ReefCleaners.org

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

I was thinking maybe get a Foxface as well to help with your algae control. Also you'll have more spikes to dodge whilst cleaning the tank... Hmm, could that be what happened to the Kole? He got jabbed?

You know, it crossed my mind, but then I kind of forgot about that as an option. Maybe when I started cleaning the tank she got stressed and got up under the rocks too close to a lionfish. I seriously doubt one of my lions would have actively stung her because they weren't threatened by her at all, but maybe she bumped right into one which would do it. She seemed like she went from being healthy to in severe distress very quickly, so that seems like maybe it could be a lionfish sting. In that case, maybe a venomous Foxface would be a better fit.

Foxface gets huge and gets big quick. Yellow tang does fine for a while in a 40, much better then a Kole IMO, regardless of recommendation. My Yellow tang is not that active of a swimmer while the Kole is.

Good to know. Yeah it seemed like Ben and Kat's rabbitfish got huge quickly. Maybe a yellow tang would be an option, but now I'm wondering if the kole got stung by a lionfish. Maybe I just can't have an algae-eating fish and I just need to get off my lazy butt and scrub rocks with a toothbrush. :lol:

Its so annoying because my Starry Blenny was perfect. He had so much personality, and was big enough for the lions to ignore him. He ate algae like a champ....then he up and decided to eat the beautiful, huge squamosa clam and he had to go. :(

• Like 3

Good to know. Yeah it seemed like Ben and Kat's rabbitfish got huge quickly. Maybe a yellow tang would be an option, but now I'm wondering if the kole got stung by a lionfish. Maybe I just can't have an algae-eating fish and I just need to get off my lazy butt and scrub rocks with a toothbrush. :lol:

Maybe, not sure how aggressive the Lionfish is at stinging. The Foxface can sting but would rather not. He and the Kole get into it on a regular basis. Lots of pushing around with stingers blaring but no damage. The yellow knows better, mostly.

Maybe, not sure how aggressive the Lionfish is at stinging. The Foxface can sting but would rather not. He and the Kole get into it on a regular basis. Lots of pushing around with stingers blaring but no damage. The yellow knows better, mostly.

The lions aren't aggressive at all about stinging. I more worry about clueless fish running right into them and stinging themselves. Granted, the eel goes all nuts at feeding time and just sort of thrashes about all over the tank. He bumps smack into the lions all the time and he's never been stung that I'm aware of. The tang did wedge herself up under the rocks during the cleaning and the lions go under the rocks during cleaning too, so she could have bumped into one, but not sure that was the case.

• Like 2

Gena actually suggested a Foxface to me. Again, I wasn't sure if it would be too crammed in a 40B. Seems like a good option if it would be ok in my size tank. I also wasn't sure if they get aggressive at all. The lionfish are predators, but honestly they are so laid back. If they can't eat something it one gulp then they leave it alone. They aren't aggressive or harass other fish or anything. I just don't want to get something that would pick at them or stress them out.

Yep, Ben has suggested a foxface to me in the past. They seem like they'd be GREAT algae eaters but I have a problem with having a "venomous" fish in my house. I got rid of my grandis palys because I read they are the most deadly of the palythoas. I think I narrowed my tank inhabitants down to only fluffy-happy-feelgood fluffy stuff :lol:.
  • Like 3

Yep, Ben has suggested a foxface to me in the past. They seem like they'd be GREAT algae eaters but I have a problem with having a "venomous" fish in my house. I got rid of my grandis palys because I read they are the most deadly of the palythoas. I think I narrowed my tank inhabitants down to only fluffy-happy-feelgood fluffy stuff :lol:.

The venomous issue really doesn't concern me obviously, but I worry about how quickly they get really big. The venomous fish was nerve racking at the beginning, but that's worn off now and its all routine. Its really not hard to avoid getting stung, so I don't worry much at all. I love the lions and they don't ever try to sting me. The only way I'd get stung was if I bumped my bare hand right into one of their spines. So basically, if I want to work bare handed, I just have to pay attention to where the lions are hanging out, which is easy because they generally sit still (other than Draco). If I'm doing much work at all, I just throw on the thick, should height gloves so that I'm safe to work and I can bump into them with no worries.

