Pod Your Reef

Two Cats and a Reef

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

haha im not home im with my folks griling and reading the declaration together.

soon as i'm home its going in the fish room in front of this reef.

i think my favorite feature is the ability to zoom with really great quality, but being able to hear and talk is pretty cool too. i can tell the kitties to get off the tank when im gone. and set it up so if it detects the motion of them getting up to sit on top of it, it will send an alert to my phone.

im not sure how to get the link. still fiddling.

bwahaha.

i should be responsible and use it for my front or garage door for security.... but reefs are so much more fun to watch!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thecoralbeauty

so, i don't think the nest cam has a link. i can't login to it on the computer- just on my phone or iPad using the app. if that changes i'll let you know.

in other news. things are good. xenia seems less fluffy than normal, but I'm not alarmed. turned the fan on in the room and hopefully that will help keep the temp below 80.

i noticed some rust on the filing cabinet today, though. :furious: thats my only filing cabinet and only place to keep my important papers and such. I've long been considering moving the tank to a better stand, but have been putting it off. I'm currently playing with the idea of putting my dining room table in storage and putting the tank out there in the nook where it was (buying a nice stand for it too...).

decisions, decisions...

so, i don't think the nest cam has a link. i can't login to it on the computer- just on my phone or iPad using the app. if that changes i'll let you know.

in other news. things are good. xenia seems less fluffy than normal, but I'm not alarmed. turned the fan on in the room and hopefully that will help keep the temp below 80.

i noticed some rust on the filing cabinet today, though. :furious: thats my only filing cabinet and only place to keep my important papers and such. I've long been considering moving the tank to a better stand, but have been putting it off. I'm currently playing with the idea of putting my dining room table in storage and putting the tank out there in the nook where it was (buying a nice stand for it too...).

decisions, decisions...

Shopping for a new stand sounds like fun! When I started back into the hobby I told my husband I only wanted to do it, if I could have my tank in a spot where I spend a lot of time and can sit and really look at it and relax. So mine is in the living room next to the couch where I sit and feed bottles to our babies. It has been perfect! I am sure your kitties will love it where ever it is.

HarryPotter

decisions, decisions...

Go to ikea!

I vote a real stand; it'll be super nice to put the tank where you want!

thecoralbeauty

Go to ikea!

I vote a real stand; it'll be super nice to put the tank where you want!

ikea makes stuff that'll hold 200 pounds??

Today I got to see the kitty-cam in action. Not only can I zoom from across the room and see my fish swimming in the tank, i got to mess with my cats through the speaker.

some highlights:

IMG_3372_zpszhkcns4q.png

IMG_3364_zpsno393arz.png

thecoralbeauty

Too funny! Were you talking to them in those photos?

yes! i actually called them and they both came running into the room looking very confused.

I found out how to make the feed public (and can switch that on and off as needed) but i have nowhere in the room right now to prop that camera so y'all can watch the tank.

plus it seems odd to have a live, public video feed into my house where anyone who comes across this thread can look in.... but if i find a way to center it on just my tank, i guess it wouldn't be all that weird.

I may try to rig it up just for today or so just to give it a try :)

yes! i actually called them and they both came running into the room looking very confused.

I found out how to make the feed public (and can switch that on and off as needed) but i have nowhere in the room right now to prop that camera so y'all can watch the tank.

plus it seems odd to have a live, public video feed into my house where anyone who comes across this thread can look in.... but if i find a way to center it on just my tank, i guess it wouldn't be all that weird.

I may try to rig it up just for today or so just to give it a try :)

The guy who fostered our kittens had a live camera set up in his living room. I thought it was odd that he felt comfortable with that lol. He'd walk out of the bathroom zipping up his pants. Or be in the room in his boxers LOL. I guess some people are comfortable with that :).
thecoralbeauty

The guy who fostered our kittens had a live camera set up in his living room. I thought it was odd that he felt comfortable with that lol. He'd walk out of the bathroom zipping up his pants. Or be in the room in his boxers LOL. I guess some people are comfortable with that :).

"kittens and a show"...? :blush:

My spare bathroom is right there, as you can see in the photos, directly to the left of the tank. i either need to ensure when i set this up that it doesn't cover that doorway, or put a sign so my guests know to temporarily shut that sliding door (I always leave it open because Daisy closes the other swinging door and has locked herself in a few times like that).

thecoralbeauty

ALRIGHT.

