inTank Media Baskets

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well all water parameters are nearly perfect now except pH. My seneye is still telling me it's crazy low when it shouldn't be. Been opening windows, trying buffers, etc. Nothing seems to have any lasting effect. Skimmer is always running, lights are on full intensity. pH creeps up to 7.85ish in the day and then drops to 7.6ish at night. Everything in the tank seems to be doing great with the exception of a few stubborn Zoas that aren't fully opening (most are fully open tho).

kH is 9.1, temp stays between 78 and 80, Nitrate is 0ppm, SG is 1.025, Phosphate has been holding at 0.08, Mg at 1280 and Calc at 470.

Totally stumped on the pH thing. I think to myself maybe the seneye is off.. but then i test with API and get 7.8 when Seneye says 7.8. The API test leaves a lot to be desired with readability tho so I am going to take the water to Desert Reef in a day or two and have them use a Hanna checker on it.

Lots of additions and things to update on. Hopefully get some quality pics soon.

Added:

A beautiful 1.75" Maxima Clam!

Neon Green Trachy Brain

Lots of Zoa frags glued down

A small female Yellow Watchman Goby

A Randall's Pistol Shrimp (the two have not met each other yet)

Another (huge!) White Porcelean Crab

Two Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp

Some snails from ReefCleaners

The tank is really coming along. Water parameters are improving constantly (finally 0 nitrate!) and the pH seems to have stabilized. Goes up to 8.3 during day and down to 8.1 at night.

I borrowed my mom's nice point and shoot but it just refuses to take decent pictures. The custom white balance is nice but the auto focus ruins everything. I can never get a properly focused picture when using the custom white balance. Its sad but my cell phone ends up taking better pictures - albeit with a very blue tint.

So does that mean pics soon , get lot so the clam please

By special request :lol: It's in the tub for now so I can determine that all pests are truly gone and so it will attach to a small slab of rock underneath it.

Fjj4pDA.jpg0uRM5D2.jpg

Whats that pinkish purple coral behind the clam bowl that looks like a bowl

Pagoda Cup Coral - you mean the one that looks like a satellite dish right? That's what my GF calls it haha.

Lol you must have a good coral supplier ;)

Yup! But for some reason when he orders things for his own tank they all arrive dead. Not sure what is up with that!

These little Zig Zag snails I got from Reefcleaners keep ####ing climbing out of my tank. Guess I should have read the description on them more carefully haha.

The Florida Cerith's are taking their sweet time coming out of their shells.

Yup! But for some reason when he orders things for his own tank they all arrive dead. Not sure what is up with that!

These little Zig Zag snails I got from Reefcleaners keep ####ing climbing out of my tank. Guess I should have read the description on them more carefully haha.

yea he seems to have shitty luck, always wants the harder to find stuff that doesn't ship well.

Sucks about the snails though lol! Gonna have to make a snail screen!

Man I am loving that clam! I want one for my tank but every one I had seen seemed too large for my tank. This one seems about the perfect size. How much bigger will it get?

Was the eBay deal for the corals worth it? It looks like you got some great zoas in there. And I'm digging the coral selection. Is going to look awesome once they all start to grow and fill in the empty spaces.

I spoke to John about the Florida Cerith's and he said that this is common, I've had mine in my tank now for 4 days and some of them are in the same spot as when I dropped them in, most of them have moved along. I'm also running my top on mine to limit the Nerite suicides until they learn their boundaries.

Man I am loving that clam! I want one for my tank but every one I had seen seemed too large for my tank. This one seems about the perfect size. How much bigger will it get?

Was the eBay deal for the corals worth it? It looks like you got some great zoas in there. And I'm digging the coral selection. Is going to look awesome once they all start to grow and fill in the empty spaces.

I spoke to John about the Florida Cerith's and he said that this is common, I've had mine in my tank now for 4 days and some of them are in the same spot as when I dropped them in, most of them have moved along. I'm also running my top on mine to limit the Nerite suicides until they learn their boundaries.

The clam is 1.75" - like all Maxima's it will eventually grow to be up to 8". If it gets too big I'll just sell it.

The ebay deal was alright. The shipper did a good job packaging but about 1/3rd of the frags came off their plugs during shipping so I think he did a pretty poor glue job. I'd say 90% of them are healthy though. Can't beat the prices though thats for sure. This tank has a crazy amount of money in the display but I'm certain I would have spent double if I had shopped exclusively at local fish stores.

Sangheili- do u have a coral in a plastic container with no lid inside the tank? What purpose does that serve?

It's a clam. He mentions he's doing it to check for pests above.

If pests are present, wouldn't they contaminate the tank still?

I would assume so - I'm just claiming that's what he said earlier in the thread ;) .

Sangheili- do u have a coral in a plastic container with no lid inside the tank? What purpose does that serve?

A couple reasons, the first was to make sure if the clam has pyram snails that they wouldn't spread in the tank. They like to go into the sand under the clam so if I had the clam on the sand bed they could have infested the sand. Second reason is the clam is on a small peice of rock that I am trying to get him to attach to before I move it higher up on my rockwork. Thirdly, the other animals in the tank seem to leave the clam alone since it is inside the container.

Archived