Cultivated Reef

my wife put my chrismas present under the tree.

71vwbug

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know I have a new 55W PC bulb that I don't need and maybe a raw ballast to drive it (did someone else say they had a ballast? what kind of bulbs did it run?).

PM'd you, Noelpk. I may have a 55w PC ballast. Well, I definitely HAVE one, but it's questionable whether it still works after all this time in my attic. I'm sure my bulbs, fittings, etc. are all shot to hell though. We'll see if between us we have enough guts to put something together. I bet if we're missing something small the MARS reef club could help out too.

If it doesn't work out, I'm still up for sending some frags.

C

Edit once again because I see a 20L is 30x12x12 and my 29 was 30x12x18, so my actual wood hood might work. It was pretty nicely built (had a Chicago LFS do it for me). But it might be one of those "more expensive to ship than it's worth" things. We'll see what Noelpk and I can come up with.

Holy $%^& the thing works. And I have 2 daylight bulbs and one actinic bulb. VW, gimmie your zip (I PMd you) and I'll get a shipping estimate. Will try to take pics today too. It is a 2x 55w PC hood made of black wood, bulbs (used), ballast with 2 different electrical outlets so you can have the bulbs come on separately. No fan in the hood.

Ok. It'll cost approximately $48 to pack & ship via ground. That's having the UPS place pack it. Far as I'm concerned, it's yours if you want it. If you would like to help defray those shipping costs, that'd be great. You can PM me about it and also with your address if you'd like the unit.

If I recall correctly, the entire thing was $600 new back in...hmmmm...1997? Bought it from Old Town Aquarium in Chicago. As noted, I'm kind of amazed it works, so it would be coming to you as is with no particular guarantee.

Pics follow:

ballast2.jpg

bulbnballast.jpg

closed1.jpg

open1.jpg

bottom1.jpg

plugged.jpg

Everything you see would be coming to you. Two daylight bulbs and one actinic. The lights haven't been used since around 2000 or 2001, so you would most likely want to replace the bulbs as soon as you could. It really is a nice, solidly-built unit but as you can see the reflector has seen better days. In person the wood looks better than it appears in the pics. Must have been the flash. The exterior is in very good shape.

The UPS place is closed on Sunday, so I'd have to wait 'til Monday to ship it.

C

am i just stupid or what

i went today and got a stand but i cant get the HOB filter to work.. i have placed water in it and messed with the settings but it wont go.

Wow, I thought the tank would have at least been cycling by now......haven't checked this thread in quite awhile. Anyways, VW, just PM me when you can use some free zoas and palys.

Hope all is well.

Stan

I have never used an AC filter (I believe that's what you have) but in my azoo HOB filter I have to occasionally take the impeller apart & clean it just like you would on a powerhead.

Stick it on the tank, fill completely with water, and make sure the intake is in place firmly. Turn the big black knob so the plus sign is on the intake tube. Plug in. Then put the clear piece on as well as the little black knob. Then place in media and put cover on. Usually the problem is the big knob is closed or there isn't enough water.

HTH, sorry its giving you trouble. I made sure it worked before shipping it, so if you do the above, it should work good. Good Luck!

LMAO, come to think of it I cleaned it after making sure it worked; did I put the impeller in backwards?? Try taking that apart and reinstalling it. Sorry for the trouble!

its together by the picture all it wants to do is swirl the water in the tube its not sucking any up. maybe im just stupid lol. im sure it works.

dont know what im doing wrong.

its together by the picture all it wants to do is swirl the water in the tube its not sucking any up. maybe im just stupid lol. im sure it works.

dont know what im doing wrong.

I used AC hob filters when I had freshwater tanks....drawing on LONG term memory here...lol.

I believe if the water moving the impeller is working. I don't think there's a way to install in impeller backwards. Do you hear a siphoning sound? If I remember correctly, usually if you hear the sound and no water is being sent over the output, that means you don;t have enough water in the HOB. You need to fill it completely so when the impeller fills the intake tube gravity will take over and start the siphoning process.

Stan

i have filled it and filled it. and it just spills the extra back into the tank. i have tryed filling the tube i have messed with the knobs. i dont know im totally at a loss i cant figure it out.

Unbelievable, bug. And, too funny. Try lifting and lowering the u tube. It may not be seating properly. Not much that could be wrong with one of these. HTH

lmao, thats what i was doing last night. it swirls i put the cap back on then it does nothing. im going to take it to my lps as soon as i can to see if they can do it...

The cap has to stay on the whole time or you won't be able to create a seal... It will go blup, blup, blup after a few sec, and then it will go. HTH :D

I got the hood from Carinya. It is very nice! You are lucky I dumped my 20L years ago! (just kidding). I'll box it up with the skimmer ASAP and drop it off at UPS. Hopefully within the next few days. I found an air pump that should work, and I think I have a minijet and two limewood airstones too... Time to go dig in my basement. It was -18 outside on my way to work and only *slightly* warmer down there!!!!

Did you get that filter running? Sometimes it takes a minute for those things to suck enough water up the intake tube... Let it run for a few minutes and see if it starts running.

Archived