Cultivated Reef

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

Awesome growth shots!!!!! I think I need some pulsing xenia now for my fuge :wub:.

I LOVE the table you built! I need a new patio table..something long like that but with a hole in the middle for an umbrella.

I'm going to show my husband the photo of yours. He's pretty handy with building things too. Nice work!!!!!

Oh...we need a new FTS too ;).

Awesome growth shots!!!!! I think I need some pulsing xenia now for my fuge :wub:.

I LOVE the table you built! I need a new patio table..something long like that but with a hole in the middle for an umbrella.

I'm going to show my husband the photo of yours. He's pretty handy with building things too. Nice work!!!!!

Oh...we need a new FTS too ;).

Send me your address in a PM and I'll mail you a bit. Stuff grows pretty quick. You're in Burbank aren't you?

The table is embarrassingly easy to build. If you have a compound miter saw and a pocket hole (Kreg) jig, you can do it in a day. You might need to play with the design if you want an umbrella though. The current design has a 4x4 running down the middle for support. I don't think you could drill a big enough hole for an umbrella pole and maintain the strength.

• Like 1

Send me your address in a PM and I'll mail you a bit. Stuff grows pretty quick. You're in Burbank aren't you?

The table is embarrassingly easy to build. If you have a compound miter saw and a pocket hole (Kreg) jig, you can do it in a day. You might need to play with the design if you want an umbrella though. The current design has a 4x4 running down the middle for support. I don't think you could drill a big enough hole for an umbrella pole and maintain the strength.

:flower: Sent!

I think he has all that stuff :happydance:.

It's not a FTS per-say, but a nice side view.

ef443d2c-a752-4ea0-8e0d-40b338dd9526_zps

:wub: so gorgeous.

Why is it that the moment I feed the tank, that's the exact moment all the fish decide that they need to take huge craps? So it's mysis, rotifers, cyclops... and a ton of shit.

• Like 2

A couple of hours after it's 30 minute fresh water dip, here's my maxima, looking no worse for the wear. Everything I've read says that a few days after the dip, the mantle will uncurl and look normal. Let's hope so!

Post-Dip%20Clam_zpsd0sy0vnc.jpg

I don't think that is a Maxima. Crocea or Squamosa maybe.

How is it doing now?

You could be right. I really don't know how to tell the difference between crocea, squamosa and maxima, though I think squamosa is supposed to have a pretty symmetrical shell (as tall as it is wide).

Honestly, the clam doesn't seem to change much. Mantle extension is terrific, and it shows very strong photo-sensitivity. It still looks almost exactly like it does in that photo, with the curls and folds in it's mantle. The RO dip didn't seem to change anything. There is always a nice bright white growth ridge on the shell, so I suppose it's feeling okay?

I picked up a pretty cool neon green leather last week. It's pretty tiny right now, but the mother colony is outrageous. I believe it's nepthea, but could be sinularia. It's going to live in my fuge for now, and de-pink the place!

1f38fba2-5bb4-4c55-9d2b-960affeef017_zps

• Like 3

Dang dude that table is sweet!!! My dad is currently making a kitchen table out of reclaimed wood from an old Amish barn.

Those goblin Zoas are bright dude! Me want!! Lol!

• Like 1

Dang dude that table is sweet!!! My dad is currently making a kitchen table out of reclaimed wood from an old Amish barn.

Those goblin Zoas are bright dude! Me want!! Lol!

Thanks for reminding me. I put a base coat of stain on that bad boy. Dark walnut. I plan on doing a gray-wash on top for a weathered look. You can see the bench in the front.

IMG_20150411_173426_664_zpsb96eef48.jpg

Absolutely beautiful!!! I can't get enough. Wow. You're making me so excited for the light! I have so much to aspire to now.

You're very kind... Following along with other peoples' tanks is a blessing and curse. There are so many incredibly talented reef-keepers at your disposal to provide advice and inspiration... but they also facilitate what can easily become an obsession!

• Like 2

You could be right. I really don't know how to tell the difference between crocea, squamosa and maxima, though I think squamosa is supposed to have a pretty symmetrical shell (as tall as it is wide).

Honestly, the clam doesn't seem to change much. Mantle extension is terrific, and it shows very strong photo-sensitivity. It still looks almost exactly like it does in that photo, with the curls and folds in it's mantle. The RO dip didn't seem to change anything. There is always a nice bright white growth ridge on the shell, so I suppose it's feeling okay?

