Pod Your Reef

EZ II

ezcompany

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez Jin, turn the greens down on your camera!! :o lol That is some neon green candy cane if I ever did see any!!! Ok, tips to getting the brightest color possible?? And using actinics is cheating! :P All good looking new pieces though.

Neon green candy from proraptor

img48958aa.jpg

In case Proraptor sees this. Dude I still have your Chivas at home. I want my neon candy dude.

In case Proraptor sees this. Dude I still have your Chivas at home. I want my neon candy dude.

my chivas? lol

Matt, i have 0 actinics in my system, only the 14k Phoenix bulb~

hey man can you post some of your frags from the meet and swap, i wasnt able to make it down this year. Today was my dad's birthday dinner, so I had to drive north instead of south... CRY CRY CRY! I wanted to come so bad. The wife wouldnt have it tho. As all you married men know; Wife has total control! And all those who think the opposite are just in denial!

Anyways I would love to see some healthy frags that you would be willing to part with... im only looking for 1-2inch frags, nothing large. Also is Superman ready to frag yet?

Hows the color/growth with the phoenix compared to your stock bulb?

I just realized that you might have the same issue i do. What do you do with your colonies towards the top of the tank when you do your waterchange. 4-5 gallons is a lot of water to take out of the tank and it would leave your sps open to air. I used to do water in-water out at the same time, but really it doesnt do anything.... its not like 4gallons out, 4gallons in. So unless you move all your colonies from the top, down once a week, you must be doing water in and out at the same time, correct?

Obsessed Reefer

Looking good. One question. How do you dose your stuff, do you just add it in the chambers? Add it individually with some tank water mixed with it, to the chambers, or mix all the medications in a cup, add some tank water, mix it up, and then add it to the chambers?

Jesse

Looking good. One question. How do you dose your stuff, do you just add it in the chambers? Add it individually with some tank water mixed with it, to the chambers, or mix all the medications in a cup, add some tank water, mix it up, and then add it to the chambers?

Jesse

His Pharmacy Technician does all the mixing and adding. :D

Jesse

my 2 parts i dose in the false sump area directly, no mixing or diluting.

my tropic marin k and a additives i dose directly into the display.

cpllongjk, i only got one frag from the swap, a trade with eric for a sunset.

growth i cannot tell yet between the phoenix and stock bulb, its too short of a time period still! as of water changes, i just let my colonies sit exposed to air. they are exposed to low tides frequently and a few minutes exposed is absolutely no problem. just make sure to move the halides a bit so they don't get heated up too much though!

did you ever put your hydor back on, i know you mentioned it broke on you. I was thinking about adding a mj900 with hydor to my tank, but since i replaced my aquac remora with my old css65, the rio has added 1degree to my water. Rio's claim to only use 22watts might be a lie.

Right now i have a test frag of acro in my tank, polyp extension is good, so i can see random chaotic flow from my 2 tunzes. Not as chaotic as i want but its sufficent for now. All i think a mj900 hydor would do is add some more randomness and maybe help cover some lower flow areas. But ill test it out.

Because summer is coming up, and i dont want to have to buy a chiller! not really, but my wife would kill me if i did! lol! im looking at the 2-4fan model azoo clip on fan, like strategic reef has, its pretty nifty. The back of my tank is a bit crowded without the overflow/drain for a chiller and return.

How is your deltec working out? Ive heard some bad reviews about it only doing mediocre preformance. More or less skimate than css? density? Any chance of overflow, or better built?

i will probably switch to a 250 watt sunpod after January and go for a Iwasaki.

Where are you going to order your 250watt from? marineandreef is the only place I have seen it online for sale yet. They are asking $320.45.

brassmonkey, the only lps i have are blastos, and i really don't think my red blastos are happy at all!

cpllong, i never added the hydor back. it was great while they lasted, i just wish they kept turning. also where are you located? depending on where you are you may or may not need a chiller. i would get a chiller if you are getting into sps corals however. what is the azoo clip fan? can you link me?

aaronz, the only place i knew that had them was drfosters, i'm glad marineandreef are carrying them now as well. last time i checked they didn't.

