Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

A couple reasons, the first was to make sure if the clam has pyram snails that they wouldn't spread in the tank. They like to go into the sand under the clam so if I had the clam on the sand bed they could have infested the sand. Second reason is the clam is on a small peice of rock that I am trying to get him to attach to before I move it higher up on my rockwork. Thirdly, the other animals in the tank seem to leave the clam alone since it is inside the container.

Will never look at one of those plastic containers the same.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update coming in a few days.

The short of it is, on Thursday my Nuvo 24 exploded. Cracked down the right side, lost practically all water by the time I came home. Spent 5hrs that night saving my livestock (I think 90% made it). Now this weekend im having to tear up the carpet in that room and replace the padding/clean it. Early next week IM says they will have another tank at my door. Honestly, Im not sure I want to "try" another Nuvo 24 at this point so i'm exhausting other options.

Ill try to keep you guy posted, but things are crazy right now.

I placed my top on mine to prevent my nerites from getting out of the tank and I noticed that the front of the tank is bowing out quite a bit. There is about a 5/8" gap between the center of the front panel and the top, where as on the sides it is about 1/4". Makes me concerned to hear what happened to your tank and whether this thing will hold up.

I placed my top on mine to prevent my nerites from getting out of the tank and I noticed that the front of the tank is bowing out quite a bit. There is about a 5/8" gap between the center of the front panel and the top, where as on the sides it is about 1/4". Makes me concerned to hear what happened to your tank and whether this thing will hold up.
I bet you it's only a matter of time. I would take photos and contact IM. Tell them you have seen way too many end up in disaster and you aren't gonna wait until you come home to an ocean on your living room floor

Ok cancelling this project and picking a different IM tank aperently the false wall on the 38 falls out if you fill the display without the back being equalized

Here's a quick overview for you guys:

IM is sending me another tank. Talked a great deal with Steve over the last few days and IM believes this issue lies with the carriers (UPS/Fedex). He says he has never heard of a tank failing which has been delivered by freight (aka on a pallet). I can back this up with some investigations I did myself - talked to a local store that has sold TONS of the Nuvo 24's and they have had no complaints. I also talked to someone the other day out of coincidence who said he had a friend who's Nuvo 24 cracked and that his friend purchased it from Marine Depot.

So short and sweet of that side of the story is: If you want a Nuvo 24 DO NOT SHIP IT UPS/FEDEX. ONLY ACCEPT THE TANK IF IT ARRIVES VIA LTL ON A PALLET.

Steve assured me that changes have been made in the shipping process at all these retailers and new boxes are being used but I don't trust that as I purchased my tank just 8 weeks ago from a retailer he mentioned by name. Make sure it gets delivered the right way.

I personally think the tank is a little under built (the bent glass on the corners seems to be where the stress cracks all originate). But I also believe this is only a problem if the tank is abused during it's life. If you plan on moving this tank a lot, resting it on uneven surfaces, or getting it online I think you are taking a big risk. However, if you understand this limitation and work around it - I'm pretty sure the tank will out last you.

Innovative Marine has done a fantastic job to make things right. Sure they didn't pay for my carpet repair or upgrade me to a better tank but they have done much more than was required by their warranty. Steve has been responsive, understanding, and quick to act. I was strongly considering ditching the Nuvo 24 and moving to a CADLight tank until I read around some of the horror stories.

If you guys own this tank and had it delivered via UPS you may want to contact IM if you're having trouble sleeping. If it was delivered to your LFS I wouldn't let it bother you. Either way I do suggest a leak detector :D

Lastly, a big shout out to Jeremy (Reef Fever), Charlie, Angel, and Eric@Desert Reef for all helping when I needed it and/or offering to help. I appreciate it and the local community here in Vegas really is full of some cool ass people. I freaked out at 10PM when I came home to my tank ruptured and a room full of water. The response I got when I started texting some friends was extremely nice. I had an EXTREMELY rough week (for numerous reasons, one of which is far worse then even this tank explosion) so it's good to know people are there when you need them.

