sangheili

Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

ninjamyst

Just read through the thread because i LOVE the dimension on this tank. I saw one at the LFS and I wanted one so bad. But no space in my tiny condo for it. And the bigger the tank, the more money you got to spend to fill it =P.

How did you get it to cycle so fast? It seems like it cycled in a few days, and you were able to add stuff to it already. Also, how did your shipment from Ebay survive for so many days in transit??

• Like 1

sangheili

I had the air setting too high yesterday and it was filling the skimmate box (InTank Slim) but it didn't overflow. I'm not sure it will - seems like if it's too wet it will just flow back into the skimmer. I could be wrong though... but it has definetely not exploded with skimmate on me. Even if it did, with the InTank cup it would just overflow into the sump chamber.

HammerheadV13

True, that is definitely an awesome feature with the inTank cup. I like that it sits within the dimensions of the sump and not outside like the IM.

• Like 1

sangheili

Just read through the thread because i LOVE the dimension on this tank. I saw one at the LFS and I wanted one so bad. But no space in my tiny condo for it. And the bigger the tank, the more money you got to spend to fill it =P.

How did you get it to cycle so fast? It seems like it cycled in a few days, and you were able to add stuff to it already. Also, how did your shipment from Ebay survive for so many days in transit??

A combination of things. BioSpira + Live Sand + Live Rock from a previously cycled tank. When I added several fish it also went through another mini-cycle but I have not seen any nitrite since then. The BioSpira really seemed to help. I also tried to use some filter floss/water from the cycled tank also. I probably added 2-4 pounds of live rock and the rest dry rock later on.

The ebay shipment all lived perfectly. I was surprised but it seems Zoas and Softies are pretty hardy. Even the Duncan lived and is doing well.

Cameron6796

Good to hear everything is all right

sangheili

Good to hear everything is all right

Still lots of micro bubbles :-/ I think I cut it in half though.

Another cool thing is that the one Aiptasia bud that was clearly identifiable disappeared the other night. Some other smaller things that sort of looked like baby Aiptasia are also gone. Yay Peppermint Shrimp!

sangheili

Man I really want this wierdo but it's so hard to justify the shipping costs: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=199234

Wish they had more oddball inverts. I love crabs/shrimp.

One day I'm going to do a coldwater tank so I can house all the oddball crabs and things I used to catch off the Washington coast when I was a kid. Purple Shore Crab and Baby Dungeness Crab!

sangheili

Looks like the tank is starting to grow some light green algae on the dry rock. Did some googling and found out that this usually precedes purple Coraline algae.

Angel<3Nanos

Awesome :)

Jay Wee

Dude awesome tank man. Nice rock work.

• Like 1

sangheili

Just got my Phosphate/Nitrate Red Sea Pro test kit! Amazingly better then the API tests. Nitrate is at 3ppm and Phosphate is 0.12ppm. API test as far as I could tell was showing me 5-10ppm Nitrate and 0.25ppm Phosphate. Nice to have confidence in the results for once...

• Like 1

defender.TX

Just got my Phosphate/Nitrate Red Sea Pro test kit! Amazingly better then the API tests. Nitrate is at 3ppm and Phosphate is 0.12ppm. API test as far as I could tell was showing me 5-10ppm Nitrate and 0.25ppm Phosphate. Nice to have confidence in the results for once...

That's basically what I discovered, the Red Sea kits were way more accurate than the API ones. My father-in-law is head pharmacist at a hospital in San Antonio so he is a big chemistry nerd. When I picked up the Red Sea kit he was really interested and looked it all over - he claimed the Red Sea Nitrate Pro kit is as accurate as the tests they use to test Nitrates in solutions at the hospital. So they are definitely very accurate!

• Like 1

HammerheadV13
Looks like the tank is starting to grow some light green algae on the dry rock. Did some googling and found out that this usually precedes purple Coraline algae.

Awesome! I'm eager to see some of my dry rock encrusted in coralline.

sangheili

Tank seems to be thriving. All my acans are opening up big and fat. They really love the mysis I have been shooting at them lately. Nitrate dropped today - down to 1.5ppm! Phosphate is still higher then I'd like at 0.12ppm and I think that is what is feeding this growth of algae. Hopefully the bloom will knock it down some in a few days. Fish are all happy and eating well. The coral beauty has seemingly fully recovered from his minor issues (he was rubbing his eye on the rock for a day or two when I first added him). Melafix is an amazing cure - I have had huge success with it now in both FW and SW tanks.

And the best news, the skimmer seems to be doing better! Still getting some bubbles but probably a good 2x less then when I did the full on breakdown/cleaning. Also it seems to be skimming very stably now, making a consistent foam level at the top of the cup's pipe (not sure the technical name). Hoping that things keep improving with it - I think tweaking the water level and modifying the cup helped a lot.

• Like 1

sangheili

Does anyone have experience with Purple Lobsters? I'm assuming they are a bad idea lol

Cameron6796

If any of your fish are to small it could be a problem they are oportunistic feeders and need a deeper sand bed enough to make a borrow and some rubble rock or small stones

sangheili

So he's gonna dig a hole and never come out of it? Lol

Cameron6796

Kind of but if your lucky and it borrows out front you will see it lots as it will constantly clear its burrow

Breakthecycle2

I think rdck99 made a similar mod to his IM Skimmer to capture the micro bubbles. Are you having any overflow issues? This is a big concern for me as I have my tank sitting on my TV stand and all the wires for my stereo components are right below where an overflow might occur. Random overflows are a recurring theme for the IM skimmer.

I don't think anyone should be wasting their time with the IM skimmer. I have had two. They are complete garbage.

• Like 1

sangheili

Added a small Hollywood Stunner Chalice frag and a Striped Cleaner Shrimp today! Also got my Red Sea Mg/KH/Ca test kit the other day and tested my tank. Looking good! Nitrate down below 1ppm now! Only thing is diatoms grow on the glass after a few days and the green algae continues to grow on the rock. I think I may have a phosphate issue but it will take time to see. I have GFO and Chemipure Elite in the media baskets. Considering grabbing an IM reactor to put GFO in to see if that will help. Seem to keep testing Phos around 0.12 to 0.15. Maybe it is leaching out of my dry rock? I used BRS Reef Saver and it had a fair bit of die-off still on it (tried to pick most of it off). Probably should have acid bathed it all but I'm way too impatient!

sangheili

Been fighting low PH a little the last week. Seems to be mostly stemming from co2 in the apartment. Anyway yesterday I opened a window and dosed a small amount of Aquavitro Balance. pH showing a marked imprmovement now. However it seems either the ph swing or the melafix (the coral beauty has a mild cloudy eye) did my cardinal in. He was gasping for air last night and this morning I found him upside down. In addition, my flame algae came off its zip tie and one of my zoa frags came off the plug. Ugh - frustrating morning.

Everything else seems very happy/healthy. I added 3 more Sexy Shrimp yesterday as well and they are all hanging out in the same area. I'll try to grab some pictures this weekend.

Cameron6796

So the flame angels eating corals yikes

sangheili

So the flame angels eating corals yikes

No flame, just a coral beauty. I haven't seen him eat any but he does "pick" at the rock between polyps sometimes. He may have inadvertently bumped the polyps off the frag plug. Or it could have been one of these ninja star snails I added last week. I saw one this evening on the other side of the tank basically squishing a zoa polyp under on of it's spikes.

HammerheadV13

How does your rock look? Any coralline growth yet?

sangheili

Not yet. The algae is still growing a bit but I think it has slowed. Got 20 frags delivered today from eBay. Going to choose what I like and trade/sell the others.