Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

Angel<3Nanos
I love going to Erics shop mainly because Eric is awesome. :) Sonny and Ho are great too. But I go to Blue Reef most often just because its the closest to me. Have you been to Pisces reef yet? If not, go check it out. Damon just opened it and its hands down the nicest store in Vegas.

What? Where's Pisces reef at? Id like to check it out. Tho im a loyal costumer to sonny. That guy gets me freebies and deals all the time! :)

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? Where's Pisces reef at? Id like to check it out. Tho im a loyal costumer to sonny. That guy gets me freebies and deals all the time! :)

9326 W Sahara Ave, Las Vegas, NV

Picked up two expensive Cichlids for my freshwater tank there today :-) Nice place! Corals are a little steep tho.

Also picked up a Green Chromis and a Cleaner Shrimp from Eric @ Desert Reef Co!

Angel<3Nanos

9326 W Sahara Ave, Las Vegas, NV

Picked up two expensive Cichlids for my freshwater tank there today :-) Nice place! Corals are a little steep tho.

Also picked up a Green Chromis and a Cleaner Shrimp from Eric @ Desert Reef Co!

Dang! i need to check it out next time im off.

Angel<3Nanos

I just need to check out Vegas. My wife has been there twice and I have never been. Hope to go sometime in the near future.

lol just dont come during summer.... i dont think you will like walking the strip at 120 degrees man lol

lol just dont come during summer.... i dont think you will like walking the strip at 120 degrees man lol

120 degrees! Wow! What is the weather like in December or late March? These are times my family can travel together.

december is cold. But not bad. march is good also, not too cold or hot.

Thanks much for the info. I'm sure your definition of cold is nothing like mine where it can get below 0 regularly in Chicago during an extreme winter. Seems like March would be the best bet.

Alright this was pretty cool. The Talbot Damsel has staked out his claim on the cave on the right rock. I put a Nassarius snail in the tank and the snail started making its way toward the cave. The Damsel freaked out and started whipping sand in the snail's face with his tail (he wasn't facing away swiping with his tail - he was facing the snail and kicking his tail forward if that makes sense). After getting a few loads of sand in the face the snail turned around and left.

I really believe that damsels are underrated. There are some great varieties available with intense coloration and neat patterns. They are very cost effective, disease resistant, accept almost any food type, and generally stay relatively small. Sure their territorial but some varieties are a bit more docile than many other fish we add to our aquariums. As long as you have plenty of caves and areas to hide, they will do just fine in your aquarium. Cool story about your damsel and thanks for the updates.

HammerheadV13

Is your skimmer broken in? I'm debating the IM or Tunze, and after hearing all the problems people are having with overflow/micro bubbles I am hoping the 9002 will be a more reliable option.

Still tweaking it right now. I have the in tank slim cup on it. The cup doesn't fit as well as I would have expected but it does seem functional.

Is your skimmer broken in? I'm debating the IM or Tunze, and after hearing all the problems people are having with overflow/micro bubbles I am hoping the 9002 will be a more reliable option.

I own the IM skimmer and it is running great for me. It did have about a 3 week break in period and I did need to make a couple of adjustments to the placement of the skimmer to get it running optimally. I use to notice micro bubbles when feeding, but not anymore. The skimmer has been up and running for 6 months with no issues.

post-80849-0-80106400-1376825994_thumb.jpg

Left for a night and came back and the tank is 82.5 deg. Is this a problem? Don't think it would creep much higher. Should I get some fans?

Also my cleaner shrimp and porcelain crab have gone missing. Hopefully just molting!

Left for a night and came back and the tank is 82.5 deg. Is this a problem? Don't think it would creep much higher. Should I get some fans?

Also my cleaner shrimp and porcelain crab have gone missing. Hopefully just molting!

My aquarium has been as high as 87 degrees without an issue. As long as you have good water motion and well oxygenated water your aquarium will be fine. Some expert aquarists actually keep their tanks at 84 degrees. If you do buy a fan, it will help but will also cause more evaporation so remember to top off more frequently. Also, a few of the hang on the back fans can be noisy so only use it when you need it.

Temperature becomes a problem when you have swings of more than 4 degrees in a short period of time. It's not always about how high the temp is but how fast it climbed. I was having issues with my aquarium temperature reaching in the mid to upper 80's earlier this summer so I ended up buying a chiller. I now have a huge piece of mind and my water temp stays stable. Needed this due to having SPS corals. As you can see by the photo my aquarium is between 80 and 81 degrees.

post-80849-0-19057100-1376885307_thumb.jpg

Looks like my tank was not fully cycled as I had hoped. Just tested and found 2ppm nitrite. Immediately changed 5gal water and added Prime to de-tox. Going to keep a close eye on this - the fish seem fine right now but like I said, two of my inverts are MIA.

Looks like I found my crab - hiding behind the rocks. I also see a portion of shrimp shell floating around so I assume he is molting. Phew.

Update for you guys: Nitrite has fallen back to 0 so i'm considering it cycled! Added two fish yesterday, a Black & White Clown and a Banggai Cardinal. The Coral Beauty may get added today if I can make it to the LFS.

Added several frags and moved over the last of the stuff from the small 4g tank. Most placements are temporary except the stuff on the rocks. Sorry the pics aren't better - camera phone :-)

4Np2m2g.jpg

eV9PKsG.jpgOEzmEJJ.jpg3uBfDIJ.jpg

Archived