Now, here are some pictures of the catastrophe. I don't believe I have lost any livestock (except a Pistol Shrimp I forget existed) but I won't know until the new tank gets setup.

BCNgemZ.jpg

AVD3LrX.jpg4ZMJRAx.jpglo6a3k8.jpg

Oh and for all the haters earlier:

IF I HAD COME HOME LATER IN THE NIGHT THE CLAM WOULD BE THE ONLY THING ALIVE. Don't hate on the Tupperware. (hahaha)

:P:P:P:P:P

Ok cancelling this project and picking a different IM tank aperently the false wall on the 38 falls out if you fill the display without the back being equalized

Apparently this was a design flaw on the first set of tanks. Inspect your tank at a local fish store before buying and make sure it has the glass separation wall behind the black false wall. All of their tanks now have this I was told.

Glad to hear you salvaged most of the tank and on your way to rebuilding after this. I purchased my tank from marine depot so naturally concerned. But I did feel the packaging was done well with a box within a box and lots of styro peanuts in between.

HammerheadV13

I am glad that you didn't lose anything and that IM is making it right. I ordered mine from Marine Depot and am starting to wonder if I should be proactive about this? I'm not sure IM is in the habit of replacing tanks before they crack, but I don't want to come home to a busted tank either.

Glad to hear you salvaged most of the tank and on your way to rebuilding after this. I purchased my tank from marine depot so naturally concerned. But I did feel the packaging was done well with a box within a box and lots of styro peanuts in between.

Mine was packaged the same way but only time will tell.

Mine was packaged that way. However the outer box was kind of oddly done, it was two bigger boxes sandwiched together over the tank's box.

I am glad that you didn't lose anything and that IM is making it right. I ordered mine from Marine Depot and am starting to wonder if I should be proactive about this? I'm not sure IM is in the habit of replacing tanks before they crack, but I don't want to come home to a busted tank either.

Mine was packaged the same way but only time will tell.

Yeah they may not be thrilled that I'm suggesting people to contact them but in the long run a happy customer is better than a furious customer. I don't want anyone else to have their room flooded and thousands in livestock die.

Tank is being delivered tomorrow. Charlie tells me that its thicker glass! Got the Apex JR fixed and all setup plus I premade a bunch of saltwater for the big switch back. Wish me luck!

Tank is being delivered tomorrow. Charlie tells me that its thicker glass! Got the Apex JR fixed and all setup plus I premade a bunch of saltwater for the big switch back. Wish me luck!

Is it now 8mm vs 6mm? Steve @ IM didn't mention that to you when discussing the replacement?

Jesus, this is terrifying. I won a Nuvo 24, as many of you probably know from my build thread, and as such it was one of the first produced and shipped out. After seeing all of these disasters I am seriously considering trying to sell this tank and move to a PicO II or III. I can't have a tank that has a 50/50 chance of catastrophic failure (which, judging by the failures here on this forum, seems to be the ratio).

I'm crossing my fingers that my only saving grace is that my tank did come shipped on a pallet via Freight and I helped the guys unload it (very carefully). Maybe this will give me some luck?

I'm especially worried because I don't have another tank to transfer all of my inhabitants to in the event of a failure. I could only hope to put everything in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead and salvage enough water to cover it. I guess it would be back to the LFS for credit at that point.

Jesus, this is terrifying. I won a Nuvo 24, as many of you probably know from my build thread, and as such it was one of the first produced and shipped out. After seeing all of these disasters I am seriously considering trying to sell this tank and move to a PicO II or III. I can't have a tank that has a 50/50 chance of catastrophic failure (which, judging by the failures here on this forum, seems to be the ratio).

I'm crossing my fingers that my only saving grace is that my tank did come shipped on a pallet via Freight and I helped the guys unload it (very carefully). Maybe this will give me some luck?

I'm especially worried because I don't have another tank to transfer all of my inhabitants to in the event of a failure. I could only hope to put everything in a 5 gallon bucket with a powerhead and salvage enough water to cover it. I guess it would be back to the LFS for credit at that point.