StrategicReef

heh, is your tank looking crowded?

Around the back chambers of my AP24... I have chiller intake pipe and locline return, MJ900 return pump, kalk drip tube, temperature probe, ph probe, top off water tube, azoo clip on array fan, 2 float switches, 2 jager heaters (just added 2nd one cuz it was too cold), CSS65, Phosban reactor with another pump, hanging off the side of the back now. I can't add anymore HOB stuff.

Oh yeah, a fish jumping into the back will make me late for work :P

brassmonkey, the only lps i have are blastos, and i really don't think my red blastos are happy at all!

cpllong, i never added the hydor back. it was great while they lasted, i just wish they kept turning. also where are you located? depending on where you are you may or may not need a chiller. i would get a chiller if you are getting into sps corals however. what is the azoo clip fan? can you link me?

aaronz, the only place i knew that had them was drfosters, i'm glad marineandreef are carrying them now as well. last time i checked they didn't.

No Prob. I am still debating to go with the 250 or go with the 150 and a nice bulb. Premium Aquatics is 45min away so after class tomorrow I think I might stop by there and see if maybe they have one in that I can look at. I don't know what kind of heat issues and water level stress that 250 will bring. Ill let you experiment with it!

Yeah dude, im about 3hours north of you, in fresno. It gets pretty hot here as well... but what im thinking about doing, considering how much chillers cost and to run them... ill just run my ac set at 78ish, and then run these fans over to blow the heat from the light off...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...p;N=0&Nty=1

there is the link to the fans, cheap too, only 20bucks for 2fans 30 bucks for 4... not to bad compared to a chiller.

If i bought a chiller, most likely the 15hp model, i would have to set up an overflow, and a pump, just to much.

also, did you leave your mj900 in tank, or take it out with the hydor. I think im having ok results with just return,and the 2 tunze nanostreams... the mj900 just adds more heat, but i dont know, ill test around, dont want my tank getting to hot.

im looking at the aquamedic controller for ph monitoring/temp control, and lighting control. But spending 300bucks is not a priority right now, school books are lol.

Strategic

not crowded at all, though i cannot add anymore HOB stuff as well.

i have a ac70 hob, a temperature probe, and a deltec skimmer with a bubble catcher. i also have one 100watt heater. i prefer less heaters in case one decides to stay on. can you take a pic of your back and email or post it here?

1. i want to see how you did the kalk drip tube (is this a diy with a gallon jug? kalk stirrer? osmolator?)

2. phosban reactor set up

3. float switches with top off water tube (can you explain to me your top off system)

4. chiller intake set up

Thanks!

aaronz

if you are looking into a full sps system, definitely go for the 250. i have some acros that are right under the 150 and still need some coloring up to do.

cpllongjk

it is indeed cheaper to run an ac than a chiller!

i have the 1/5 hp model but no pump and tubes yet. i took out my mj900 as i don't like the extra heat and a jet of stream as well. thanks for the link!

StrategicReef
Strategic

not crowded at all, though i cannot add anymore HOB stuff as well.

i have a ac70 hob, a temperature probe, and a deltec skimmer with a bubble catcher. i also have one 100watt heater. i prefer less heaters in case one decides to stay on. can you take a pic of your back and email or post it here?

1. i want to see how you did the kalk drip tube (is this a diy with a gallon jug? kalk stirrer? osmolator?)

2. phosban reactor set up

3. float switches with top off water tube (can you explain to me your top off system)

4. chiller intake set up

No pictures of that right now, Kalk is a bucket with a aqualifter pump turning on 3 times a day for a couple minutes, can't turn on for too long because the evaporation is pretty low lately due to cold weather. No stirrer etc, it's use to boost the PH during dark periods.

Phosban reactor with Minijet 606, running carbon and phosar, hang on the back side of the black plastic area. Minijet 606 is too powerful BTW, the 404 would be good to use with. I like it, easier to change out monthly than taking my dozen of equipment off and reach for the bag. and no bag to catch detritus is always good too.