• Like 2

The venomous issue really doesn't concern me obviously, but I worry about how quickly they get really big. The venomous fish was nerve racking at the beginning, but that's worn off now and its all routine. Its really not hard to avoid getting stung, so I don't worry much at all. I love the lions and they don't ever try to sting me. The only way I'd get stung was if I bumped my bare hand right into one of their spines. So basically, if I want to work bare handed, I just have to pay attention to where the lions are hanging out, which is easy because they generally sit still (other than Draco). If I'm doing much work at all, I just throw on the thick, should height gloves so that I'm safe to work and I can bump into them with no worries.

Curious, I wonder if all these venomous Lionfish use the same venon and if there are any differences in the severity of the sting (assuming the same general sized fish). I've only dealt with a Volitan and needless to say I was VERY cautious removing it from a 300g tank.

• Like 1

Curious, I wonder if all these venomous Lionfish use the same venon and if there are any differences in the severity of the sting (assuming the same general sized fish). I've only dealt with a Volitan and needless to say I was VERY cautious removing it from a 300g tank.

I think they use the same venom, but they inject different amounts based on how big their spines are and the anatomy of their spines. How much they inject would also depend on how deep the puncture is. Seems like it can be pretty variable depending on the circumstances. I was definitely very cautious when I added each of them to the tank, and I am still very careful during my cleanings and feeding. They're really very safe if you just practice some basic precautions.

• Like 3

I think they use the same venom, but they inject different amounts based on how big their spines are and the anatomy of their spines. How much they inject would also depend on how deep the puncture is. Seems like it can be pretty variable depending on the circumstances. I was definitely very cautious when I added each of them to the tank, and I am still very careful during my cleanings and feeding. They're really very safe if you just practice some basic precautions.

I was never stung by a lionfish in all the years I worked around them. I read however if you do get stung by a lionfish that if you put the stung area in warm/hot water that it neutralizes it until medical attention can be sought. That would probably only be necessary if it was a fairly big lionfish.

• Like 2

Ive never used gloves when working in the tank with my lionfish or waspfish. They pretty much always go to their favorite hiding space when I have my hands in the tank. As long as I confirm where they were hiding and gave them adequate space I dont worry about it too much. I believe they sting as a last resort which typically is if you havent given them enough space once they've gone into a defensive display.

• Like 1

I got nailed on the forearm by a medium sized Volation when I worked at the LFS. Whole arm was burning, swollen and streaking red for the rest of the day. Next morning it was just numb and uncomfortable. I tried using vinegar to neutralize it; that didn't help very much.

• Like 1

I was never stung by a lionfish in all the years I worked around them. I read however if you do get stung by a lionfish that if you put the stung area in warm/hot water that it neutralizes it until medical attention can be sought. That would probably only be necessary if it was a fairly big lionfish.

Yep, you're supposed to run the sting under hot water because the proteins in the venom are temperature labile and the heat denatures them.

I got nailed on the forearm by a medium sized Volation when I worked at the LFS. Whole arm was burning, swollen and streaking red for the rest of the day. Next morning it was just numb and uncomfortable. I tried using vinegar to neutralize it; that didn't help very much.

Ouch! I am definitely trying to avoid this! I don't think vinegar will help with lionfish venom, but heat will.

Ive never used gloves when working in the tank with my lionfish or waspfish. They pretty much always go to their favorite hiding space when I have my hands in the tank. As long as I confirm where they were hiding and gave them adequate space I dont worry about it too much. I believe they sting as a last resort which typically is if you havent given them enough space once they've gone into a defensive display.

Mine are the same except Draco associates me with food, so he follows my hands around while I'm working. I always worry I'm going to bump into him and sting myself. Also, the eel bites fingers, so the gloves prevent that as well.

• Like 2

OMG CONGRATS!!!

So well deserved! You've made the entire forum swoon over your tank and opened a lot of eyes to the potential of keeping predator fish in something other than FOWLR.

• Like 3

OMG CONGRATS!!!

So well deserved! You've made the entire forum swoon over your tank and opened a lot of eyes to the potential of keeping predator fish in something other than FOWLR.