Honestly you should be ok since it was handled carefully. Always have some premixed saltwater hanging around and go grab a big tub just in case ;)

Here's a quick overview for you guys:

IM is sending me another tank. Talked a great deal with Steve over the last few days and IM believes this issue lies with the carriers (UPS/Fedex). He says he has never heard of a tank failing which has been delivered by freight (aka on a pallet). I can back this up with some investigations I did myself - talked to a local store that has sold TONS of the Nuvo 24's and they have had no complaints. I also talked to someone the other day out of coincidence who said he had a friend who's Nuvo 24 cracked and that his friend purchased it from Marine Depot.

So short and sweet of that side of the story is: If you want a Nuvo 24 DO NOT SHIP IT UPS/FEDEX. ONLY ACCEPT THE TANK IF IT ARRIVES VIA LTL ON A PALLET.

Steve assured me that changes have been made in the shipping process at all these retailers and new boxes are being used but I don't trust that as I purchased my tank just 8 weeks ago from a retailer he mentioned by name. Make sure it gets delivered the right way.

I personally think the tank is a little under built (the bent glass on the corners seems to be where the stress cracks all originate). But I also believe this is only a problem if the tank is abused during it's life. If you plan on moving this tank a lot, resting it on uneven surfaces, or getting it online I think you are taking a big risk. However, if you understand this limitation and work around it - I'm pretty sure the tank will out last you.

Innovative Marine has done a fantastic job to make things right. Sure they didn't pay for my carpet repair or upgrade me to a better tank but they have done much more than was required by their warranty. Steve has been responsive, understanding, and quick to act. I was strongly considering ditching the Nuvo 24 and moving to a CADLight tank until I read around some of the horror stories.

If you guys own this tank and had it delivered via UPS you may want to contact IM if you're having trouble sleeping. If it was delivered to your LFS I wouldn't let it bother you. Either way I do suggest a leak detector :D

Lastly, a big shout out to Jeremy (Reef Fever), Charlie, Angel, and Eric@Desert Reef for all helping when I needed it and/or offering to help. I appreciate it and the local community here in Vegas really is full of some cool ass people. I freaked out at 10PM when I came home to my tank ruptured and a room full of water. The response I got when I started texting some friends was extremely nice. I had an EXTREMELY rough week (for numerous reasons, one of which is far worse then even this tank explosion) so it's good to know people are there when you need them.

Now, here are some pictures of the catastrophe. I don't believe I have lost any livestock (except a Pistol Shrimp I forget existed) but I won't know until the new tank gets setup.

BCNgemZ.jpg

AVD3LrX.jpg4ZMJRAx.jpglo6a3k8.jpg

Oh and for all the haters earlier:

IF I HAD COME HOME LATER IN THE NIGHT THE CLAM WOULD BE THE ONLY THING ALIVE. Don't hate on the Tupperware. (hahaha)

:P:P:P:P:P

Apparently this was a design flaw on the first set of tanks. Inspect your tank at a local fish store before buying and make sure it has the glass separation wall behind the black false wall. All of their tanks now have this I was told.

Sorry to hear this, I went through the same thing September 17! Steve at IM basically told me the same thing. My tank cracked about two inches away from the bend in the glass. I have been able to save almost everything. I will upload pictures for you to see later.

If aquarium tanks follow the bathtub model for failure, most of these tanks seem to have broken early on, actually many soon after cycling. Since there are a few on this forum beyond that point we can only assume that those tanks will last.

I really don't think it's a shipping issue but rather a production issue. I purchased a replacement tank from someone else thinking this was a fluke. I will go home and measure my glass to see if there has been a change. When I opened the box to inspect it, it did seem thick compared to my JBJ.

I keep a small Biocube 14 on hand just in case.

HammerheadV13

I am curious to see what the thickness of the glass is. I wonder if IM would issue a recall for tanks in a certain serial # range, or for those tanks using thinner glass? If in fact there is a newer version out there? I know that they made a revision to the Nuvo 16 after a lot of the tanks false walls failed. Seems like tank development is a work in progress.

Archived