Float switch controls a relay for 120VAC but then I use a 12VDC transformer to run a RV water pump from a bucket few feet away.

Chiller is PVC, set up just like CLS as shown on MelevsReef to an external pump.

Hope this helps.

My 100W heater was not keeping up.. (my house about 55F at night), I cannot keep it at 78 degrees, overnight it would drop a few degrees, too risky actually if this single heater fails the temperature will be way too low.

For a heater to fail stuck ON it would have to fail it's internal one and also my controller to fail together .. very unlikely. My second heater is just using built-in thermostat tho.. I set to 75 or so and is only on when temperature dips. Should any heater fail my chiller has bigger BTU than the 100W heater..

Hey dude, tested my new bucket of reef crystals today...

Heres the comparison to instant ocean:

Intant ocean: 5dkh, 340calcium

Reef Crystals: 13.5dkh, approx 440

Reef Crystals is much better than instant ocean. From what a marine biologist told me, hes tested Tropic Marin Regular, he said "Its only for Fish only tanks." Hes never tested the pro version, but he did say, even though the same company makes instant ocean and reef crystals, reef crystals is the best choice for your money.

ITS ON SALE NOW at drs! i bought the 160bucket shipped for 40bucks, thats including shipping. I couldnt pass that deal up.

Ps! Forgot to add this! THIS MEANS NO MORE B-IONIC 2 PART, I CAN GO BACK TO MY KALKWASSER TOP OFF TO MAINTAIN MY CA LEVELS, since dkh will remain stable about 10+.

Weekly waterchanges will maintain dkh, but i might have to supplement for ca, but at least its a less of a hassle, just with using a different salt.

Hey dude, tested my new bucket of reef crystals today...

Heres the comparison to instant ocean:

Intant ocean: 5dkh, 340calcium

Reef Crystals: 13.5dkh, approx 440

Reef Crystals is much better than instant ocean. From what a marine biologist told me, hes tested Tropic Marin Regular, he said "Its only for Fish only tanks." Hes never tested the pro version, but he did say, even though the same company makes instant ocean and reef crystals, reef crystals is the best choice for your money.

ITS ON SALE NOW at drs! i bought the 160bucket shipped for 40bucks, thats including shipping. I couldnt pass that deal up.

Ps! Forgot to add this! THIS MEANS NO MORE B-IONIC 2 PART, I CAN GO BACK TO MY KALKWASSER TOP OFF TO MAINTAIN MY CA LEVELS, since dkh will remain stable about 10+.

Weekly waterchanges will maintain dkh, but i might have to supplement for ca, but at least its a less of a hassle, just with using a different salt.

the alk reading is too high for the crystals, i like keeping mine at 9, though i may think of actually mixing my tropic marin. as of now, i just add some calcium in my water mix, and i hit 400 ppm with 9dkh of alk, which is perfect. i may just try the RC though, cuz it may lower my 2 part demand, but it will also cause more fluctuations. hmmm.

StrategicReef

Well if you are like me and got a bucket of reef crystals with high alk and low Ca 350... then you try to add Ca and it precipitates, it's annoying.

My PH swing low too comparing to the TM pro reef, sometimes 7.8.. TM is like 8.1

I am happy to pay 2x for TM pro reef.. for my tank salt last so long I don't care too much about the cost difference. I change ~3.5 gal per week.

Just speaking from personal experience.

Well if you are like me and got a bucket of reef crystals with high alk and low Ca 350... then you try to add Ca and it precipitates, it's annoying.

My PH swing low too comparing to the TM pro reef, sometimes 7.8.. TM is like 8.1

I am happy to pay 2x for TM pro reef.. for my tank salt last so long I don't care too much about the cost difference. I change ~3.5 gal per week.

Just speaking from personal experience.

i am very content with regular tropic marin, i get it for around $60 shipped to me overnight :)

Archived