Thank you so much, Mirya! I was so not expecting this and am incredibly flattered! I'm so thrilled that my plan for this tank has worked out so well and that everyone enjoys it so much! I just had the spontaneous idea to try lionfish and wasn't sure how this would all turn out. I am so in love with this tank, so I am really thrilled that other people enjoy it too! I'd love to see more lionfish in mixed reef systems.

• Like 2

I TOTALLY forgot today was the FIRST!!!!! So excited to finally see this up :happydance:.

LOVED the video. Music reminded me of Joel LOL. Everything looks amazing :wub:. Except that eel :scarry: LOL. For real, they freak me out :lol:. He is kinda pretty though I guess :).

Congrats again :).

• Like 1

I TOTALLY forgot today was the FIRST!!!!! So excited to finally see this up :happydance:.

LOVED the video. Music reminded me of Joel LOL. Everything looks amazing :wub:. Except that eel :scarry: LOL. For real, they freak me out :lol:. He is kinda pretty though I guess :).

Congrats again :).

Thank you, Gena! Glad you liked the video. I wasn't sure if people would want to watch an entire 9 minutes of video :) I just used the elevator music stuff in iMovie because I didn't want Youtube to lock it from mobile access for using copyrighted content.

The eel is a cutie. I bet you'd like him if you had some time to watch him in person. Plus he was the star of the feeding portion! :lol:

Congrats on TOTM Felicia! So happy for you and your amazing tank :).

Thank you so much, Jase! I'm so stoked :)

• Like 2

Mine are the same except Draco associates me with food, so he follows my hands around while I'm working. I always worry I'm going to bump into him and sting myself. Also, the eel bites fingers, so the gloves prevent that as well.

Yea I have the same problem with adonia she follows my hands around when im working in the tank which is a bit unnerving. Ive found that she hates my nano flipper and if I just move it in her direction she flares up and then slowly heads to her favorite corner. So that makes things alot easier.

But you definitely have the best habits with using gloves. Im just personally a bit too lazy :lol:

BTW Congrats on TOTM!!!You totally deserve it this tank is stunning.

• Like 1

Yea I have the same problem with adonia she follows my hands around when im working in the tank which is a bit unnerving. Ive found that she hates my nano flipper and if I just move it in her direction she flares up and then slowly heads to her favorite corner. So that makes things alot easier.

But you definitely have the best habits with using gloves. Im just personally a bit too lazy :lol:

BTW Congrats on TOTM!!!You totally deserve it this tank is stunning.

Aw! I love the name Adonia! Luckily she is scared of something and you can shoo her off. Draco is unfazed by everything. I can flap my hand at him or push at him with the tongs and he won't back off. He's like that overly love-y dog that won't stop jumping on you...just with venomous spines :lol: I get lazy with the gloves if I just have to be in the tank for a moment, but when I'm doing a full cleaning or something that takes a while then I always put on the gloves. I usually wear them at feeding time too because that's when the eel likes to bite.

Thank you so much! :D

• Like 1

Aw! I love the name Adonia! Luckily she is scared of something and you can shoo her off. Draco is unfazed by everything. I can flap my hand at him or push at him with the tongs and he won't back off. He's like that overly love-y dog that won't stop jumping on you...just with venomous spines :lol: I get lazy with the gloves if I just have to be in the tank for a moment, but when I'm doing a full cleaning or something that takes a while then I always put on the gloves. I usually wear them at feeding time too because that's when the eel likes to bite.

Thank you so much! :D

Thanks :) One of my other lions was the same as Draco...maybe even a bit worse and I found the only thing that could give me some breathing room was blowing the turkey baster at him. I surprised him real good the first time and from that point after all I had to do was place it in the tank and he would back off.

Awesome pics everything looks so healthy!

• Like 1

Thanks :) One of my other lions was the same as Draco...maybe even a bit worse and I found the only thing that could give me some breathing room was blowing the turkey baster at him. I surprised him real good the first time and from that point after all I had to do was place it in the tank and he would back off.

Awesome pics everything looks so healthy!

Ha! That's pretty great. Kind of like a squirt bottle for cats. I'll have to try the baster on Draco.

Thank you! :)