladly start a "pledge" thread in the classified section asking people to pledge $5-$10. Some third partly would need to be a treasurer. We scour the net, other forums, Craig’s list, eBay, local classifieds (PM V-Dub for zip code) and find the best deal on a tank that fits his needs and the equipment donated. Keep the pledge thread open until we meet or exceed the goal. Announce the tank that is lined up for purchase then and only then have the pledges send the money via pay pal to the treasurer to complete the transaction. There is a chance that up to 25% of the pledges won't follow through, but in that event I'm sure we'll be able to pick up the extras or have a suitable second tank in mind. The treasurer would need to be a long time member with an impeccable reputation, preferably a moderator or administrator.

Like I said just an idea but it does seem to solve the problem; let me know what you think.

yah latazyo did have a tank..... i forgot yah i could do that not sure how i would get to stl though thats a good idea though. professor is suppost to let us know something today about his tank.

i called my lps last night and the cost for a 40g breeder tank with a stand is running 280. thats really up there... you take off the 80 that fishgeek is sending and that still leaves 200. i could do 20 or so right now 180 see im not sure what you guys wanna do.

I can meet you in metro east (ofallon), so you wont even have to go to missouri or the city

so this is about 90 miles from you, so 180 miles round trip, in a vw you must be rockin at least 20 mpg, so thats like 9 gallons of gas, so it'll only cost you about $25 in gas to pick this up and about 3 hours of your time

so let me know, its not like my tank is in high demand and others are waiting, its just sitting in my office on the floor, empty

i bowed down for a while, but to save some trouble 71... why don't you use the 20 you said you could spend on the 40 and set up a 10 gallon tank? I think they are like 12 bucks at petco or wal-mart.

if you are trying to do this on a budget, then keep it simple.

i might just do that, not sure whats going to happen yet. fishgeek is suppost to send me some cash.

You should be able to get a real stand for $50 or a make do for much less.

All right. Here is what I have found out so far. When I asked the people at Mail Boxes Etc the best way to box up a fish tank they looked at me like I had a second belly button in the middle of my forehead. As for packing, they are calling corporate to see if anyone can figure a good way to pack it up to get it out safe and sound, but he thought the chances of it breaking to be better than 80% (real confident in his carriers obviously). Cost is more than the tank cost new. The size plus the weight is the killer.

I am going to swing back by tomorrow and talk to the dude and see if he has figured out a way to pack it and a cheaper way to get it there, but shipping this thing safely and affordably may prove untenable. I will let everyone know what is going on tomorrow.

Prof.

I was in the post office the other day, and this guy had a blown glass ball he wanted to ship- it looked as if he moved his hand quick enough, it would shatter. :D Make a long story short, after fighting with the manager about insuring it for $200 (He said it had a lot of sentimental value b/c he made it) he was told to go visit the UPS store. Just reminded me of this tank shipping problem we're trying to overcome :D

Oh, and I didn't get to ship the HOB yet, it will be there before the tank is though!!!!!!!! (Unless you go out and buy one tomorrow, or meet up with lat) :D :D

hey v dub i am sorry that things fell through but i will send you the $80.00 that it would of cost to ship it. I will be able to do that tomorrow and still send yo all the other less heavy stuff. 2 pc ballast 65 watts filter light reflector. This weekend. I don't have time right now to read everything so i will get back to everyone tomorrow. SORRY TO EVERYONE I DID NOT WANT TO NOT COME THOURH WITH THIS TANK.

Archived