I'll be out most of today with errands, so i figured, what the heck, i'll just set it up as best I can for the day and let y'all enjoy if you want!

It's sitting on my desk chair on top of a huge stack of textbooks, haha.

I'm probably not going to keep it public, but please. Do enjoy, today!

https://video.nest.com/live/VktMYh

HarryPotter

Why does everyone's camera look better than mine? Looks good, in other words. :)

Gimme your link- ill be the judge of that! ;)

"kittens and a show"...? :blush:

My spare bathroom is right there, as you can see in the photos, directly to the left of the tank. i either need to ensure when i set this up that it doesn't cover that doorway, or put a sign so my guests know to temporarily shut that sliding door (I always leave it open because Daisy closes the other swinging door and has locked herself in a few times like that).

I didn't even notice...I see the bathroom now. Your drop cam isn't working? Either is Mark's! I wanna see :). I've been thinking about getting one for my tank and the kittens.
HarryPotter

Wow... that's cool. How's the camera work? You pay a couple hundred bucks for the hardware, and is the viewing/hosting/whatever else free?

Yep :) $200 for camera and free streaming

thecoralbeauty

I didn't even notice...I see the bathroom now. Your drop cam isn't working? Either is Mark's! I wanna see :). I've been thinking about getting one for my tank and the kittens.

hm... seems to be working now.

not sure the cats will be visible since it's right up in front of the tank.

Wow... that's cool. How's the camera work? You pay a couple hundred bucks for the hardware, and is the viewing/hosting/whatever else free?

it's great. app is free, and yea the camera is about 200. night vision, obvious fish-eye or wide-angle lens... microphone and speaker so you can talk and listen. you can pay a subsribction if you want footage stored long-term but it keeps it for a few days. it also alerts you if there is motion or sound detected (each time my cats came in yesterday it pinged my cell phone) or you can only ask for notifications of movement within a certain part of the screen. also the zoom is pretty nice. took about 2 minutes to set up over wifi.

thecoralbeauty

Went to IKEA today. Found a stand. Should be really cute once it's set up. White with purple shelves. Sat on it with my best friend at the store and didn't budge so it will most likely be just fine holding the tank. (I'm around 120 and she's about 150). Anxious to set it up and get it moved over! That may take a while, but we'll see.

HarryPotter

Went to IKEA today. Found a stand. Should be really cute once it's set up. White with purple shelves. Sat on it with my best friend at the store and didn't budge so it will most likely be just fine holding the tank. (I'm around 120 and she's about 150). Anxious to set it up and get it moved over! That may take a while, but we'll see.

So whats the funky name of the stand? Ikea names are the best :ninja:

Why would it take a while? Just siphon out 90% of the water into a bucket, get a few strapping young men to move it over, and refill!

hm... seems to be working now.

not sure the cats will be visible since it's right up in front of the tank.

it's great. app is free, and yea the camera is about 200. night vision, obvious fish-eye or wide-angle lens... microphone and speaker so you can talk and listen. you can pay a subsribction if you want footage stored long-term but it keeps it for a few days. it also alerts you if there is motion or sound detected (each time my cats came in yesterday it pinged my cell phone) or you can only ask for notifications of movement within a certain part of the screen. also the zoom is pretty nice. took about 2 minutes to set up over wifi.

I must be doing something wrong because all I see is a black screen and it says "Live" in the corner. My husband said we can look into one of these cameras :happydance:.
HarryPotter

I was watching your tank- on the far right is that a torch or Galaxea?

Haha the Gigantic snail is right up on the edge of the tank.. Hope it doesn't fall over! :lol:

I was watching your tank- on the far right is that a torch or Galaxea?

Haha the Gigantic snail is right up on the edge of the tank.. Hope it doesn't fall over! :lol:

Well, I don't know what is wrong but I can't access the video. It crashed my computer. Or I had to turn it off because it wouldn't stop doing the circle rainbow working icon.

HarryPotter

Well, I don't know what is wrong but I can't access the video. It crashed my computer. Or I had to turn it off because it wouldn't stop doing the circle rainbow working icon.

:(

:(

Are you on Safari?

Archived