SaltCritters.com

New nano girl

mediumsprite

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your welcome! It's not to say that strips are bad, but they just aren't a true test kit. I look at them like the temp gauge in your car, it only has 3 settings it'll sit at pretty much, cold (in the morning) middle which is where it stays at when the car is running, and the top which will pretty much register after it's too late, if you hit the read you might have blown your motor. verses a test kit which would be like adding in an aftermarket temp gauge which will actually move as the water temp in your car heats and cools, maybe it's just crappy Honda gauges though, lol! But anyways hopefully my example wasn't too confusing. Test strips would be fine once established, but I definitely wouldn't use them to determine if cycling is over or not. I have them myself, but still use my test kit anyways eventhough it's a little more work to do.

thank you. very good example:)

how long before you can add macro to the system?

Somtimes people edit for spelling or grammer.Same with mine.Where you reading my previous poast?I edited for spelling.

oh. yeah I was reading your post.

there was this man by the name of Hindi last name Kush. does he ever come around:)

lol, I'm glad it wasn't confusing. ;) Macro, hmm... I'd wait till at least the cycling has ended, then add in your macro! Chaeto is good for the back chambers, but only if you have a light to keep on it. There's always the soapdish basket method though which puts it in the main display area so extra lighting isn't needed, plus it's still up out of the way. Eitherway should work fine. Once you're cycled, get a clean-up crew of a few snails and hermit crabs, and add your macro. :) Then from there add the fish and/or coral you want depending on which route you go first between those 2.

Hello,

I just discovered a starfish living in one of the live rocks. It has really long skinny red w/yellow striped legs.

Today when I got home I added a few sprinkles of food to the tank to help with the cycling, when out of the rock comes the starfish to feast. Really cool looking.

But how is that possible? That LR, LS (in a bag), & water have only been in the tank 8 days now.

My BF just got me “the Master Reef kit tester” so when he gets home I will be testing my parameters.

I will also take some picture of the star fish when I pick up my camera.

Thx

Hello,

I just discovered a starfish living in one of the live rocks. It has really long skinny red w/yellow striped legs.

Today when I got home I added a few sprinkles of food to the tank to help with the cycling, when out of the rock comes the starfish to feast. Really cool looking.

But how is that possible? That LR, LS (in a bag), & water have only been in the tank 8 days now.

My BF just got me “the Master Reef kit tester” so when he gets home I will be testing my parameters.

I will also take some picture of the star fish when I pick up my camera.

Thx

I got 2 hijacker starfish from cheato I got from a local.. tiger striped serpent star x 2..

These stars hide in the crevises of the LR etc so you wouldnt even notice them until they decide to come out. I havnt seen mine in like 2 weeks. They come out at night mostly...

Awesome hijacker though :D

Wheres the pic of the starfish you promised?!?! hmmm???.. jk

Looks like it's coming along well. Any ideas on what you want for a clean up crew?

Wheres the pic of the starfish you promised?!?! hmmm???.. jk

Looks like it's coming along well. Any ideas on what you want for a clean up crew?

not yet. my BF said he was going to surprise me with a clean up crew. But the fish and corald i"ll pick, lol

thx

Hey Sprite...

Tks for the Pm reply...tank is coming along real well.

Told my wife last night I needed a BF like yours...way kidding

but nice to have someone that appears way talented to help out.

Stand is a work of art :D

Keep up the great progress...

Izzue

Hey Sprite...

Tks for the Pm reply...tank is coming along real well.

Told my wife last night I needed a BF like yours...way kidding

but nice to have someone that appears way talented to help out.

Stand is a work of art :D

Keep up the great progress...

Izzue

lol.....Hola Izzue, THX:)

LMK if you get your ballast? BF might have an extra one:)

Oooh, Latin fire!

haha, leave it to Iz... :P j/k bro!

Cool pic of you in action with the tank, Miriam. ;) As far as your parameters, you still have some cycling to finish up, so I'd say at least till monday it should take before I'd consider adding anything. Your nitrites should be at 0 at least for sure! Nitrates can be under 10, that's fine, and you'll want your ammonia at 0 as well. Does the kit you have test for total AND free ammonia, or just free ammonia? eitherway, free should ALWAYS be at 0 whereas total isn't toxic and dangerous like free ammonia, so it can be slightly elevated at it's pretty harmless ionic ammonia. Remember, free is bad, total is fine. B) Also I was just noticing that your pH is kinda low. Best is between 8.1 and 8.4 8.2-3 is most desireable. But it sounds like it's really coming along for you, and in a short amount of time!! Can't wait to see the pics of the star you found in your L/R. ;)

IMG_0149.jpg

Hello and thx Matt:)

yes it tests for high and low amonia.

I took a pix of the star's legs lol,

haha, leave it to Iz... :P j/k bro!

Cool pic of you in action with the tank, Miriam. ;) As far as your parameters, you still have some cycling to finish up, so I'd say at least till monday it should take before I'd consider adding anything. Your nitrites should be at 0 at least for sure! Nitrates can be under 10, that's fine, and you'll want your ammonia at 0 as well. Does the kit you have test for total AND free ammonia, or just free ammonia? eitherway, free should ALWAYS be at 0 whereas total isn't toxic and dangerous like free ammonia, so it can be slightly elevated at it's pretty harmless ionic ammonia. Remember, free is bad, total is fine. B) Also I was just noticing that your pH is kinda low. Best is between 8.1 and 8.4 8.2-3 is most desireable. But it sounds like it's really coming along for you, and in a short amount of time!! Can't wait to see the pics of the star you found in your L/R. ;)

your sure getting a lot of attention hear lady, little jealous <_<

what made you get into saltwater/reef aquariums?

lol. Hello, mY BF got me started. He bought me the tank:)

Archived