It's definitely stressed. This is a picture of my crocea when I had it

20140422_110424.jpg

I sent that picture to JAmes Fartheree, the quintessential God of clams. He said it was pinched mantle. My clam was about 5-7 years old and I was I think the 3rd or 4th tank it had lived in. So given the history, pinched mantle would not have had it living for too long. This was a stress response which perhaps exasperated a pinched mantle condition, much like stress can present Ick on fish. Anyway, I dipped it in FW according to James Fartheree's book on clams. And put it in my fuge which has poor flow.

20140512_190718.jpg

It lived happily for several months before I sold it. It was gorgeous, it had no place in my fuge, it was meant for a display tank.

So this why I think your clam is stressed, it could be too much flow, it could be something irritating it. The mantle should sit flat and relaxed no matter the species of clam.

Thanks Kat. The stress response makes more sense than PM, given the fact that it's been like that for months (without dying) and the freshwater dip didn't change anything. I'll see if there's any high light area in the tank with lower flow.

P.S. Why didn't anyone tell me MAX was in my neighborhood this weekend?! Looks like I need to go get some cash!

Thanks for reminding me. I put a base coat of stain on that bad boy. Dark walnut. I plan on doing a gray-wash on top for a weathered look. You can see the benc

Looks great dude post the finished product When your done!

Thanks for reminding me. I put a base coat of stain on that bad boy. Dark walnut. I plan on doing a gray-wash on top for a weathered look. You can see the bench in the front.

Love the way that came out man....absolutely beautiful work.

Looks great dude post the finished product When your done!

Love the way that came out man....absolutely beautiful work.

Thanks guys. I applied a gray-wash stain finish to the table and bench. I immediately regretted doing it... It didn't come out like I planned. Where I expected more of a wash, it coated the furniture almost like paint. The pieces show a little more of the wood grain than the photo shows, but not as much as I'd hoped. It is growing on me a little, but I plan to do some sanding this weekend, to see if I can take off some of the gray, to show more of the brown underneath.

I'm posting a photo, not because I'm happy with, or proud of the way it looks, but because I want to show honest progression. Much in the same way that I hate to post photos of my tank when I have algae problems, I think it's good to be real, and document the life of our subject honestly...

The good thing with wood is that you can always sand it down and start over. I want to see what a light sanding will look like. I can always go back to the brown if I hate it!

IMG_20150413_081328_849_zps300a899e.jpg

Thanks guys. I applied a gray-wash stain finish to the table and bench. I immediately regretted doing it... It didn't come out like I planned. Where I expected more of a wash, it coated the furniture almost like paint. The pieces show a little more of the wood grain than the photo shows, but not as much as I'd hoped. It is growing on me a little, but I plan to do some sanding this weekend, to see if I can take off some of the gray, to show more of the brown underneath.

I'm posting a photo, not because I'm happy with, or proud of the way it looks, but because I want to show honest progression. Much in the same way that I hate to post photos of my tank when I have algae problems, I think it's good to be real, and document the life of our subject honestly...

The good thing with wood is that you can always sand it down and start over. I want to see what a light sanding will look like. I can always go back to the brown if I hate it!

IMG_20150413_081328_849_zps300a899e.jpg

Yeah, I see what you are saying. You never know, though, after some sanding, it may come out exactly like you had invisioned. Just take it slow and sand by hand with a high grit and see what happens. I know how it feels. I have had to start over with stain before in the past. It sucks, but like you said, at least you can always start over.

I know that the last batch didn't survive transit, but are you coming down for MAX this weekend? If so, I'll bring you some...

• Like 1

It's definitely stressed. ... it could be too much flow, it could be something irritating it. The mantle should sit flat and relaxed no matter the species of clam.

At your suggestion, I moved the clam (and the whole damn rock it's attached to) to a spot that has significantly less flow, yet still very high light. Now the mantle doesn't ever get blown around. It still looks pretty messed up, but this should go a long way to tell us if it's condition is stress related.

a628ec65-3fb1-4876-8ba4-6838503ce575_zps

Torch looking tough!

769f2814-67ae-4198-a8b6-9aeef215651a_zps

How many fish can you spot?

f2c62f2b-0e5c-45cb-9a74-7350c884f7f3_zps

Foreground Rock

470201ee-38bb-4635-9a0b-a7e97e518911_zps

• Like 6